Predict the 4 teams in the playoff for college 2019-2020

major

2 minutes ago, BillsFanCRNA said:

Agree. But our defense is a mess. Bama plays Big 12 football these days...

Bo Nix is a walking turnover, plays terrible in big games, and his WR get no separation. I know it’s not a traditional “Bama D” but i just can’t see Auburn winning that game. But rivalry games do have a life of their own. 

13 hours ago, BillsFanCRNA said:

Brand matters. If Bama wins at Auburn with a backup QB (and that's pretty unlikely IMO), they are in.

Agreed, I think if it comes down to Bama or Pac 10 Champ Utah, Bama gets the nod.  I would like to see the Utes in there, I am sick of seeing Bama.  Utah has played lights out the last 4 weeks.  

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Bo Nix is a walking turnover, plays terrible in big games, and his WR get no separation. I know it’s not a traditional “Bama D” but i just can’t see Auburn winning that game. But rivalry games do have a life of their own. 

I agree with you about Nix.  I thought Auburn had another highly recruited kid that Nix was battling for the starting spot in the summer.  I am surprised Gus hasn't gone to him at some point this season.  The big games Nix has been horrible.  It is almost like GM has given Nix a free pass this year when playing time is concerned.  

5 hours ago, Gordio said:

I agree with you about Nix.  I thought Auburn had another highly recruited kid that Nix was battling for the starting spot in the summer.  I am surprised Gus hasn't gone to him at some point this season.  The big games Nix has been horrible.  It is almost like GM has given Nix a free pass this year when playing time is concerned.  

Yeah. Joey Gatewood was the other QB. He left, presumably due to playing time.

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 10:45 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Auburn offense has no pulse. Bama will win. 

Auburn has a very strong defense, especially up front.  I like Derrick Brown coming out of college more than I liked Dareus. He is a complete monster.

Auburn, with their exceptional lines, would dominate any other conference despite the inexperienced quarterback. How many teams in the Big 10 do you think are better than Auburn? I would say probably 1.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Auburn has a very strong defense, especially up front.  I like Derrick Brown coming out of college more than I liked Dareus. He is a complete monster.

Auburn, with their exceptional lines, would dominate any other conference despite the inexperienced quarterback. How many teams in the Big 10 do you think are better than Auburn? I would say probably 1.

Michigan is better than Auburn imo & Whisky & Minn are close.  

13 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Michigan is better than Auburn imo & Whisky & Minn are close.  

I respectfully disagree and also think that Auburn would not be a pushover for Ohio State. Auburn can pretty much play with anyone imo.

The way to beat them (again, imo) is to contain their young qb and force mistakes. Their DL keeps them in games.

Alabama's defense is banged up. With Tua hurt, the main advantage the Tide has over Auburn is Nick Saban (OK, the receivers too lol).  I hope it is enough.

Edited by Bill from NYC

46 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I respectfully disagree and also think that Auburn would not be a pushover for Ohio State. Auburn can pretty much play with anyone imo.

The way to beat them (again, imo) is to contain their young qb and force mistakes. Their DL keeps them in games.

Alabama's defense is banged up. With Tua hurt, the main advantage the Tide has over Auburn is Nick Saban (OK, the receivers too lol).  I hope it is enough.

Nix stinks

3 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I'm not a fan of his nor Malzahn  but the team is always talented, and Derrick Brown is a freak.

Brown is a freak but the reason Auburn is just an okay football team is Nix. They are going to have 1 win against a ranked team and that’s an overrated Oregon team. They are going to have 4 losses by this weekend and barely be ranked themselves. 

The SEC just doesn’t have the depth that it did a decade ago. There are still really good teams in LSU, Alabama, UGA and to a lesser extent Florida. That really isn’t that different though from the Big 10 for example with OSU, PSU, Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin. In the past the SEC was given far more credit because of the depth. As we sit today the Big 10 has 5 of the top 13 and the SEC has 4.

They just aren’t going to get the benefit of the doubt like in past years because the gap has closed. I really believe that a 1 loss OU or 1 loss Utah or 1 loss Minnesota is going to jump into the top 4.  I think, assuming wins this week, Clemson, Ohio State and LSU are in the playoff regardless of the conference championship games. I believe Alabama is the 4th best team but don’t see how their spot can be justified over a 1 loss conference champ that’s going to have a better resume. 

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Brown is a freak but the reason Auburn is just an okay football team is Nix. They are going to have 1 win against a ranked team and that’s an overrated Oregon team. They are going to have 4 losses by this weekend and barely be ranked themselves. 

The SEC just doesn’t have the depth that it did a decade ago. There are still really good teams in LSU, Alabama, UGA and to a lesser extent Florida. That really isn’t that different though from the Big 10 for example with OSU, PSU, Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin. In the past the SEC was given far more credit because of the depth. As we sit today the Big 10 has 5 of the top 13 and the SEC has 4.

They just aren’t going to get the benefit of the doubt like in past years because the gap has closed. I really believe that a 1 loss OU or 1 loss Utah or 1 loss Minnesota is going to jump into the top 4.  I think, assuming wins this week, Clemson, Ohio State and LSU are in the playoff regardless of the conference championship games. I believe Alabama is the 4th best team but don’t see how their spot can be justified over a 1 loss conference champ that’s going to have a better resume. 

You forgot Texas A&M. If you have time, look at their schedule. The Aggies are a dangerous team and imo they would feast on the likes of Minnesota, and virtually every team in the Big 12, including Oklahoma.

I do agree that the Big 10 is making progress on the SEC (although I'm surprised at how Wisconsin fell) but I still think that they have a considerable amount of ground to make up.

Jmo, and a fun topic I dare say! :)

5 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

You forgot Texas A&M. If you have time, look at their schedule. The Aggies are a dangerous team and imo they would feast on the likes of Minnesota, and virtually every team in the Big 12, including Oklahoma.

I do agree that the Big 10 is making progress on the SEC (although I'm surprised at how Wisconsin fell) but I still think that they have a considerable amount of ground to make up.

Jmo, and a fun topic I dare say! :)

Texas A&M is like Auburn this year. They are fine when they play bad teams. They haven’t beaten a ranked team. Their best win is a 1 score win at Ole Miss. Minnesota on the other hand has a top 10 win and their only loss is a 4 point road loss in one of the toughest places to play. On a neutral field tomorrow they are a double digit favorite over A&M.

That’s the problem that the SEC faces in getting a 2nd team in. There just isn’t enough quality from the rest of the league. I believe that Alabama is the 4th best team in the country today. It’s just not going to be easy for them to get in with their best wins coming against an unranked A&M and an Auburn team that may be unranked after the game.  

It depends if the committee wants best team or best resume. If OU, for example, wins out it will be impossible to deny them that spot (assuming LSU, OSU and Clemson have locked up the other spots). They will have a bunch of good wins and a conference championship. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Texas A&M is like Auburn this year. They are fine when they play bad teams. They haven’t beaten a ranked team. Their best win is a 1 score win at Ole Miss. Minnesota on the other hand has a top 10 win and their only loss is a 4 point road loss in one of the toughest places to play. On a neutral field tomorrow they are a double digit favorite over A&M.

That’s the problem that the SEC faces in getting a 2nd team in. There just isn’t enough quality from the rest of the league. I believe that Alabama is the 4th best team in the country today. It’s just not going to be easy for them to get in with their best wins combining against an unranked A&M and an Auburn team that may be unranked after the game.  

It depends if the committee wants best team or best resume. If OU, for example, wins out it will be impossible to deny them that spot (assuming LSU, OSU and Clemson have locked up the other spots). They will have a bunch of good wins and a conference championship. 

I think that Georgia, A&M or Auburn would destroy Minnesota. 

Once again, jmo.

Edited by Bill from NYC

17 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I think that Georgia, A&M or Auburn would destroy Minnesota. 

Once again, jmo.

I wasn’t a Minnesota believer until I saw them really beat up Penn State. They didn’t steal that game. They were the better team. There only loss is a 4 point loss at a top 20 Iowa. Obviously we are going to learn a lot about the Gophers over the next 2 weeks with Wisconsin and then potentially Ohio State. They aren’t getting in with 2 losses but they control their own destiny at this point. I’d rank those teams:

UGA

Minnesota

Auburn

A&M

Alabama needs a statement win this week (which I think is possible if not likely). They have to win by 4 plus scores. If they do and LSU beats UGA I think they still have a shot at the 4th spot. I know those guys today think that it will be Utah or OU but those teams still have work to do. OU has to beat 2 ranked teams still. Utah will still have to beat Oregon (even though they look to be just okay too).  

On 11/24/2019 at 7:52 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Why don’t you think Utah gets in if they win the PAC 12? They’ve looked great.

Oregon's loss hurts PAC 12's already middling reputation.  Plus, in the current rankings Alabama is 5th so as long as they take care of business against Auburn why wouldn't they slide up to four after the SEC championship game?

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Oregon's loss hurts PAC 12's already middling reputation.  Plus, in the current rankings Alabama is 5th so as long as they take care of business against Auburn why wouldn't they slide up to four after the SEC championship game?

Because they don’t play in the SEC championship, and we are talking about Utah being a 1 loss pac 12 conference champion. Even if bama wins this weekend, that would be their only win over a top 25 team, and that win is over a 4-loss auburn team. They only have one more game to prove they belong in the top 4 With no resume, no championship, and no QB. The committee seems very focused on quality wins. If they beat Auburn 55-0 or something with their backup QB, they present a case.  Just because they are at 5 today doesn’t mean they will stay there, there are two weeks to go, one of which they don’t play. I do think the committee is trying to set them up to be considered at 4, by putting Auburn as high as 15 with 3 losses. And Utah  doesn’t have a strong resume at this point but they are strong statistically, especially their defense. And if they win out, will add a quality win. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Because they don’t play in the SEC championship, and we are talking about Utah being a 1 loss pac 12 conference champion. Even if bama wins this weekend, that would be their only win over a top 25 team, and that win is over a 4-loss auburn team. They only have one more game to prove they belong in the top 4 With no resume, no championship, and no QB. The committee seems very focused on quality wins. If they beat Auburn 55-0 or something with their backup QB, they present a case.  Just because they are at 5 today doesn’t mean they will stay there, there are two weeks to go, one of which they don’t play. I do think the committee is trying to set them up to be considered at 4, by putting Auburn as high as 15 with 3 losses. And Utah  doesn’t have a strong resume at this point but they are strong statistically, especially their defense. And if they win out, will add a quality win. 

LOL.  Bama is already in unless they lose again. 

Bama

Ohio State assuming they win out

Clemson assuming the same

LSU if they win out but if they lose it will go to Georgia, Big 10 or PAC.  LSU would magically fall behind Bama if they lose.  Tua's injury casts a smidgen of doubt but I think the committee would still just give it to em.

10 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Alabama needs a statement win this week (which I think is possible if not likely). They have to win by 4 plus scores. If they do and LSU beats UGA I think they still have a shot at the 4th spot.

Kirby, I'm not sure why everybody thinks that this game will be so easy for Alabama. Just like I do with the Bills, I watch every play of every Bama game. They have a weakness this year and it is at nose. Gone are the days of Da'Ron Payne and Quinnen Williams. Saban defenses really need a strong nose, one who is also a penetrating pass rusher. This situation was made worse by the injuries to BOTH inside LBs who were lost for the year in camp (one was very good, the other great). The freshmen are studs but are still learning a very complicated system.

Also, it should not take 4 scores. Alabama is better than Utah. The Utah defense is supposedly good, right. Do ya think that Utah can cover the Bama receivers. Seriously Kirby? Oklahoma? They beat them with a much better quarterback than Hurts, and the Sooners have zero defense.

My point is that a decisive win should really get Alabama in, not 4 scores.

Hey, if these other teams are so wonderful, Ohio State Fans should WANT to play the Crimson Tide, no? ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.