J. Palmer on Allen ‘blue collar, work ethic, farmer’

6 minutes ago, teef said:

i think you have an odd take when it comes to bills fans.  from your short time on this board i've  realized:

1.  you think only people in wny drink light beer, (and that light beer will be a thing of the past)

2.  if people are excited for training camp/football to start, they don't like summer.

Hey pal, you insult my light beer and my dislike for summer again and I'm.... I'm gonna sit right here and do sh*t-all about it.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, blacklabel said:

Hey pal, you insult my light beer and my dislike for summer again and I'm.... I'm gonna sit right here and do sh*t-all about it.

i had a cold coors light last night while sitting in my torn up back yard.  i'm a fan of light beer, and a bigger fan of the summer.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Its not a great sign but you're forgetting that you can't say anything negative about the franchise QB. You can't take away the fans hope going into the season.?

You guys have to get over the Blue collar lunch pail garbage. Its not the Rockpile days anymore. I realize a lot of you are fans from those days but teams now aren't built that way anymore. Its 2019 not 1960. 

All due respect, that’s a load of crap.

If you feel a solid work ethic is no longer in vogue and not essential as the foundation for success, you have little understanding of team building dynamics.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Oh, I forgot the big hands for throwing the ball in the cold part.

Throwing the ball accurately, consistently, is what we need from the QB, that's it.  I did not hear Palmer mention that.

People in the media keep saying the "blue collar" garbage because there isn't much else nice to say about the Buffalo fans base.  Rust belt fans with sports organizations that never win.

were you in so need of attention that you actually went back and added this on to your original post?!  that is just to funny.  keep changing to new user names bud!

Just now, K-9 said:

All due respect, that’s a load of crap.

If you feel a solid work ethic is no longer in vogue and not essential as the foundation for success, you have little understanding of team building dynamics.

Talent Trumps lunch pail work ethic every time.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MacGyver said:

Yep. And I’m not even remotely close to suggesting otherwise. 

Talent without that work ethic is useless. It’s what separates the good from the great. If you can name one great in any sport that didn’t have a superior work ethic, I might reconsider. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Talent does nothing without the work ethic. To say one over the other means you have no idea at all. The only thing that makes a difference at all is the work ethic. Talent without the other has never succeeded EVER. Without the drive to be better the talent is wasted, it gets shown all the time.

Edited by Boca BIlls
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

I like it...old school farm boy makes it big. Not much to do after work but Chuck footballs!

The farm boy pretty much had the most rich boy summer of all time. This stuff is getting silly at this point. 

35 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Sorry, I didn’t realize that hard work and taking pride in your craft no longer pays any dividends on the field?  That’s not a generational thing, it’s a universal truth, as relevant as the concept of gravity. Knock it all you want, but character still matters. 

Then why did Tom "Deflated Balls" Brady, Bill "Tape Your Practice" Belichick, and Robert "Cheat on Girlfriend with Prostitute" Kraft win yet another ring while we are stuck doing mental gymnastics justifying losing year after year?

Character and work ethic are two different things. Talent and work ethic are really all you need, everything else is just to make you feel good. 

18 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Marcel would like word...

He was/is an unintelligent pothead, that's why he wasted his talent.  He didn't need to be a Ryan Denny with is level of talent, just had to not be an idiot, in which he failed.

2 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

He was/is an unintelligent pothead, that's why he wasted his talent.  He didn't need to be a Ryan Denny with is level of talent, just had to not be an idiot, in which he failed.

I think more importantly, and to your original point, he had loads of talent but no drive (regardless of if he was a pothead, he certainly lacked motor).  Kyle Williams is a perfect example of a "lunch pail" guy with above-average but not necessarily elite talent that had a long and successful career.  Of course talent matters, but talent without drive is nothing.

• Like (+1) 4

59 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

The farm boy pretty much had the most rich boy summer of all time. This stuff is getting silly at this point. 

Then why did Tom "Deflated Balls" Brady, Bill "Tape Your Practice" Belichick, and Robert "Cheat on Girlfriend with Prostitute" Kraft win yet another ring while we are stuck doing mental gymnastics justifying losing year after year?

Character and work ethic are two different things. Talent and work ethic are really all you need, everything else is just to make you feel good. 

I was kidding. I like Allen and I find his honesty and work ethic refreshing. Many of the good virtues that he possesses were obviously instilled in him growing up. I believe that he did remarkably well last year considering what he was up against. He didn't even play a full season!

9 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

I'm concerned about Allen's anticipation. In Embedded, you see Beasley telling him to throw with anticipation, and Allen protests, saying he'll put it on Beasley as soon as he turns (in other words, "My arm is so strong I don't have to worry about anticipation"). Not a great sign.

Is this the new reporter chick's account? Like, Rodak but with balls?

2 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Yeah, every time I see stuff about work ethic, character, competitiveness, etc. it'll remind me of EJ. Good dude, I'm sure he worked hard as well. He didn't get the best deal in having Marrone/Hackett tell him from day one, "If it isn't there, just run." He already had that mentality in college and I thought it was something he needed to work on but Marrone was all about his 1970s-style power run game so that's what we got. The other thing for EJ that never came together was the mental side of things. I recall reading an article on the official website just before the 2014 season began and it mentioned how he struggled in school quite a bit and needed tutors. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm sure that puts someone even more behind the 8-ball when trying to study/recall/execute all the things a professional QB does. He also looked like he lacked a degree of trust in his teammates. If the play wasn't there as designed, his instinct was to do it himself somehow. 

EJ was a highly recruited High School prospect whose Dad was friends with Bruce Smith.

His was given every opportunity to succeed in college and the pro's.

I hoped he would be a great franchise QB for the Bills.  He wasn't.

Josh Allen went to JUCO and was throwing cantaloupe crates on the trailer.

That's blue collar in my book and I also hope he becomes a great franchise QB for the Bills.

So sick of the term blue collar.  I think it’s a subtle put down. They do with Buffalo a lot and it’s residents.   You aren’t super smart or talented, you just work hard.  Like there are no other type of people in Buffalo or that “white collar” people don’t work hard.

and to make the nfl, you have to work your @ss off.  Very few dudes are so talented that can coast to make it to the league.  How many Bills players have been recently who’s problem was not working hard enough as opposed to just not being good enough?  The foundation of the rosters for the last 18 years is hard working guys who just aren’t good enough. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So sick of the term blue collar.  I think it’s a subtle put down. They do with Buffalo a lot and it’s residents.   You aren’t super smart or talented, you just work hard.  Like there are no other type of people in Buffalo or that “white collar” people don’t work hard.

Yikes. It's the total opposite to me. The difference between blue collar and white collar, to me, is that blue collar is willing to do whatever is necessary. They go where you need them, how you need them, when you need them. Resolve.Grit. Determination. Commitment. They don't blame others for their failures and they don't pound their chest for their wins. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I see your point. The other 2 had great college programs and coaching Josh didn’t have. Allen’s arm strength is solely what he had to offer and with near zero help in quality coaching. It appears he knows this too and is willing to learn. He’s just a couple years behind the other two in quality coaching. I’m hopeful his cannon and unreal running skills will bode us well while he completes his apprenticeship for a couple more years..

I like what you said about a couple more years. I feel like too many fans expect Superbowl or bust for a sophomore QB, and that's a really unfair standard to set. I would be ecstatic if Allen becomes a top 5-10 QB this year, but I'm more looking for across the board improvements. Can he throw with more anticipation like Palmer mentioned? Can he develop his touch passes more, and raise the completion percentage in the short game? Can he take what the defense gives him instead of always looking for the deep play? Can he learn to trust his new o line and weapons, stay in the pocket and get the most of their abilities when the blocking allows it? I can't wait to find out, just a few more weeks. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Yikes. It's the total opposite to me. The difference between blue collar and white collar, to me, is that blue collar is willing to do whatever is necessary. They go where you need them, how you need them, when you need them. Resolve.Grit. Determination. Commitment. They don't blame others for their failures and they don't pound their chest for their wins. 

There are some very whiny blue collar people out there who complain about everything and everyone.   There are white collar people who do what you describe blue collar people as. 

I would bet bet a lot of people would say Brady and Rodgers are white collar.  But those dudes were completely overlooked and worked their butts off to get where they are at.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, H2o said:

Throwing with anticipation will come with familiarity and trust. When Allen can know what his guys are going to do, how they run their routes, the nuances about their game, then he will trust them to throw the ball earlier. He has to build that chemistry with all of the new guys. You could already see him doing it with Zay and Foster toward the end of the year. 

Yeah I agree. It’s going to take time but Beasley and Josh are both right  to some extent. Allen can shorten that window because of arm strength but he will still need some anticipation. They will get on the same page but it’s even more important that Josh puts it where Beasley wants it. Catch in stride! To make him really dangerous! He will flash it this year maybe a lot. But watch out once the two of them get a season together!!!