AFC Position Group Breakdown

Let’s be honest.  This division has been a joke and part of the reason for the Pats* success.  They have a cake walk every year.  So with training camp starting in a week,  I thought it would be a good time to break down the division.  I try to be an unbiased as possible.  4= highest, 1=lowest

QB

Pats - 4

Fins, Bills, Jets - 2

it’s the old man and a grand canyon drop.  The young guys aren’t proven enough to definitely pick a difference and right now, Fitz is the second best qb in the division.  I do think the Bills have the worst backup the group ( had to look it up but the Jets back up is Trevor Siemen).

RB

Jets - 4

Pats - 3

Bills - 2

Fins - 1

Bell is a douche canoe but he is super talented and completely fresh.  Pats and Bills are a bunch of guys but I think the Pats are slightly better and younger.  I think Drake is a weapon for Miami but they don’t use him right.

O line

pats - 4

Bills - 3

Jets - 2

Fins - 1

admittedly, I’m no oline expert (so necessary but so boring to me).  I think Brady makes the Pats oline a lot better than their individual abilities.  I like the Bills’ additions.  But ultimately, good oline work as a collective unit so all these groups need time to gel.

Wrs/ TEs

Pats - 4

Jets - 3

Bills - 2

Fins - 1 

very tough group to rank (included TEs).  Julian the rat and Harry (loved him) and playing with Brady completely elevates them.  Bills and Jets are very close but I gave the Jets the edge because I think their young TE is the best TE in the division.  I don’t know who Miami’s wrs are besides Parker, who had been a huge bust (but could be a fantasy sleeper because someone has to catch the ball!!!).

D line

Jets - 4

Bills - 3

Pats - 2

Fins - 1

tough call between the Bills and Jets.  On paper, the Jets have two top 5 picks on their d line.  I love Oliver but we didn’t have a DT sack besides Kyle last year and Star is one dimensional.  And the edge guys need to get to the qb more than they have.

LBs

Bills - 4

Jets - 3 

Pats - 2

Fins - 1

very close call again.  Mosley got overpaid but he’s really good.  I think the Bills have a deeper group.  And I don’t think the Pats group is great, they seem to make plays at big times. 

Secondary

Pats - 4

Bills - 3

Jets - 2

Fins - 1

some good groups here.  Even Miami has a star player.  The Gilmore hate he got here was dumb.  We have an excellent group and the Jets have some good pieces as well.

STs

Pats - 4

Bills - 3

Jets - 2

Fins - 1

whatever.  The Pats have the best K.

Coaching

Pats - 4

Bills, Jets - 2

Fins - 1

another Grand Canyon gap.  I think Gase and SM are more even than some posters want to credit.  I do like Flores but he has proven anything yet.

Final ranking 

Pats - 33 ?

Bills - 24

Jets - 24

Fins - 10 ?

? away

7 minutes ago, Steve Billieve said:

We could have the best secondary in the league, let alone the afce.

NFL Radio guys were ranking them across the league. Last I heard we were top 5, I think one guy had us at #2. 

I was listening to Boston sports radio and they were saying how the Pats have no idea what they have at WR or TE, and their starting LT has yet to play a game. Not to mention wondering if Brady at 42 is still good. And yet you give them a score of 4. Curious.

If you want to listen for yourself...

https://weei.radio.com/media/audio-channel/dale-keefe-what-are-biggest-question-marks-going-patriots-season

Edited by PromoTheRobot

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I was listening to Boston sports radio and they were saying how the Pats have no idea what they have at WR or TE, and their starting LT has yet to play a game. Not to mention wondering if Brady at 42 is still good. And yet you give them a score of 4. Curious.

You can't assume he's gonna go belly up till he does. We've been calling it for 5 years now. Last year showed real signs of decline, but they still won the superbowl. Hopefully he's off the cliff by end of september this year.

Not a horrible list, but it does speak to how bad the division is as a whole... look at those skill positions! Yuck!

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If you want to listen for yourself...

https://weei.radio.com/media/audio-channel/dale-keefe-what-are-biggest-question-marks-going-patriots-season

Yeah, I can’t imagine why I give the 6 time SB champs high marks.  ?.   This is definitely the year they finally collapse right?  But Boston sports guys are super objective and rational. 

23 minutes ago, Steve Billieve said:

We could have the best secondary in the league, let alone the afce.

I think our secondary is awesome.  The Pats have an all pro and I think our passing ranking is inflated because of some blowout games where our opponent took their foot off the pedal.  

But i can definitely see the chance for us being number 1.  We have a great group. 

12 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

You can't assume he's gonna go belly up till he does. We've been calling it for 5 years now. Last year showed real signs of decline, but they still won the superbowl. Hopefully he's off the cliff by end of september this year.

Not a horrible list, but it does speak to how bad the division is as a whole... look at those skill positions! Yuck!

His year of decline would have been the best qb season in Bills history.  Think about that!!! But I guess Brady should have been ranked much lower. 

15 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, I can’t imagine why I give the 6 time SB champs high marks.  ?.   This is definitely the year they finally collapse right?  But Boston sports guys are super objective and rational. 

I thought you were grading the 2019 Pats, not the 6-time champion Pats.

I'm also trying to wrap my mind around your second comment.

Brady wasn't that great last season. He made a few big plays against a jet lagged Chargers team. And made plays against the worst defense in the Chiefs. The Rams held his offense to 13 points. They were bad. Fortunate for him that the Rams offense was horrific. I think Belichick is the main reason they won last season. Regardless, last year Brady went down at the first sign of contract in the pocket. He was a big reason his team got blown out in a bunch of road games too. If the Patriots are going to win the division this season it's going to be because of their defense and coaching. The Bills have a very good chance to win this division.

Edited by Billsfanatic8989

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

PTR, with all due respect, you’ve been predicting the Pats downfall for the last 15 years.  Where would you have Brady ranked?  Under Allen, I assume?

and boston media is some of the worst in the world.  They are same idiots that say the dynasty is over when the Pats lose a game in regular season.  

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Your first point is spot on. I feel like pubdits are putting the Patriots as odds on favorites to repeat as SB Champions because of history. All the while ignoring how the fact that the 2019 squad is inferior on paper to the other "contenders".

47 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

They won a Super Bowl not because of him, but more despite him. Let’s hope the slide speeds up, and you can just focus on stopping the run, which killed us last year vs the Cheaters*. 

45 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

PTR, with all due respect, you’ve been predicting the Pats downfall for the last 15 years.  Where would you have Brady ranked?  Under Allen, I assume?

and boston media is some of the worst in the world.  They are same idiots that say the dynasty is over when the Pats lose a game in regular season.  

Most mortal NFL teams don't have 20 year dynasties. Sorry, but there are too many questions and whispers about the Patriots for me to ever fully respect them.

As for Brady he's 40-frickin'-2 year old!!  Either he's getting ready to fall off or that TB12 Method s**t is Terminator-grade PED!!

Third, are you seriously saying that Boston sports media has no idea what is happening with their own team? Even they know the 2019 Patriots have question marks. Who is their TE to replace Gronk? Ben Watson is 38 and suspended for 4 weeks. Who is their #1 WR?  Edelman is 33 and has an injured thumb. Who's after Edelman? Harry? How many rookie WRs have breakout years? Like none.  How about the Pats O-line you gave a 4 to. Isaiah Wynn, 2018 Rd1 pick missed all of last year with injury...and he's the top of the depth chart at Left Tackle. The guy responsible for protecting Brady's blind side has yet to play a regular season game in the NFL!  Even the Boston Herald thinks the Pats are taking a huge risk:

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/07/23/hard-to-believe-patriots-standing-pat-at-left-tackle/

At the moment, 2018 first-round draft pick Isaiah Wynn out of Georgia holds the top spot on the depth chart for the position responsible for protecting the 42-year-old quarterback’s blind side, which seems so risky given that Wynn missed all of last season with an Achilles injury. Too risky to believe the Patriots will stand pat at the position, especially with no proven players behind him.

So with all due respect,  maybe you should take another look at those Pats grades and stop letting their 6 rings distract you.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Not sure how you can give the secondary to the Pats. They may have a really good player in Gilmore, but the Bills also have a star in White, a great safety tandem, and great depth at every position.

And the Pats are weak at WR/TE. That should probably go to the Jets and maybe the Bills and Pats are tied at 2nd. Edelman is injured ALL the time, and even when healthy he hasn't been the same player as a couple years ago. And who do they have besides him? A whole lot of nothing. I'm sure they'll be ok because they have Brady and BB, but that doesn't make their WR/TE's good.

Edited by MJS

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I listen to Boston sports talk just about daily and never, ever  hear them talk as you say. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I suspect the most shocking change in position rankings in the next couple of seasons will be the most important position.....QB. 

Time will wither Brady, and youth will gain knowledge and experience. 

10 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Final ranking 

Pats - 33 ?

Bills - 24

Jets - 24

Fins - 10 ?

? away

I could pick at some of the rankings that get you there but the final ranking feels to me about right. The Patriots are still a championship contender, the Bills and Jets are improved on a year ago and both have a shot at a wildcard but still have some holes and the Fins are kind of at the start of a complete do-over which has left them under talented in a number of areas.

• Like (+1) 1