Astro Notes: Bills Practice 2 (7/26)

5 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Quote:

"The DL is dropping guys into coverage now and then, looking more and more exotic. This is good unless they try and get too cute."

This gave me horrid flashbacks to the dreadful Rex Ryan schemes that ruined a perfectly good defense. I remember Jerry Hughs hopelessly running after Gronk, and me screaming at the the TV in a crowded yuppie bar in Burbank, "WHAT THE F*** ARE YOU DOING???" It was a bad look for the defense, and for me.

Someone talk me down.

You've heard of zone blitzes, yes? Rex Ryan was not really a pioneer of the tactic (I think LeBeau's Pittsburgh defenses utilized it early and often), nor was he really known for it in particular. 

(Mario carping about it to the media put an undeserved spotlight on it; IIRC our d-linemen weren't asked to drop nearly as often as Mario's complaints suggested. I remember many debates on the BBMB about this issue.)

The one thing I appreciate about the Astro write-ups is the constant random switching of focal points.  One minute its the offense, then a comment on a defensive drill, then something happening in the stands.  It’s hectic, but reading it I get a feeling of atmosphere and a sense of actually being there far more than the Chris brown or local media recaps, which are tailored to an overall theme.  Sitting at training camp can be hectic with lots of drills happening at once, followed by downtime with nothing going on so attention moves to the stands or random thought / reflection.  It’s a perspective that sucks you in a little bit, even if you read the piece and at the end, don’t know how many completions or TDs josh had, or who the top 3 performers of the day were like w the media reports. 

Edited by Bill Murray
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

Thad Brown got after Josh Allen pretty good. Through two days not so good. 

Thad Brown is a dolt.  I stopped following him on Twitter.  It has nothing to do with whether he's negative regarding Josh Allen...he simply doesn't know what he's talking about.  Some of his takes have been downright awful.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, eball said:

Thad Brown is a dolt.  I stopped following him on Twitter.  It has nothing to do with whether he's negative regarding Josh Allen...he simply doesn't know what he's talking about.  Some of his takes have been downright awful.

Yea this will probably be the last time I reference him. Normally I sift through relevant opinions a little better.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

Yea this will probably be the last time I reference him. Normally I sift through relevant opinions a little better.

He seems like a lone voice in the wilderness. Most reports I've read on Allen have been positive.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Bill Murray said:

The one thing I appreciate about the Astro write-ups is the constant random switching of focal points.  One minute its the offense, then a comment on a defensive drill, then something happening in the stands.  It’s hectic, but reading it I get a feeling of atmosphere and a sense of actually being there far more than the Chris brown or local media recaps, which are tailored to an overall theme.  Sitting at training camp can be hectic with lots of drills happening at once, followed by downtime with nothing going on so attention moves to the stands or random thought / reflection.  It’s a perspective that sucks you in a little bit, even if you read the piece and at the end, don’t know how many completions or TDs josh had, or who the top 3 performers of the day were like w the media reports. 

^^^^This; plus his timely humor scattered throughout like a smothered, covered and scattered Waffle House hash brown dish that cures what ails ya! 

16 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

I dont recall any snark from him in past write ups. Typically Astro writes from a birdseye view of what is happening sprinkled in with a few corny side bars.  His first two reports read (to me anyhow) more of a negative side (ie "entitled kids" or "Moral: If you suck, just make sure you at least stand out"). Anyhow....go Bills!!

Always been excellent on ‘play-by-play’,

’color’ not so much.

2 hours ago, eball said:

I noticed that last year and also unfollowed him