Bills Training Camp: Day 3 - 7/27

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

For me it has always been about the QB. I have wanted one that doesn’t limit the playbook and one that you don’t need to hide or design an offense to protect him (conservative). So far this offseason not seeing that.  Meaning I think we have  decades long Solution at that position (still early to really claim that but trending that way)

It is McD so there will still be a heavy does of Running and I get that but hopefully the play split is closer to 50/50   

Seems like our offense is getting to where good offenses are. Allowing the pass to open up the run.  So if Josh can execute it week in and week out I could easily see Bills in playoffs and that Championship window opening. 

One due due out though will be McD in his in game management but I also see them starting to “practice” that as well with going headsets at Practice and such. 

I don't get the assumption that McDermott is a run heavy coach. That said, being able to run is not a problem. They are building an offense defenses can't just take away one thing from.

35 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Foster will get his snaps spelling Brown and Zay and be in on 4 WR sets.

He is young and needs to gain some knowledge before being considered a full time WR.

We all got to remember he only caught 35 balls in 'bama in 4 years!

He is very raw and the coaches are wise bringing him around slowly.

IMO

There is a lot of camp and preseason left, he’s still into the mix to start IMO.

I think people are over looking the importance to get Josh off to a strong start in camp.  Hence why I think there has been minimal rotation on both the OL and WRs so Josh can form timing and rhythm.  I have no doubt McD is going to give others looks at starting on both the OL and WR.  Doesn’t mean the groups out there mostly won’t end up starting, just saying there is nothing more important that getting Josh comfortable to start camp, so this is expected IMO to see minimal rotation in first days of camp.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

A lot will likely also revolve around how good of a blocker Foster shows himself to be versus Zay. The base set will likely be 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB. On running downs we may see more Zay and on obvious passing downs (in the three WR) perhaps more Foster. Four and five wide they will likely both be in.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I imagine Daboll likes that too.  Looking forward to what he can draw up now that he has something to work with.  I'm trying to temper my excitement

for the new season, but it's getting hard to not be a little giddy.

I hear that and my expectations are definitely tempered, but I’ve like the trajectory Daboll was on since the second half of last year. The fact he has some new toys at his disposal is something to be excited about. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Any word on if Knox came back after that?

Time for that hard-nosed kid out of Boston to step up - not a bad thing this time of year and when a hammy starts to go, you have to give it time to heal or it will be a lingering issue. Just ask Shady.

1 minute ago, WideNine said:

Time for that hard-nosed kid out of Boston to step up - not a bad thing this time of year and when a hammy starts to go, you have to give it time to heal or it will be a lingering issue. Just ask Shady.

Sounds like that would be a bad thing this time of year. Knox needs to be out there.

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't get the assumption that McDermott is a run heavy coach. That said, being able to run is not a problem. They are building an offense defenses can't just take away one thing from.

Agreed!  

The “run heavy” coach stuff is a farce and so is the “hes Conservative” stuff.  People labeled him when he was saddled with weak options in the passing game, but as soon as Allen started coming in he showed what he really wants to do.  

And Daboll calls the offense too, and he’s not conservative.  His resume is full of scrub QBs that were beyond limited.  All one has to do is watch the games the last 6 weeks of the season and they would know all the “he only wants to run” and “he is too conservative”  is nothing but a fairy tale.  

46 minutes ago, K-9 said:

There also hasn’t been anything negative for the doomsdayers to seize upon, either. They’ll be back as soon as a negative report gets posted. Like flies to a turd pile.

Listening to Jerry Sullivan show from Friday, whining about how well camp is going, no controversies, no selfishness, whaaa. Jerry's gotta Jerry. I guess when your whole game is harping on the negative, this team is a famine right now.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Listening to Jerry Sullivan show from Friday, whining about how well camp is going, no controversies, no selfishness, whaaa. Jerry's gotta Jerry. I guess when your whole game is harping on the negative, this team is a famine right now.

I think him complaining about not being able to complain is about as good as it's going to get.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

There was a scuffle today. They now have something to focus on.

Just now, MJS said:

Sounds like that would be a bad thing this time of year. Knox needs to be out there.

Not if it is just a mild strain - then it is some ice and mild rehab to recover. That, and Knox has been getting all the work with Kroft out, so if you work in the kid from Boston you start to build your depth in the off season. TE's get dinged - a lot. They have the size and speed that puts a lot of strain on the joints, they get tangled up blocking, and when receiving defensive players (smart ones) always take them low.

The Bills need to work building the depth.

10 minutes ago, CookieG said:

/shrugs...

He also had 4 90+ yard games out of his last 7 in the NFL, as a rookie. His deep ability, coupled with Brown's, isn't something you want to keep off the field very long.

They draw away safeties, opening up underneath stuff and down the seams. If a DB bites even slightly on PA, one of those 2 are ready to pounce.

He was easily the most pleasant surprise on O last year and brings a skill that can't be taught. 

Use him.

I didn't say not to.  Just saying that IMO people thinking that Foster is the full time #2 WR may be disappointed. 

I see a good rotation between the top 4 WRs. 

So lame....NFL Network is covering training camps where the players aren’t even in pads yet, while not even showing Bills camp...just watched a Vikings WALK THROUGH with just jerseys/ not even helmets.

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Not if it is just a mild strain - then it is some ice and mild rehab to recover. That, and Knox has been getting all the work with Kroft out, so if you work in the kid from Boston you start to build your depth in the off season. TE's get dinged - a lot. They have the size and speed that puts a lot of strain on the joints, they get tangled up blocking, and when receiving defensive players (smart ones) always take them low.

The Bills need to work building the depth.

No, they need to work building a quality starter. TE is one of their weakest positions. They don't have an established starter, so Knox needs to be out there as much as possible.

I would agree with you if we had Gronk or Kelce or some other established vet who we know will produce regardless of practice time. But we don't.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

So lame....NFL Network is covering training camps where the players aren’t even in pads yet, while not even showing Bills camp.

So next year when the Bills are a hot item and ESPN wants to spend much more time at Bills camp wil you join me in telling them to get the ***** OUT we don't like your kind around here.

personally I love being ignored by ESPN for that reason. When the Bill's are relevant in their eyes I don't want their coverage I want Bills fans in their faces telling them how much they suck, have sucked and will continue to suck, at least for next 17 years or so.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

No, they need to work building a quality starter. TE is one of their weakest positions. They don't have an established starter, so Knox needs to be out there as much as possible.

I would agree with you if we had Gronk or Kelce or some other established vet who we know will produce regardless of practice time. But we don't.

As an advocate of the Bills investing more into the TE position for years, I get what you are saying. Just taking the glass half-full position of being able to get more starting reps for that Boston kid who I don't think is all that bad of a player. That, and Daboll likes to feature a lot of 2-TE sets so this can build into having two young TE's becoming long term starters for us down the road.

Will hit the pause on the panic button till we learn more about why Knox came up gimpy and how long they feel he has to rest it - may only be a week or so kind of deal so we will see what OBD comes out with in their next presser.