Is this the best receiving corp since Peerless Price and Eric Moulds?

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

I still marvel at the stupidity the Bills displayed to get him. 

In hindsight, yes; it was a terrible move designed to prop up a failing EJ Manuel.  

If you listen to Chris brown on one bills live when he talks about the bills recievers, you'd think this is the best wide reciever group in NFL history. I like Chris brown alot, but sometimes his homerism comes out. He was saying a short while back that this group is almost uncoverable. Cmon, really? I think they're upgraded for sure, but time will tell how good they are 

22 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Moulds was damn good and I don't think he ever got that much appreciation from a league wide perspective. It's unfortunate that we had inconsistency at QB when he was with us.

That being said, it's very tough to put him above the likes of Reed & Lofton.

Agreed, and please don't get what I meant twisted;  E-Mo was a STUD with us.  He's certainly in the top-5 ever at his position with the Bills.  Probably top-3 at WR (for his production while a Bill).  But, far and away, Reed is the best we've ever had.  And the Reed/Lofton combo as #1/#2 receiver, unmatched in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/26/2019 at 1:49 AM, njbuff said:

Moulds is number two at the WR position for the Bills.

Remember, Lofton did most of his HOF work for Green Bay, while he had three productive seasons here.

Agree. Lofton isn’t really in the conversation, IMO. And Moulds could have had a better career than Reed too if he played with Kelly his who,e career instead of the clowns he was saddled with.

On 7/26/2019 at 10:33 AM, BuffaloBill said:

I fail to understand why people still hold to the fallacy that Sammy Watkins was a”stud” receiver.  His stats never upheld the hype. 

I mean his first 2 years were better than Reed's first two years and he played half of his first season hurt. He's also averaged more YPG than reed over his career. Different era's yada, yada but Watkins is far from the bum many on this board would like to believe.

His career has been largely derailed by injuries, but the talent and production has always been there when healthy. I think he'll play a massive role for the chiefs this year. 

Edited by BullBuchanan

On 7/26/2019 at 1:18 AM, Ol Dirty B said:

He was far better than Lofton ever was if you're talking Bills careers. It's not even close. I know it's easy, everyone loves guys from those years, but Lofton wasn't that great as a Bill. His prime was in GB.

Lofton gave us a couple of great years. Paired with Reed, made for a great combo. Seems to me, that it took Moulds a few years to get his legs under him.

Reed made his bread, and butter over the middle.

Moulds?

On 7/26/2019 at 6:57 PM, Happy Gilmore said:

In hindsight, yes; it was a terrible move designed to prop up a failing EJ Manuel.  

Failing EJ Manuel would have the best qb rating on the Bills right now. ?

And the answer to this question is hell no.  The Watkins group was better.  So were Evans and TO.  Hell, until proven different, the SJ group was better.  We have a bunch of 2,3, and 4s.  Hopefully, we have a better qb than those groups.  Great qbs prop up their receivers.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

On 7/25/2019 at 9:20 PM, Bangarang said:

They haven't even played a game yet...

What you said has validity, but this is a sports forum... 

Supposition is what is done on sports forums.

Go Bills!!!

Big Fitz supporters during his time here pointed out he really didn't have much help at the WR slots.  Imo it was a fair defense for Fitzpatrick 

Even then for now I'd still take Stevie J, Donald Jones, David Nelson/Brad Smith/etc...  over this group.  

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Failing EJ Manuel would have the best qb rating on the Bills right now. ?

And the answer to this question is hell no.  The Watkins group was better.  So were Evans and TO.  Hell, until proven different, the SJ group was better.  We have a bunch of 2,3, and 4s.  Hopefully, we have a better qb than those groups.  Great qbs prop up their receivers.

So you would rather have a failing EJ Manuel than a rising Josh Allen?  Maybe didn't understand your first sentence...

Still a lot to be determined with the WR corps this year, and yes, we do have a bunch of 2, 3, and 4s but that may be enough; I am in the camp that you don't necessarily need a stud WR1 to be a complete team.  Agree that a great QB props up the WRs, but so does an offensive scheme that can effectively utilize 2s, 3s, and 4s.  

Edited by Happy Gilmore

On 7/27/2019 at 7:19 AM, auburnbillsbacker said:

Moulds and Price were much better than our current group of WRs.  Robert Woods and Sammy Watkins were also better.  

Moulds and Price combination were made better by that one year of Drew Bledsoe.  Then they came down crashing.   

On 7/26/2019 at 11:19 AM, ScottLaw said:

It's amazing the narratives throughout training camp.

I remember last year there was absolutely no way the trio of McCarron, Peterman, and Allen would be worse than Tyrod and they could easily match the 9 win record from the year before. ?

Please.

A few (very few), may have said that, particularly folks still having Kool-Aid still in their systems from picking Allen.

What 95% of us actually had as a narrative was that cutting Tyrod despite the fact that he was likely to be - THAT YEAR - the best on the roster made total sense due to Tyrod's ridiculous cap hit of $16 mill and the fact that we weren't going to have a good year anyway in 2018. Cutting Tyrod was the way to go in the context of the rebuild. And again, there are always folks with rose-colored glasses riveted to their craniums, but last year for the sane among us was always likely to be a pretty bad year, not to be worried about as part of the rebuild.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 7/27/2019 at 1:54 AM, SoTier said:

Taylor is competent which isn't the same as being a starting caliber QB, and I never said he was starting caliber.  He can come into a game or he can start one -- or more -- and at least give a team a chance to win.  On occasion, he can make some plays that could win games.  We don't know at this point is Allen can do as well. 

Taylor played pretty well as a first year starter, but at some point in his second season as one (2016) he hit the proverbial wall that marked the upper limits of his ability.  That could happen to Allen, too.  I remember that Mark Sanchez looked like he was going to become the Jests' "guy" for the next decade early in his second season, but about midway through, he just stopped developing and never got any better.  This is frequently what happens to first round and second round QBs who play well in their first seasons as starters but never develop into franchise QBs. 

It wasn't even his second year when the dropoff came. Go back and take a look at his first year's progression. His first seven games he was on fire as teams didn't know how to play him. Then they got film on him and in the NE game, Belichick schemed up a way to limit him ... basically keep him in the pocket, don't let him run and don't worry too much about his passing game.

He only played 14 games that first season and if you look at his second half, the final seven games, his stats dropped to almost exactly what we would see from him over the rest of his Buffalo career. In those seven games his passer rating was within a couple of points of his career passer rating. Same with YPA completion percentage, everything, really.

Edited by Thurman#1