Prediction: Bills Will Keep ALL their RBs

2 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Don't think the OP realized how many RBs are on this roster.

I'm not talking about every guy on the 90-man roster. I'm saying Shady, Gore, Singletary, Yeldon, and Dimarco will all make the team.

• Like (+1) 1

Until we know Daboll's plans for the offense this season, it is tough to know how the final 53 will shake out.  There are always surprises and I am often surprised when I see good special teams players hit the street to retain a marginal depth player.  Most of the opinions that I have read here are plausible with what we know now.  We'll have to continue to watch what happens in camp and the preseason games.

1 hour ago, Georgie said:

Tommy Sweeney isnt exactly a FB. Could he replace Dimarcos special teams play?

No he's not, but he's a run blocker, or at least his scouting report says so. That's DiMarco's role. Just saying if Sweeney gets the job done like DiMarco, he's younger and cheaper.

15 hours ago, Flip Johnson said:

Let's be real.  Why do the Pats value RBs so much now?  It's because of Brady's decline.  Only the last 3 seasons or so, they've put more emphasis on the RB position because the Brady era has been coming to an end.

Look at the Patriots. They MASSIVELY value running backs - they just don't pay them. If RBs weren't important Belichick wouldn't keep drafting them in the top 3 rounds

- Sony Michel $917K (1st round, 2018)

- James White $2.5M

- Rex Burkhead $1.75M

- Damien Harris - Rookie, 3rd rounder

- Brandon Bolden $1M

- James Develin $1M

They aren't wondering who is going to get cut in NE. At least 5 of those guys make the team, if not all six. And NE will use them in a multitude of different formations and situations. They are all unique weapons, whether it be running inside, outside, splitting wide, blocking, catching the ball, etc.

454d747f-7648-415d-87f4-c2ecaf48c101-JG_

LeSean McCoy is still the No. 1 running back, say Beane and McDermott

“When Sean and (offensive coordinator) Brian Daboll roll the ball out, LeSean is going to be the first running back to touch the ball,” Beane said before the Bills took the field at Fisher for their first training camp practice under a brilliant sunny sky. “That’s the way we see it.”

That’s not how many observers outside the organization see it. For those who don’t draw a paycheck signed by Terry Pegula, there is intrigue surrounding McCoy’s future with the Bills.

“There’s not any inside noise,” Beane said. “Outside is what it is. I think a lot of that comes from nobody playing football, so people have jobs to do and that’s one of the topics.”

The Bills are not in a position of worry regarding the salary cap so they can easily carry McCoy’s money. However, they could also save $6.4 million by releasing him, which isn’t exactly chump change.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

On 7/24/2019 at 1:15 PM, Flip Johnson said:

Going into training camp I've heard quite a bit about the Bills' crowded backfield and who will end up being cut or inactive.

Additionally, there's been much talk of the devaluing of the RB position as though it is not important any more.

One distinction that isn't getting made is that the RB position is being massively devalued monetarily (no teams want to pay or extend RBs) but the value on the football field is actually rising. This is true even as passing increases because of the way RBs are being used.

What's valuable now is not the highly paid "bell cow" but the versatile stable of cheap RBs that can create mismatches out of RB/FB heavy personnel groups.

Look at the Patriots. They MASSIVELY value running backs - they just don't pay them. If RBs weren't important Belichick wouldn't keep drafting them in the top 3 rounds

- Sony Michel $917K (1st round, 2018)

- James White $2.5M

- Rex Burkhead $1.75M

- Damien Harris - Rookie, 3rd rounder

- Brandon Bolden $1M

- James Develin $1M

They aren't wondering who is going to get cut in NE. At least 5 of those guys make the team, if not all six. And NE will use them in a multitude of different formations and situations. They are all unique weapons, whether it be running inside, outside, splitting wide, blocking, catching the ball, etc.

Which is why when it comes to the Bills, I see Daboll looking at BB and doing the same thing. Barring injury, Shady, Gore, Singletary, Yeldon, and DiMarco are ALL MAKING THE TEAM. It's not a problem - it's a new strategy in the modern NFL.

I agree with this strategy but I guarantee you McCoy & Gore will not be on this team next year. So we better draft another guy (or two) to supplement Singletary and Yeldon. Don't even get me started on DiMarco.

The Singletary draft pick definitely caught me off guard with Shady, Gore, and Yeldon already on the roster.  I wonder if Beane has his 2017 strategy with McCoy that he had with Watkins.  Showcase him in the preseason to see if we can get a draft pick out of him from another team.  Maybe one who's running back gets a substantial injury.  Or, maybe Yeldon is already a dead man walking.

On 7/24/2019 at 3:26 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Tommy Sweeney may well replace Patrick DiMarco in the fullback role.

Or Lee Smith.

6 hours ago, HOUSE said:

TJ Yeldon isn't going anywhere. I think the fans will love him

If the season started today, Yeldon might be the best back on the team.

On 7/24/2019 at 5:07 PM, Misterbluesky said:

Hey..we have a new carpet,that should help?

I still don't know why we don't go natural.

Green Bay,Pittsburgh,Cleveland,Washington,Chicago do it.

rockpile style..get 'em muddy.

Signed,

Joe DeLamielleure

It is very difficult to do with the stadium actually built below ground level. 

My grandma lived on California Road and I used to go onto site while they were building it.

Edited by Limeaid
typo

yjvs3ldbpgut6kilkmo9.jpg

Versatile and physical: T.J. Yeldon aims to make his presence known in Buffalo’s running back competition

He may have been a back-to-back 1,100-yard rusher in the SEC and a national champion.

But on Buffalo’s roster right now, T.J. Yeldon is fourth in the running back rotation at training camp.

Despite a much different pecking order with the Bills, Yeldon is unfazed and determined to carve out a role.

“Always competition,” Yeldon said. “It’s always making us better.”

bivavr322gfpni7jodar.jpg

Yeldon led the Jaguars in yards from scrimmage last season [901] had a career-high four receiving touchdowns and became the first back since Maurice-Jones Drew in 2011 to have more than three in a season.

Yeldon is still the same running back that Foster saw at Alabama. He prides himself on physicality. Pads went on for the first time this past Saturday at camp, which should allow him to show off that trait.

“That’s why the pads come on, to be physical,” Yeldon said.