Predict the 4 teams in the playoff for college 2019-2020

major

8 hours ago, major said:

Texas, Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State. Texas vs. Bama in championship game 

How is Texas on defense? Hurts should be pretty good at Oklahoma because they really don't play anybody good, or so it seems.

I have seen good defenses handle Hurts at times.

Ohio St, Oklahoma, Clemson, Alabama.  Clemson vs Alabama in championship game

CFP just recycles the same four programs year after year with occasional appearances from Notre Dame and Georgia, or maybe a B1G cameo from Penn St/Michigan/Sparty/Wisconsion

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Alabama

Georgia

Ohio State

Clemson

Alabama - Georgia for the title.

Saban was interviewed by Wil Cain for a SEC segment. Saban was bland as usual until he was asked about the issue of leadership. He then lit up and became animated and starting talking about the books he has read and is currently reading on that topic. Off the top of his head he listed four to six books on that topic. When asked who were some of the people who best exemplified leadership he said Winston Churchill and Roosevelt because he led in a period of economic calamity and during a war. 

You can't have the extended success he has had in such a competitive endeavor without possessing the depth and intelligence to adapt to a business that constantly changes on and off the field. What Bill Belichick is to the pro ranks Saban is to the college ranks. Although he may have a  bland persona he was both illuminating and fascinating. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, JohnC said:

Saban was interviewed by Wil Cain for a SEC segment. Saban was bland as usual until he was asked about the issue of leadership. He then lit up and became animated and starting talking about the books he has read and is currently reading on that topic. Off the top of his head he listed four to six books on that topic. When asked who were some of the people who best exemplified leadership he said Winston Churchill and Roosevelt because he led in a period of economic calamity and during a war. 

You can't have the extended success he has had in such a competitive endeavor without possessing the depth and intelligence to adapt to a business that constantly changes on and off the field. What Bill Belichick is to the pro ranks Saban is to the college ranks. Although he may have a  bland persona he was both illuminating and fascinating. 

He is a very complex man. He admits that he isn't able to enjoy things as much or as long as others are able to. In his unauthorized autobiography, it says that he has to eat the exact same dinner every Thursday night. The author wonders what he would have accomplished if he had chosen a career outside of football with his work ethic and organizational skills.

As great as his Alabama football teams are, a case could be made that Saban played a HUGE part in the last 2 championships the team has won (the on-sides kick and putting in Tua at half  time down 10 points). Your comparison to Belichick is 100% accurate. They are indeed close friends and they both happen to be of Croatian descent.

Oh, and if both lines come together (and it looks like they will), The Crimson Tide are going to be tough to stop this season. :)

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

whileHe is a very complex man. He admits that he isn't able to enjoy things as much or as long as others are able to. In his unauthorized autobiography, it says that he has to eat the exact same dinner every Thursday night. The author wonders what he would have accomplished if he had chosen a career outside of football with his work ethic and organizational skills.

As great as his Alabama football teams are, a case could be made that Saban played a HUGE part in the last 2 championships the team has won (the on-sides kick and putting in Tua at half  time down 10 points). Your comparison to Belichick is 100% accurate. They are indeed close friends and they both happen to be of Croatian descent.

Oh, and if both lines come together (and it looks like they will), The Crimson Tide are going to be tough to stop this season. :)

What's fascinating about Saban is that his sideline crusty persona of an old school coach masks the fact that he is very much a new school coach in that he is constantly searching for better methods. While as a coach he is at the top of the mountain he is not complacent and willing to stay in his comfort zone. He is confident enough to not only be willing to be receptive to what other coaches are doing but also confident enough to bring them onto his staff. Who would have thought that he would add the juvenile Kiffin to his staff and give him much authority as an OC? It was predictable that they were going to have a turbulent relationship, and they certainly did. But the older coach knew that there were things that he could learn from this immature outsider. Eventually, the inevitable departure materialized with both coaches gaining from that experience.  

(As I said in my first post that short interview segment with Will Cain revealed an intriguing side/s of Saban that I wasn't very much aware of. He has so much more substance to him that a lot of people are not aware of because it is masked by his public style.) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I need to get some insight into some things in fall camp before I can predict my 4... but I think LSU is going to claim one of spots. Am I crazy?

No, they should be loaded. Alabama has given them such a hard time of late though. It’s tough to project LSU finishing ahead of ‘Bama.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/25/2019 at 6:52 PM, YoloinOhio said:

I need to get some insight into some things in fall camp before I can predict my 4... but I think LSU is going to claim one of spots. Am I crazy?

@CajunBillsBacker

is he crazy?

On 7/26/2019 at 10:30 AM, Bill from NYC said:

They look strong but have you seen their schedule? It is absolutely brutal.

It's never easy in the SEC, but they get Auburn & Florida at home, they don't play Georgia, and they can handle Texas.

They have to go to Tuscaloosa, which will be the big one.

We shall see.

• Like (+1) 2

I say Alabama and Clemson are locks. Hard to pick a second SEC team, but UGA. After that I’ll say Ohio State because I keep hearing they are loaded, even with the HC change. I live in the SE now, but I don’t follow it like some of you. Oklahoma would not surprise me at all. 

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

@CajunBillsBacker

is he crazy?

It's never easy in the SEC, but they get Auburn & Florida at home, they don't play Georgia, and they can handle Texas.

They have to go to Tuscaloosa, which will be the big one.

We shall see.

No he’s not. LSU is absolutely loaded this year, and we finally have a competent QB with Burrow.This team is loaded like our 2012 team that went 13-0 before crapping the bed against Bama in the championship.

I saw someone mentioned our schedule being brutal, but it’s nothing we haven’t seen before. The key game to our playoff run is week 2 at Texas. Outside of Alabama and Texas, our next 3 toughest games are at home.

win against Texas, there’s a very good chance we are unbeaten when we go to Alabama. And even with a loss to Alabama, an 11-1 LSU team will still likely make the playoff. But if we lose to Texas, Alabama becomes a must win in order to get in IMO.

On 7/26/2019 at 1:30 PM, Bill from NYC said:

They look strong but have you seen their schedule? It is absolutely brutal.

Schedule is to their advantage if they are as good as i think they will be, because the committee loves quality wins. They could lose a close one and still be heavily in the conversation. They had two losses and still almost got in last year with that drubbing of UGA. The committee loves LSU.  I’m not a believer in Texas but that’s a win that will look good on their resume because of the name. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

10 hours ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

No he’s not. LSU is absolutely loaded this year, and we finally have a competent QB with Burrow.This team is loaded like our 2012 team that went 13-0 before crapping the bed against Bama in the championship.

I saw someone mentioned our schedule being brutal, but it’s nothing we haven’t seen before. The key game to our playoff run is week 2 at Texas. Outside of Alabama and Texas, our next 3 toughest games are at home.

win against Texas, there’s a very good chance we are unbeaten when we go to Alabama. And even with a loss to Alabama, an 11-1 LSU team will still likely make the playoff. But if we lose to Texas, Alabama becomes a must win in order to get in IMO.

I don't know how good Miss. State is this season but they play them too, and they end the season with Texas A&M and Jimbo Fisher. I am NOT saying that they won't make the playoffs. I am merely saying that imo, the schedule is horrible.

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Schedule is to their advantage if they are as good as i think they will be, because the committee loves quality wins. They could lose a close one and still be heavily in the conversation. They had two losses and still almost got in last year with that drubbing of UGA. The committee loves LSU.  I’m not a believer in Texas but that’s a win that will look good on their resume because of the name. 

No doubt, but that seems to matter less these days.

Look, Clemson is great. Absolutely stacked. I make no excuses for Alabama losing to them. Still, the truth is that they waltz into the playoffs year after year because they don't play anybody. As an OSU Fan, you know this. After a brutal game with Michigan, both teams are banged up and nursing injuries and OSU plays several good teams.

Alabama had to play Georgia twice one season. They play LSU and Auburn every year. Saban says that it is practically impossible to get out of conference teams to play them and they STILL have a 10x rougher schedule than Clemson.

My point to all of this is that it seems easier these days to waltz into the playoffs having played nobody who is any good. How was ND's schedule last year, and what would their record have been in the Big 10 or the SEC?

Edited by Bill from NYC

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

No doubt, but that seems to matter less these days.

Look, Clemson is great. Absolutely stacked. I make no excuses for Alabama losing to them. Still, the truth is that they waltz into the playoffs year after year because they don't play anybody. As an OSU Fan, you know this. After a brutal game with Michigan, both teams are banged up and nursing injuries and OSU playes several good teams.

Alabama had to play Georgia twice one season. They play LSU and Auburn every year. Saban says that it is practically impossible to get out of conference teams to play them and they STILL have a 10x rougher schedule than Clemson.

My point to all of this is that it seems easier these days to waltz into the playoffs having played nobody who is any good. How was ND's schedule last year, and what would their record have been in the Big 10 or the SEC?

No doubt, and Clemson is a lock. I don’t see anyone else with that kind of weak sauce schedule this year though. The one issue is (and I don’t anticipate it happens to Clemson this year barring injury to the QB) there is zero margin for error when you play nobody. Forget getting in with a close loss. And every team has a bad day once in awhile. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.