Bills Training Camp: Day 3 - 7/27

56 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

So I checked out training camp today. 

First, I hate training camp. Half these dudes out there are already limping. These injuries will pile up quickly. Baffles me every year how these guys are professional athletes and within a week of practice, they are walking like their 80 years old. 

Second, I think Allen’s media reports of him having a great day are being blown out of proportion. The kid could always throw when he has no zero pressure of him. That’s really all you seen today. He would have been sacked on a lot of his great plays. Some of these throws were 5 secs in the pocket.  He is still not throwing with anticipation or thinking quick enough.  Now is the time to be getting better at that even if it means incompletions.  I’m hoping it gets better as camp goes on, but he hasn’t been good with those things since freshman year in college. Not sure he will ever get it. 

Third, the o line they are rolling out is not the best they can do. Ford is a guard, not a tackle. He was getting burned on the outside of him all day. He’s not quick enough.  They need to get a Ty or Waddell in at RT ASAP.  Spain is really frickin good and Dawkins looks good with a good guard next to him.  Even with the additional o line players brought in, I think we will struggle to find 8 good ones. Teller is a disaster. Wish Sirles was healthy 

So glad that even though we have all those professional reporters and other observers out there tweeting non stop that we have you out there to give us the real story. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Those aren’t the same thing? 

They are not.  I know plenty of people that have an opinion that aren't capable of thinking.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ddaryl said:

SO 3 training camp practices. Has Allen had a bad day ?.. From best I can tell his worst practice so far sounds to be significantly better than most of our QB's best TC days pre-Allen.

Saturday. Spent all day at Beach with Family. 

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I hope it will be helpful to Foster to see how it's done.  He isn't consistent.

And on that note, from the Chris Brown writeup on Day 3, seems Foster does recognize that he has a lot to learn and think watching Brown will be helpful:

//Robert Foster, who made his own share of big plays for the Bills as a rookie, was glad to be running deep routes again. But he was even more excited to be learning from a veteran deep threat like Brown in practice.

“I loved it. Today was good. I was happy to get back to running full speed,” said Foster. “But I was more excited to watch ‘Smoke.’ I think that’s going to help me and all of us, just watching him and learning how he gets separation and putting everything together.

“I’m learning about body lean, hand-eye coordination, tracking the ball. I’m a lot taller than ‘Smoke’ so I try to base it all on how he runs his routes. He’s quick and fast, so I’m going to be studying ‘Smoke’ all season.”//

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

So I checked out training camp today. 

First, I hate training camp. Half these dudes out there are already limping. These injuries will pile up quickly. Baffles me every year how these guys are professional athletes and within a week of practice, they are walking like their 80 years old. 

Second, I think Allen’s media reports of him having a great day are being blown out of proportion. The kid could always throw when he has no zero pressure of him. That’s really all you seen today. He would have been sacked on a lot of his great plays. Some of these throws were 5 secs in the pocket.  He is still not throwing with anticipation or thinking quick enough.  Now is the time to be getting better at that even if it means incompletions.  I’m hoping it gets better as camp goes on, but he hasn’t been good with those things since freshman year in college. Not sure he will ever get it. 

Third, the o line they are rolling out is not the best they can do. Ford is a guard, not a tackle. He was getting burned on the outside of him all day. He’s not quick enough.  They need to get a Ty or Waddell in at RT ASAP.  Spain is really frickin good and Dawkins looks good with a good guard next to him.  Even with the additional o line players brought in, I think we will struggle to find 8 good ones. Teller is a disaster. Wish Sirles was healthy 

You do understand your dark posting history precedes every post you make, right? Your overall cred is negligible, but I’ll take your take here under consideration. As with all our posters who are at practice and share their views, Thank you.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

You do understand your dark posting history precedes every post you make, right? Your overall cred is negligible, but I’ll take your take here under consideration. As with all our posters who are at practice and share their views, Thank you.

Nnnnnh, Iono.

Take ITT's take on Allen at face value or what the media has to say about him....Tough call.

• Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

I did see him climb the pocket, but it was also when the defense was going at 0% effort.  Just thinks that’s a lot tougher when defenders are everywhere.  

The oline is way better than last year, but it’s not great. I think the depth still isn’t there. I think Feliciano and Long are below average starters. I think the Bills would like to take 9 o line, but without Sirles healthy, I think it will be tough to find 9 solid players.  Teller ain’t making this team. 

We shall file this with due regard next to your opinions on Kelvin Benjamin ("I still think KB can be effective in this league") and Ed Oliver (" Oliver has needed to be humbled since HS. Hopefully him not starting will change his work ethic". ......." His college attitude was a disaster and his interview at combine was complete trash.")  It's a shame that the Bills college scouts and GM failed to elicit the continued potential of Mr Benjamin or the trashy combine attitute and interview of Mr Oliver and thus released the one and drafted the other.  Please offer them your services and the benefit of your advice ASAP.

I doubt the D was going at 0% effort at any point today.  Of course it will be tougher for Allen in a real game where the intensity and speed ratchet up and refrigerator-size defenders are actually trying to plaster him to the turf.  He's still looking a lot lot better than he did in TC and his early games last year - more comfortable, more proficient at interpreting what he sees.  Of course we need to see if it translates to the season, but it's still a positive.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We shall file this with due regard next to your opinions on Kelvin Benjamin ("I still think KB can be effective in this league") and Ed Oliver (" Oliver has needed to be humbled since HS. Hopefully him not starting will change his work ethic". ......." His college attitude was a disaster and his interview at combine was complete trash.")  It's a shame that the Bills college scouts and GM failed to elicit the continued potential of Mr Benjamin or the trashy combine attitute and interview of Mr Oliver and thus released the one and drafted the other.  Please offer them your services and the benefit of your advice ASAP.

I doubt the D was going at 0% effort at any point today.  Of course it will be tougher for Allen in a real game where the intensity and speed ratchet up and refrigerator-size defenders are actually trying to plaster him to the turf.  He's still looking a lot lot better than he did in TC and his early games last year - more comfortable, more proficient at interpreting what he sees.  Of course we need to see if it translates to the season, but it's still a positive.

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 4

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The first clip, pass to Beasley, was when Josh looked great today:  

That D sure was providing pressure. 

A lot of Josh’s completions could have been made with this caveat, “The play was not blown dead as a sack but Murphy probably would have put a hit on Allen on the play, which likely would have impacted the result.”

https://buffalonews.com/2019/07/27/buffalo-bills-trent-murphy-cody-ford-training-camp-day-three-josh-allen-john-brown-observationse-schooling/

Also, Allen completes 66% of his passes in 11 on 11 with not allowed to touch QB. Let’s stop acting like what I am saying is completely out of left field. 

31 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

A lot of Josh’s completions could have been made with this caveat, “The play was not blown dead as a sack but Murphy probably would have put a hit on Allen on the play, which likely would have impacted the result.”

https://buffalonews.com/2019/07/27/buffalo-bills-trent-murphy-cody-ford-training-camp-day-three-josh-allen-john-brown-observationse-schooling/

Also, Allen completes 66% of his passes in 11 on 11 with not allowed to touch QB. Let’s stop acting like what I am saying is completely out of left field. 

And yet that was the only play on which the reporter felt it was worth mentioning.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

:flirt:

Right.

Even the Bove tweet you pasted in there noted "Josh Allen had a very strong day".  Let's stop acting as though the first clip, which looks like some kind of drill, is the only good pass Allen made today or the only time he looked good today.  Allen has already shown in games he is willing to stand in and take a hit for a completion, so let's not act as though QB pressure would totally change things, either.

However, we will give your comments all due and appropriate weight.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

And yet that was the only play on which the reporter felt it was worth mentioning.

Bottom line is that, compared to last year at this time, we are seeing a night and day difference in performance across several aspects of the team. It’s a positive development no matter how much we can downplay it if we choose.

• Like (+1) 4