Bills Training Camp: Day 3 - 7/27

48 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Training camp is one of those strange things. On one hand if your defense plays great, you worry about your offense, but if the offense plays great you worry about the defense. I think what we shoukd start to see is good and bad days for both sides

For me I don’t care if the D is getting lit up if it’s by our offense. Because I’ve seen the D in real games and everyone is back minus Kyle, plus reinforcements, and I know it’s good. I want to see the offense look good every day in camp and I’m not worried about the D.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Totally this. I hate the hamstring and groin injuries. They are so damn hard to fully shake without just full rest. Two TEs with hamstrings and one already out on significant time sucks. 

Yep. Tore mine completely when I played in school...could even see where the tore ends of the tendons bunched up on either end behind the leg.

Never was the same after that...that is why I advocate caution, ice, hydration, and time to fully heal. Super easy to reinjure if rushed.

5 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

So I checked out training camp today. 

First, I hate training camp. Half these dudes out there are already limping. These injuries will pile up quickly. Baffles me every year how these guys are professional athletes and within a week of practice, they are walking like their 80 years old. 

Second, I think Allen’s media reports of him having a great day are being blown out of proportion. The kid could always throw when he has no zero pressure of him. That’s really all you seen today. He would have been sacked on a lot of his great plays. Some of these throws were 5 secs in the pocket.  He is still not throwing with anticipation or thinking quick enough.  Now is the time to be getting better at that even if it means incompletions.  I’m hoping it gets better as camp goes on, but he hasn’t been good with those things since freshman year in college. Not sure he will ever get it. 

Third, the o line they are rolling out is not the best they can do. Ford is a guard, not a tackle. He was getting burned on the outside of him all day. He’s not quick enough.  They need to get a Ty or Waddell in at RT ASAP.  Spain is really frickin good and Dawkins looks good with a good guard next to him.  Even with the additional o line players brought in, I think we will struggle to find 8 good ones. Teller is a disaster. Wish Sirles was healthy 

I appreciate your observation but respectfully disagree with several takes: did you watch Josh Allen consistently climb the pocket and fire balls to his receivers — I did...consistently. The only time he struggled was with the short throws. Also — completely disagree with regards to the OLINE. It is 1000x improved from last year. Ford is a bit inconsistent but shows you all the traits of a really solid RT. IMHO. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Tingles.....even though Brown double clutched getting that second foot down was quite a feat of the feet.  Nice job by Josh picking the front shoulder on that fade.  The only flaw was the flutter on the ball -- I thought the kid only threw perfect spirals.

1 minute ago, NY Nole said:

did you watch Josh Allen consistently climb the pocket and fire balls to his receivers — I did...consistently. The only time he struggled was with the short throws.

I hope the offense is built around this. I love Beasley as an outlet for Allen when plays break down, but more often than not I want to see the receivers running 10-15 yard routes downfield or streaking to the endzone. I don't think he's inaccurate at all to that level of the field.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I hope the offense is built around this. I love Beasley as an outlet for Allen when plays break down, but more often than not I want to see the receivers running 10-15 yard routes downfield or streaking to the endzone. I don't think he's inaccurate at all to that level of the field.

Beasley, if he stays healthy, is going to have some massive stats this year.  Just look at Welker's and Edelman's stats --- Beasley will get 120 plus targets and 80 plus catches in this offense.  Half will be on plays where he is option 1 and the others when he just finds an open space and he is option 2, 3 or 4. 

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't get the assumption that McDermott is a run heavy coach. That said, being able to run is not a problem. They are building an offense defenses can't just take away one thing from.

I dunno about that. Maybe he has appeared to favor the run because of the personnel situation?

I don’t consider him to be locked or fixated on any one approach and even apparently self scouts extensively so as to not become stale or predictable... 

50 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I feel like Brian Daboll deserves an award for the way that he complete switched the identity at WR.

I give him even more credit for getting the ball rolling on this mid season last year. 

Great call here. 

If one looks at the opening day WR Corp last year-  Night and day from now. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

First, I hate training camp. Half these dudes out there are already limping. These injuries will pile up quickly. Baffles me every year how these guys are professional athletes and within a week of practice, they are walking like their 80 years old. 

Second, I think Allen’s media reports of him having a great day are being blown out of proportion. The kid could always throw when he has no zero pressure of him. That’s really all you seen today. He would have been sacked on a lot of his great plays. Some of these throws were 5 secs in the pocket.  He is still not throwing with anticipation or thinking quick enough.  Now is the time to be getting better at that even if it means incompletions.  I’m hoping it gets better as camp goes on, but he hasn’t been good with those things since freshman year in college. Not sure he will ever get it. 

Third, the o line they are rolling out is not the best they can do. Ford is a guard, not a tackle. He was getting burned on the outside of him all day. He’s not quick enough.  They need to get a Ty or Waddell in at RT ASAP.  Spain is really frickin good and Dawkins looks good with a good guard next to him.  Even with the additional o line players brought in, I think we will struggle to find 8 good ones. Teller is a disaster. Wish Sirles was healthy 

I also think Ford needs to work on his footspeed against outside speed rushers.

But he is a rookie with a high ceiling. An NFL-level nutrition and training regimen will help fill the gaps. IT TAKES TIME AS your name suggests so a bit early to say what he can or can't do. The competition needs to remain open though for the best player on the roster now.

Regarding Josh, I will adjust my rose-colored glasses and respectfully disagree. Some forget that he is going up against the NFL's #1 pass defense last year and the coaching staff want him to go through progressions.

Iron sharpens iron and he is moving the ball. The coaches are looking for him to take his outlet option after going through his reads. He is doing that so folks complain that he is holding the ball too long.

I think his overall game is trending in the right direction and his ability to buy time in the pocket is an asset not a terrible thing.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

So half empty, right? 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Tears of joy are streaming down my face 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, NY Nole said:

I appreciate your observation but respectfully disagree with several takes: did you watch Josh Allen consistently climb the pocket and fire balls to his receivers — I did...consistently. The only time he struggled was with the short throws. Also — completely disagree with regards to the OLINE. It is 1000x improved from last year. Ford is a bit inconsistent but shows you all the traits of a really solid RT. IMHO. Go Bills!

I did see him climb the pocket, but it was also when the defense was going at 0% effort.  Just thinks that’s a lot tougher when defenders are everywhere.  

The oline is way better than last year, but it’s not great. I think the depth still isn’t there. I think Feliciano and Long are below average starters. I think the Bills would like to take 9 o line, but without Sirles healthy, I think it will be tough to find 9 solid players.  Teller ain’t making this team. 

38 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Well... If most of this thread and all the reports are yin, you're definitely yang.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

10 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

I did see him climb the pocket, but it was also when the defense was going at 0% effort.  Just thinks that’s a lot tougher when defenders are everywhere.  

The oline is way better than last year, but it’s not great. I think the depth still isn’t there. I think Feliciano and Long are below average starters. I think the Bills would like to take 9 o line, but without Sirles healthy, I think it will be tough to find 9 solid players.  Teller ain’t making this team. 

If he looked bad imagine what you’d say? 

• Haha (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

You sure do a lot of "thinking".  Maybe you can try to substitute "I think" with "in my opinion".

But that's not why I replied.  I highly doubt the defense was going 0%.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I wonder if John Brown coming in here and kind of feeling like “the guy” at WR has been a boost to his confidence. Sounds like he’s killing it. He really seems to be embracing this opportunity to run with the #1 WR role. 

Sounds like Josh Allen is killing it too. 

Honestly, as a long time die hard Buffalo sports fan all this positivity is making me a bit nervous.... ?

Don’t give in to the dark side of BBFS...

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1