Bills Training Camp Day 2 - 7/26

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I know it is early but already I think some of the offensive position battles are looking the way I expected them to.

On the offensive line I have been consistent that the starting five would be:

LT Dawkins

LG Spain

C Morse

RG Feliciano OR Long

RT Ford (with the possibility of Nsekhe starting early if Cody is really struggling to pick things up).

Well so far there are no signs of Ford struggling to pick things up. He ended the spring with the 1s and has carried on right where he left off with the 1s both days so far in camp. In fact the only position that rotated from day 1 to day 2 is the right guard position. Where Feliciano got the first crack yesterday and then Long got his shot today. Unless there is a major drop off in Ford's play there is only one starting spot on this line up for grabs - it is right guard and it will be either Feliciano or Long.

At wide receiver I think almost everyone here has agreed that the top 4 guys were Foster, Brown, Zay and Beasley in some combination. I talked in another thread today about the possibly combinations you can run out there with those four when you are in 11 personnel:

i. Foster at X; Brown at Z; Beasley at Y

ii. Foster at X; Zay at Z; Beasley at Y

iii. Brown at X; Zay at Z; Beasley at Y

iv. Foster at X; Brown at Z; Zay at Y

Through two days we have already seen all of those combinations as well as Andre Roberts, Isaiah McKenzie and Ray-Ray McCloud all getting the odd look with the 1s too (Roberts on the outside and the other two spelling Beasley in the slot). Per Sal after practice today the receivers that are yet to get any shots with the 1s are Duke Williams Victor Bolden Jnr, Cam Phillips, David Sills and Nick Easley. I have to say that is pretty much as I expected. I have thought all offseason that those were the guys who had the most to do to make this roster. It is still early but I repeat what I have said elsewhere on the history of the two McDermott camps - it has been the receivers that have shown early in camp Rod Streater two years ago and Robert Foster last year, rather than the guys that have had big pre-season games that have generally made the cut (Streater did then get injured and waived with a settlement but he made it through to the initial 53). So those receivers who are behind the 8 ball at this point have some ground to make up and the clock is very much ticking on them.

Defensively does look like there is still a battle for the starting spot on the DLine with Jordan Phillips continuing to get the snaps with the 1s thus far - though I remain convinced that Ed Oliver is going to slide into that role very shortly and there is a battle brewing opposite Tre White between last year's UDFA find Levi Wallace and former Texans first round pick Kevin Johnson. Likewise looks as though EJ Gaines is playing outside and some nickel in certain packages that might allow them to only keep 5 pure corners with Siran Neal as a hybrid wildcard safety / nickel / linebacker…… and interestingly he has got first shot as the gunner on kick coverage teams. That definitely improves his chances of making the 53.

Heard our boy Ford had a good day today

The thing I am watching now is what is going on with Singletary.....nearly every report that is coming back from camp is that he looks awesome.  Im not a big calling out ppl to eat crow guy but there were some folks on this board that did not understand the pick.

41 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I am really liking what I’ve seen of this guy so far.

I like the energy he brings. 

Seems like a cool dude. Quick side note, my firm did some work for the owner of the building he lives in here in Buffalo. I was in his apartment unit, and let’s just say as a fellow wine enthusiast myself, his wine game is very respectable. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I know it is early but already I think some of the offensive position battles are looking the way I expected them to.

On the offensive line I have been consistent that the starting five would be:

LT Dawkins

LG Spain

C Morse

RG Feliciano OR Long

RT Ford (with the possibility of Nsekhe starting early if Cody is really struggling to pick things up).

Well so far there are no signs of Ford struggling to pick things up. He ended the spring with the 1s and has carried on right where he left off with the 1s both days so far in camp. In fact the only position that rotated from day 1 to day 2 is the right guard position. Where Feliciano got the first crack yesterday and then Long got his shot today. Unless there is a major drop off in Ford's play there is only one starting spot on this line up for grabs - it is right guard and it will be either Feliciano or Long.

At wide receiver I think almost everyone here has agreed that the top 4 guys were Foster, Brown, Zay and Beasley in some combination. I talked in another thread today about the possibly combinations you can run out there with those four when you are in 11 personnel:

i. Foster at X; Brown at Z; Beasley at Y

ii. Foster at X; Zay at Z; Beasley at Y

iii. Brown at X; Zay at Z; Beasley at Y

iv. Foster at X; Brown at Z; Zay at Y

Through two days we have already seen all of those combinations as well as Andre Roberts, Isaiah McKenzie and Ray-Ray McCloud all getting the odd look with the 1s too (Roberts on the outside and the other two spelling Beasley in the slot). Per Sal after practice today the receivers that are yet to get any shots with the 1s are Duke Williams Victor Bolden Jnr, Cam Phillips, David Sills and Nick Easley. I have to say that is pretty much as I expected. I have thought all offseason that those were the guys who had the most to do to make this roster. It is still early but I repeat what I have said elsewhere on the history of the two McDermott camps - it has been the receivers that have shown early in camp Rod Streater two years ago and Robert Foster last year, rather than the guys that have had big pre-season games that have generally made the cut (Streater did then get injured and waived with a settlement but he made it through to the initial 53). So those receivers who are behind the 8 ball at this point have some ground to make up and the clock is very much ticking on them.

Defensively does look like there is still a battle for the starting spot on the DLine with Jordan Phillips continuing to get the snaps with the 1s thus far - though I remain convinced that Ed Oliver is going to slide into that role very shortly and there is a battle brewing opposite Tre White between last year's UDFA find Levi Wallace and former Texans first round pick Kevin Johnson. Likewise looks as though EJ Gaines is playing outside and some nickel in certain packages that might allow them to only keep 5 pure corners with Siran Neal as a hybrid wildcard safety / nickel / linebacker…… and interestingly he has got first shot as the gunner on kick coverage teams. That definitely improves his chances of making the 53.

Lotta talk today about how Ed's having some trouble adjusting to facing huge NFL olinemen. Whoda thunk it?

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The thing I am watching now is what is going on with Singletary.....nearly every report that is coming back from camp is that he looks awesome.  Im not a big calling out ppl to eat crow guy but there were some folks on this board that did not understand the pick.

I wouldn't say I didn't understand the Singletary pick. I was adamant we should draft a younger back but I will be honest and say I wasn't the biggest fan of the player. I wasn't convinced on him as an NFL every down back. And I still have that concern to an extent. But the early noises are encouraging. 

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Lotta talk today about how Ed's having some trouble adjusting to facing huge NFL olinemen. Whoda thunk it?

Ed Oliver is going to be a stud. Not a single concern here.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

If we should win the Superbowl this year, this gem will say something like, "well, we still need to win a lot more to catch up to the Pats, and I won't be satisfied until we do! Fire somebody!"

• Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I fore one just though it was too high to take a RB, especially with more valued positions on the board still. That being said, I dont think many questioned the kids overall talent. Just the value of where he was selected.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I wouldn't say I didn't understand the Singletary pick. I was adamant we should draft a younger back but I will be honest and say I wasn't the biggest fan of the player. I wasn't convinced on him as an NFL every down back. And I still have that concern to an extent. But the early noises are encouraging. 

Excellent analysis as usual, GB. Funny thing -and don’t take this wrong, when I read your posts, I envision Sheldon Cooper’s voice. Now I laugh like hell, buts it’s out of pure respect!

4B2D2860-FC6C-48AB-9A5D-D25BCC479437.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

If we should win the Superbowl this year, this gem will say something like, "well, we still need to win a lot more to catch up to the Pats, and I won't be satisfied until we do! Fire somebody!"

What in the everlasting ***** are you talking about? I'm one of the more consistent positive posters around here.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

Excellent analysis as usual, GB. Funny thing -and don’t take this wrong, when I read your posts, I envision Sheldon Cooper’s voice. Now I laugh like hell, buts it’s out of pure respect!

4B2D2860-FC6C-48AB-9A5D-D25BCC479437.jpeg

I don't have his voice, but I have lots of his misplaced arrogance. ;)

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Love reading these threads at the end of a day with a cool beer. Great work to everyone who keeps those updates coming.

As far as Allen forcing some stuff, it really doesn't bother me because I've always said that's who he is. I expect him to always have INTs, like Favre did (hopefully not quite as many as Favre). The key is whether he offsets the odd int with two or three TDs. He trusts his arm and has confidence in it, especially in the deep throws or when throwing across his body on the run. I hope they don't get in his head too much and make him cautious. Let him go out and rip it. If enough of them go for big gains/TDs then I don't give a ***** about him have more picks than Tyrod, even though the media seemed to love Tyrod purely because of his low int %. I like being aggressive, just don't turn into Peterman, Josh!

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't have his voice, but I have lots of his misplaced arrogance. ;)

Hah!  Misplaced arrogamce!  I likenthat.

I really enjoyed what you wrote.  My only qualification is that I think you have give the outsiders a week or two.  The one thing the receivers getting reps have over the Outsiders is experience, either a lot in the league or at least a year with McD.  If someone has something special, training camp is where it comes out. So tell me no one has emerged a week from now, and I will agree with you. 

4 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

They wont get rid of McCoy until they know if he isnt going to be good and at the same time just incase anyone else gets hurt.

Yes sir.  I see Daboll using heavy rotation in the RBs and WRs and we will see more in the TEs when Kroft returns.

It's situational/disguised/punch and counter punch ball and Daboll knows what he wants to do.  I really want to see it work.

Too many talk about the #1 WR/RB/TE.  It's going to be a team effort on offense this year IMO.

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

I am really liking what I’ve seen of this guy so far.

I like the energy he brings. 

absolutely.

this is going to work out long term

McD just needed enough time to get the right guys in place (Coaches )

continuous improvement : )

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Oh, but you did initially derail the thread by taking the time directly quote and question another poster’s (seemingly innocuous) comments about Josh Allen appearing to be of Native American descent.  I’m sorry you’re so easily offended.  Are we done?  Do you have any comments on the OT depth chart?

I must be immature by going completely off training camp and trying to come up with Native American names for random Bills players. So far I have:

Shady: Spoils With A Tweet

Zay: Nude From A Window

Vontae Davis: Leaves At The Half

Davis may be gone but is never forgotten.

Oh, and to bring us back on topic, I am currently Smiles At the Depth

• Haha (+1) 2