Astro Notes: Bills Practice 2 (7/26)

Quote:

"The DL is dropping guys into coverage now and then, looking more and more exotic. This is good unless they try and get too cute."

This gave me horrid flashbacks to the dreadful Rex Ryan schemes that ruined a perfectly good defense. I remember Jerry Hughs hopelessly running after Gronk, and me screaming at the the TV in a crowded yuppie bar in Burbank, "WHAT THE F*** ARE YOU DOING???" It was a bad look for the defense, and for me.

Someone talk me down.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Quote:

"The DL is dropping guys into coverage now and then, looking more and more exotic. This is good unless they try and get too cute."

This gave me horrid flashbacks to the dreadful Rex Ryan schemes that ruined a perfectly good defense. I remember Jerry Hughs hopelessly running after Gronk, and me screaming at the the TV in a crowded yuppie bar in Burbank, "WHAT THE F*** ARE YOU DOING???" It was a bad look for the defense, and for me.

Someone talk me down.

I'll try.

1st:  It's a good practice tool to see how athletic and in shape the DL guys are and also shows IF they are capable of doing it.

2nd:  Throwing different looks at Josh is a good thing for his experience and gives him tape to watch.

3rd:  I don't think we will see a lot of this during the season but there are times when it works.

At least those reasons make me feel better because I thought of Rexy's D too and it made me ill.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fair enough.  The "Entitled Kids" does seem to be becoming a theme...I believe he has grandkids, I wondered if he tried and failed to get them into that area? and does come across as bitter.

The "snark" I guess I kind of like; he's always done sterling work for us fans who can't make it to camp to get a sense of what it's like being there, but it sometimes came across as a bit too uniformly positive.  This is a new (to me) side of Dean that I'm finding a bit entertaining.

Linky?

Edit: This guy?  Seems mixed, though he does seem a bit focused on negative plays and omitting some of the positive plays others have called out
image.thumb.png.d4962a35a04a3e1b28da097ceb9ce9a4.png

I would like to second this post... my thoughts summed up better than I could. No wonder yur a mod.

18 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'll try.

1st:  It's a good practice tool to see how athletic and in shape the DL guys are and also shows IF they are capable of doing it.

2nd:  Throwing different looks at Josh is a good thing for his experience and gives him tape to watch.

3rd:  I don't think we will see a lot of this during the season but there are times when it works.

At least those reasons make me feel better because I thought of Rexy's D too and it made me ill.

But remember when we had a 300lb OLB in Spencer Johnson? talk about intimidation!

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Please, please don't remind me of the Gailey years defenses ever again.  LOL

LOL! I know right?! That's why I am SO EXCITED about our team going forward! There is no "this may be so weird that it works" type of player positions... like playing WRs at Safety or WRs at QB for wild cats... yeesh

8 minutes ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

LOL! I know right?! That's why I am SO EXCITED about our team going forward! There is no "this may be so weird that it works" type of player positions... like playing WRs at Safety or WRs at QB for wild cats... yeesh

Reading that Jordan Phillips was covering Foster made me laugh.

The only player on this roster that you could put in an experimental position would be Maurice Alexander. Is he a LB or a Safety?

Thanks for the write up and report. Your work is appreciated. ?

I'm interested in following Singletary and Knox during the camp and preseason. I wouldn't be surprised if they moved up the ranks and contribute this year. 

I'm very comfortable with Barkley as the backup. 

22 minutes ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

Or Josh Allen, Is he a QB or an entire offense? lol, just kidding

At this point, the team asking a similar question might be the Giants, and the player they might be asking it of would be Saquon Barkley.

He can run.  He can catch.  Can he play WR and QB?

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

At this point, the team asking a similar question might be the Giants, and the player they might be asking it of would be Saquon Barkley.

He can run.  He can catch.  Can he play WR and QB?

I know, that's why if I get first pick in my fantasy league, Im drafting Barkley... He is all they got

I used to love his write ups and still appreciate the time he puts into these things. However, I’ve been enjoying the tweet updates more that these write ups lately because of the color Astro puts into them. They are overly positive with his own opinions clearly written into them. That’s not to say they’re right or wrong, good or bad, but I just like to know they line ups, plays, etc. 

2 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Quote:

Someone talk me down.

McDermott and Frasier are vastly superior to the Ryan twins.

Another nice writeup.  I know I've seen where it was mentioned, but I'm old, and I forget stuff -  Astro is Dean Kindig who does all the Bills commentary for mock drafts at www.drafttek.com  That's one of the mock draft sites I look for. 

3 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I used to love his write ups and still appreciate the time he puts into these things. However, I’ve been enjoying the tweet updates more that these write ups lately because of the color Astro puts into them. They are overly positive with his own opinions clearly written into them. That’s not to say they’re right or wrong, good or bad, but I just like to know they line ups, plays, etc. 

Not that I disagree but he's writing a piece, not 140 characters that grab attention. 

I can only guess he gets paid based on the piece he writes and not on how often he can send out a new Twitter post (which is why he does the write up he does in guessing). 

I've been lucky enough to see, experience and confirm what he wrote while attending camp as little as I have so I normally trust what he says. Even if it comes off a little rose colored.  

• Like (+1) 1