The good news about Kyle Peko's wife

TigerJ

We heard the news today that she is fighting stage 3 Hodgkin's Lymphoma.  Stage 3 means it has spread, though has not been found in other organs.  The good news is that even late stage lymphomas, including Hodgkin's are among the more curable cancers.  The five year survival rate for stage 3 Hodgkin's Lymphoma is 83 %.  I know we like to see !00%, but as one whose cancer gives me a five year survival rate of 55%, 83% looks pretty good.  The worst part, of course, is having to go through chemo to get that survival rate.  It's never fun, but someone who is young and otherwise in good health can deal with it and still maintain something of a normal routine.

Edited by TigerJ
  • Like (+1) 26
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I start chemo and rad therapy in a week for a stage 3 bladder tumor that was removed.  I had a diverticulum of my bladder where the tumor showed up and though it was encapsulated it perforated the out wall.  No sign it has spread from its margins but because it extended outside the wall it is considered stage 3.  Stats are iffy because where it is, just not a lot of cases.  But CT scan showed no evidence of spread and lymph nodes appeared normal.  So we are hoping for it to be cured... just going thru the go thru...  Ill say my prayers for the above to be successful as well.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 19

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

I start chemo and rad therapy in a week for a stage 3 bladder tumor that was removed.  I had a diverticulum of my bladder where the tumor showed up and though it was encapsulated it perforated the out wall.  No sign it has spread from its margins but because it extended outside the wall it is considered stage 3.  Stats are iffy because where it is, just not a lot of cases.  But CT scan showed no evidence of spread and lymph nodes appeared normal.  So we are hoping for it to be cured... just going thru the go thru...  Ill say my prayers for the above to be successful as well.

Hey North Buffalo.  Just wanted you to know my brother's mother in law was diagnosed this Spring with bladder cancer.  After some rounds of chemo, she is now in remission.  Stay strong!!

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

My wife's best friend was treated for, and looked like she had beaten the bladder cancer.  She died suddenly from an unrelated heart attack.   My thoughts and prayers are with you for your chemo.  It sounds as if your chemo is to be what is called adjuvant chemotherapy.  With no cancer detected outside the bladder area, the assumption is they got all of it, but the chemo is a bit of insurance in case a few cells have migrated to other parts of the body, but have not grown to detectable levels.  The chemo is to try and kill them.  That was the purpose of my chemo.  I finished it up 2 years ago this month.  Take good care of yourself during chemo.  Cancer cells thrive in the presence of sugar, so take it easy on candy, cookies and dessert.  The effects of chemo are cumulative, so after your first session you may think it's a piece of cake.  Get adequate sleep and eat right from day one.  As the effects build up, listen to your body, and make sure you get the rest you need.  Do the best you can to make sure you're not exposed to people with illnesses, especially as the chemo progresses.  It will depress your body's ability to make white blood cells.  Your white blood cell count will start to drop, and you'll pick up illnesses more easily.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, TigerJ said:

We heard the news today that she is fighting stage 3 Hodgkin's Lymphoma.  Stage 3 means it has spread, though has not been found in other organs.  The good news is that even late stage lymphomas, including Hodgkin's are among the more curable cancers.  The five year survival rate for stage 3 Hodgkin's Lymphoma is 83 %.  I know we like to see !00%, but as one whose cancer gives me a five year survival rate of 55%, 83% looks pretty good.  The worst part, of course, is having to go through chemo to get that survival rate.  It's never fun, but someone who is young and otherwise in good health can deal with it and still maintain something of a normal routine.

...thanks for sharing and Godpseed to BOTH of you for full recovery.........:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

My wife's best friend was treated for, and looked like she had beaten the bladder cancer.  She died suddenly from an unrelated heart attack.   My thoughts and prayers are with you for your chemo.  It sounds as if your chemo is to be what is called adjuvant chemotherapy.  With no cancer detected outside the bladder area, the assumption is they got all of it, but the chemo is a bit of insurance in case a few cells have migrated to other parts of the body, but have not grown to detectable levels.  The chemo is to try and kill them.  That was the purpose of my chemo.  I finished it up 2 years ago this month.  Take good care of yourself during chemo.  Cancer cells thrive in the presence of sugar, so take it easy on candy, cookies and dessert.  The effects of chemo are cumulative, so after your first session you may think it's a piece of cake.  Get adequate sleep and eat right from day one.  As the effects build up, listen to your body, and make sure you get the rest you need.  Do the best you can to make sure you're not exposed to people with illnesses, especially as the chemo progresses.  It will depress your body's ability to make white blood cells.  Your white blood cell count will start to drop, and you'll pick up illnesses more easily.

Agreed was told I will need to take off from work during second round... Im relatively young 55 in 2 weeks and otherwise in good health.  Work out four days a week and now am cutting way down on sugars, way up on veggies and and low acid fruits... cutting down on carbs as well.  My wife is an OR nurse and former oncology nurse so she is cracking the whip.  TY for all the good advice... reinforces everything I have been told.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

So I have been thru 2 rounds of chemo, lost about 20 lbs, chemo to quote Ron White... suuuuucks... in vibrato.   I have 2 more rounds spread out over the next 3 weeks.  Cant wait for it to be done, the nausea and waves of pain in my abdomen is worse than my amateur drinking days as a teenager... yeh that rough.  

Got some CBD oil edibles and other stuff to help, only seems to take the edge off which helps but its hard to stay in front of it.  Learning as I go.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

So I have been 2 round of chemo lost about 20 lbs, chemo to quote Ron White... suuuuucks... in vibrato.   I have 2 more rounds spread out over the next 3 weeks.  Cant wait for it to be done, the nausea and waves of pain in my abdomen is worse than my amateur drinking days as a teenager... yeh that rough.  

Got some CBD oil edibles and other stuff to help, only seems to take the edge off which helps but its hard to stay in front of it.  Learning as I go.

God bless you.  Keep fighting and we'll keep praying.

• Like (+1) 1