Predict the 4 teams in the playoff for college 2019-2020

major

I will enjoy the games and not worry too much about rating the top teams and strength/weakness

lots of good games coming up!!!

it will all pan out in the end, shouldn’t be more than one surprise, if any, in the anointed quartet

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I will enjoy the games and not worry too much about rating the top teams and strength/weakness

lots of good games coming up!!!

it will all pan out in the end, shouldn’t be more than one surprise, if any, in the anointed quartet

Wisconsin looks like they could make a case. The only tough opponent left on their schedule is Ohio state. If they win that game, they have a great chance. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wisconsin looks like they could make a case. The only tough opponent left on their schedule is Ohio state. If they win that game, they have a great chance. 

I expect two games between them.

if they split and both end up with one loss, would they send them both to the playoff, provided there weren’t enough no-brainers to stop this?

I doubt the Midwest has this much power... one is enough

Edited by row_33

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

I expect two games between them.

if they split and both end up with one loss, would they send them both to the playoff, provided there weren’t enough no-brainers to stop this?

I doubt the Midwest has this much power... one is enough

It would be the Oklahoma treatment of last year. They lost to Texas in the regular season then circled back and beat them in the big 12 CC. That could happen theoretically with osu/wisky. I do not think the big 10 could send 2 teams because that conference doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt looking at their last 2 playoff appearances. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

On 10/13/2019 at 11:35 AM, Bill from NYC said:

My years of watching college football have taught me that teams with a great offensive or defensive line are very hard to defeat. Georgia is said to have the very best OL in the NCAA.

I watched South Carolina play against Bama and they are good. Should Georgia have lost that game? No freaking way. Fromm? He is a very smart game manager. He doesn't have Josh Allen talent but you can win with guys like Fromm in college.

I'm not going to kick Georgia while they are down. As you well know, good teams can have bad games. Georgia lost to a team that they should have beaten.

Let's see what happens down the road. They might be OK. I don't think that many teams outside the SEC could beat Georgia.

Do you?

I guess that this is where we may not agree. I think about 10 teams can beat them. 2 of them are in the SEC (Bama and LSU). They are better than UF and Auburn (at least I think that they are). They are not better than Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Wisconsin and may not be better than Penn State. They absolutely, 100% have to run the table to get into the playoff. With a loss like that they aren’t getting in over a 1 loss conference champ. That means Ohio State, Wisconsin, Clemson, Penn State and Oklahoma all have a clearer path at the moment. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I guess that this is where we may not agree. I think about 10 teams can beat them. 2 of them are in the SEC (Bama and LSU). They are better than UF and Auburn (at least I think that they are). They are not better than Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Wisconsin and may not be better than Penn State. They absolutely, 100% have to run the table to get into the playoff. With a loss like that they aren’t getting in over a 1 loss conference champ. That means Ohio State, Wisconsin, Clemson, Penn State and Oklahoma all have a clearer path at the moment. 

I also think Texas could beat them. They may have 2 losses but they are to two top 5 teams and the Horns are a really good team 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

A decent ND team outplayed them at home. UGA is no better than a decent team this year and has major flaws. They picked the wrong QB.

The AP ranking ND, a team they beat,  2 spots above them this week was eye opening to how bad of a loss that was in the eyes of the National media

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

The AP ranking ND, a team they beat,  2 spots above them this week was eye opening to how bad of a loss that was in the eyes of the National media

shows the obscene bias of the media for ND

or that many don’t even bother thinking when they vote 

or both

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, row_33 said:

shows the obscene bias of the media for ND

or that many don’t even bother thinking when they vote 

or both

I thought it was a bit of an overcorrection for UGA being too high to begin with. I would have put UGA at 9 and ND at 10. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I also think Texas could beat them. They may have 2 losses but they are to two top 5 teams and the Horns are a really good team 

I don't think so at all. In fact, it appears to me that Alabama exposed the Big 12 last year when they clobbered Oklahoma who at the time had a clearly superior QB to Hurts. 

15 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You make sense and unlike some of the teams listed above, Georgia has a tough schedule.

The hardest teams for me to rate at this point are the Big 10. Who have Wisc. and OSU played to this point that are any good? Michigan State? Please.

I am NOT saying that OSU and Wisc. are not fine teams. I am saying that a clearer picture will emerge when they start to play against good teams. I suppose that the same could be said about Alabama, although Texas A&M is much better than most would probably rank them. They have what is probably the toughest schedule in the NCAA and are starting to get hit with injuries.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

You make sense and unlike some of the teams listed above, Georgia has a tough schedule.

The hardest teams for me to rate at this point are the Big 10. Who have Wisc. and OSU played to this point that are any good? Michigan State? Please.

I am NOT saying that OSU and Wisc. are not fine teams. I am saying that a clearer picture will emerge when they start to play against good teams. I suppose that the same could be said about Alabama, although Texas A&M is much better than most would probably rank them. They have what is probably the toughest schedule in the NCAA and are starting to get hit with injuries.

nice of them to send Sparty to Columbus and Madison back to back....

Then Penn State, a cupcake and then at Michigan.

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Ohio State has to play Wisconsin (most likely twice) who is 6 in the country, Penn State who is 7. They go to Ann Arbor and while UM isn’t great they are 16. If Ohio State runs the table they will have 6 wins against ranked teams and 3 against the top 10. That’s every bit as impressive as UGA. Even one loss would be the same. 

I know that you are an SEC guy and living in Louisiana I’m surrounded by the SEC bias. With that being said, the conference isn’t elite like it once was. LSU and Bama are elite. UGA, Auburn and UF are good. Those teams are no better though than the second tier of the Big 10. In fact there are 2 second tier big 10 teams currently ranked ahead of them.

The bottom of the SEC is a disgrace and that’s the other thing that people down here don’t want to talk about. The only “okay” SEC teams are A&M, South Carolina and Missouri. UT, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Vandy and Miss. St. are bad football teams. So while you play tough games (like every other conference) there are a lot of cupcakes along the way (like every other league). When the SEC was elite that wasn’t the case.

The reality is only 1 SEC team is going this year and that’s the conference champ. They all have holes (like every good team does). UGA has to run the table or they’re out. Clemson hasn’t looked good but their path is clear. OU has looked good and has a pretty clear path as well. Ohio State and Wisconsin have looked great but will have to play each other twice. Penn State hasn’t lost yet and has some opportunities (like last week) for a good resume. 

At the end of the day, it’s going to be:

- Alabama/LSU

- Clemson

- OU

- OSU/Wisconsin

Edited by Kirby Jackson

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Is MSU any good? It would appear not but I don't know.

probably a 2nd tier team in the Big Ten, they have been crucified by the schedule with 3 tough road games and another top game stacked upon them

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

At the end of the day, it’s going to be:

- Alabama/LSU

- Clemson

- OU

- OSU/Wisconsin

what will they do for the Big Ten, ASSUMING....

tOSU/Wisky goes to home team tOSU.

but Wisky takes the Conf title game at the neutral site?

pretend the first game doesn't matter?  lean towards tOSU as it has more pull (easily)?

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Ohio State has to play Wisconsin (most likely twice) who is 6 in the country, Penn State who is 7. They go to Ann Arbor and while UM isn’t great they are 16. If Ohio State runs the table they will have 6 wins against ranked teams and 3 against the top 10. That’s every bit as impressive as UGA. Even one loss would be the same. 

don't worry too much about the fake rankings before anyone has to play anyone in conference games.

the rankings are extra fake this year due to the dearth of out-of-conference solid clashes 

a few years back the Big East (or whatever this conference was at the time)  had 4 undefeated teams into November and clogged the top 10 fake rankings because they hadn't played anybody good even into November.

Edited by row_33

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

probably a 2nd tier team in the Big Ten, they have been crucified by the schedule with 3 tough road games and another top game stacked upon them

what will they do for the Big Ten, ASSUMING....

tOSU/Wisky goes to home team tOSU.

but Wisky takes the Conf title game at the neutral site?

pretend the first game doesn't matter?  lean towards tOSU as it has more pull (easily)?

don't worry too much about the fake rankings before anyone has to play anyone in conference games.

the rankings are extra fake this year due to the dearth of out-of-conference solid clashes 

a few years back the Big East (or whatever this conference was at the time)  had 4 undefeated teams into November and clogged the top 10 fake rankings because they hadn't played anybody good even into November.

If Wisconsin wins the conference title on a neutral field they go. They would have one loss, at a 1 loss Ohio State. They would have the best loss in the country (with the exception of LSU at Alabama but they couldn’t win the conference title in that scenario). 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If Wisconsin wins the conference title on a neutral field they go. They would have one loss, at a 1 loss Ohio State. They would have the best loss in the country (with the exception of LSU at Alabama but they couldn’t win the conference title in that scenario). 

bring them both?

a few years ago a rematch of Michigan and tOSU for the championship game was floated with some seriousness, but maybe that was just Mark May talking

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.