I hope Lorenzo Alexander learned his lesson.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Since we have quite a different cast across the defense, a different HC and DC, and a different scheme, I think I'll wait and see before we put it on Lorax

In fact, we may have problems against the run, we may not have problems against the run, and if we do have problems against the run Lorax is likely to be down the list a pace...not to absolve him of fault, just sayin'

Im not blaming LORAX Im just saying he should know what worked toward the end of the game to slow Bell down

2 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

Again I thought it was about the OL and that still may be true BUT if the defense does not maintain their gap assignments it will not matter. Case in point what about the 220 yards rushing gave up to the COLTS or the 226 we gave up the Jags or the 273 yards we gave up to the PATS all in 2018. Do you want me to keep going?

I was responding to Bell not seeing as good as he was 2 years ago behind the Steelers line per Steptide for $100 It’s right above this. You can look it up. Feel free to do anything you like, of course. 

I wasn’t responding regarding our D. 

2 hours ago, Azucho98 said:

Rex Ryan was the head coach and Rob Ryan the D-coordinator.  Any question as to how Bell ran all over us?  I can't blame Alexander or any member of the D (past or present) for that disgusting defensive performance.  The team QUIT on Rex and Rob by that point in the season.

Jay Ajayi rushed for well over 400 yards in two games that season too.

I was at the game and I remember going home thinking that the team had quit on Ryan.  I'm glad that I wasn't the only one to think that.  

McD’s defense gave up 298 rush yards to New Orleans. It would have been 300 if not for two QB kneel downs. McD’s defense has folded and the Bills have been blown out many times in the last two seasons. Oliver is a rookie and Edmunds has a long way to go to get to even average.  There is a lot of promise on this defense but there are also many questions beyond Lorax.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

McD’s defense gave up 298 rush yards to New Orleans. It would have been 300 if not for two QB kneel downs. McD’s defense has folded and the Bills have been blown out many times in the last two seasons. Oliver is a rookie and Edmunds has a long way to go to get to even average.  There is a lot of promise on this defense but there are also many questions beyond Lorax.

The Bills will have to prove they can stop the inside run. I don’t trust the run D. I’m hoping Edmunds can prove me wrong.

5 hours ago, Steptide said:

100 bucks bell isn't nearly as good as he was 2 years ago 

The problem is he will be motivated from not playing last year (at least in week one), just like Michael Jordan was motivated for missing most of 1994 and 1995 due to playing baseball. In 1996 Jordan's team won the word championship. Bell will be looking to take out his frustrations on us.

10 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

Again I thought it was about the OL and that still may be true BUT if the defense does not maintain their gap assignments it will not matter. Case in point what about the 220 yards rushing gave up to the COLTS or the 226 we gave up the Jags or the 273 yards we gave up to the PATS all in 2018. Do you want me to keep going?

the only flaw I see if the clip is that if the D line just holds their blocks that are susceptible as all get out to play action no? Darnold will have all day to throw if the entire front 7 waits that .8 seconds or whatever it takes to make sure it is not a run play....i liked the clip, and it makes sense..outside of that one problem area i think

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, H2o said:

Alexander may have been on the field, but Edmunds wasn't. I bet TE is all over him week 1. 

Right but with an unconventional running style you have to take a different approach. Which someone will have to help coach him on. Which is kind of the point here. 

• Like (+1) 2

This is a different team and much better coached on defense.  I know we can still grow tremendously against the run, but Darnold will have a hard time throwing at our secondary.  Therefore, McD will be expecting a lot of attempts from Bell.  I see us having a very good day if our OLine gets quickly.  That is the real question as I know we have more talent, but the question we’re all asking is will they gel early in the year.

13 hours ago, Azucho98 said:

Rex Ryan was the head coach and Rob Ryan the D-coordinator.  Any question as to how Bell ran all over us?  I can't blame Alexander or any member of the D (past or present) for that disgusting defensive performance.  The team QUIT on Rex and Rob by that point in the season.

Jay Ajayi rushed for well over 400 yards in two games that season too.

Defensive geniuses.  This must have rested 100% of the players.

/sarcasm

15 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

Since we play the Jets week one I want to remind the forum about Le'Veon Bell record setting performance against the BILLS when he played for the Steelers.

My man Brett Kollmann post a video about Bell patient running style and why it works and how you stop it. It includes video about what the Bills did wrong on that day along with what they did right to stop him at the end though it was too late. Lorenzo Alexander was on the field that day so hopefully he can pass along what work toward the end of that game. 

what? how is this relevant?

5 minutes ago, nucci said:

what? how is this relevant?

It goes to Bells running style. Most backs are trained to pick a hole and hit it..and when they do the D flies to that hole as well. What Bell wants to do when he is effective is let the D commit first, be that penetration by D-Line, LBs attacking gaps where they THINK Bell will attack..and then Bell goes where they aint!

Think of all the D coordinaters that say the following" we want to play an attacking, physical brand" of D..the above piece argues an attacking D is exactly what Bell wants...you need him to make first move

That should be the case no matter what team he is on

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I was at the game and I remember going home thinking that the team had quit on Ryan.  I'm glad that I wasn't the only one to think that.  

I do not think they quit as much as could not figure out how the scheme was supposed to work properly in real time.  From reports it is very confusing.

12 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

Yes, this is the main question mark regarding the 2019 defense.  While they will most likely be in the top 3 against the pass, to be an elite D, they must prevent teams from running all over them as many times as happened last year (you're may have 1 or 2 bad games, but 4-5 is not good enough).