Bills 2017 Draft - It Might Be Really Good

6 minutes ago, nucci said:

So we don't pick a good player because the team is not good?

They did not trade back to get a bad player, right.  A to corner in the NFL is a big deal.  Of course QBs are the most important...  The Bills for what ever reason were not sold on him, and were one of 10 teams who passed on him.  Also a lot of teams were in better position to trade up to get him than KC and did not.  Add to that one team who passed on him took a different QB anyway.  

I guess half of the NFL should have fired there GM over this......

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

They did not trade back to get a bad player, right.  A to corner in the NFL is a big deal.  Of course QBs are the most important...  The Bills for what ever reason were not sold on him, and were one of 10 teams who passed on him.  Also a lot of teams were in better position to trade up to get him than KC and did not.  Add to that one team who passed on him took a different QB anyway.  

I guess half of the NFL should have fired there GM over this......

Exactly.  several teams traded up to pick players NOT named Mahomes.  Others passed him up or stood pat maybe hoping he would fall to the second round.

No one saw this coming except KC.  Good on them.  That doesn't mean every other team with a top 20 draft pick was asleep at the wheel.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

That’s very concise and insightful way to sum up the 2017 draft.

But I believe the draft was quite good for a guy who never coached an NFL game as an HC. 

But that was my problem with the draft that year.  I think SM has too much power.  They killed it on defense and missed terribly on offense (Peterman and 3 wrs).  And that makes sense given SM’s background.  

I think White is a star. I think Milano are good to solid starters.  But you would get laughed at if you offered them for  Mahomes and Watson.  That’s how much a qb means.  If Allen become the guy, that changes everything.

and the hindsight draft is you draft Mahomes/ Watson at 10, don’t trade up and take Zay and instead take JuJu or Kupp.  I have a feeling we would be doing backflips over that foundation.  But the beautiful part is Allen has a chance to erase any doubts.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chemical said:

Not when he could've been Watson or Mahomes. It's not asking too much either, they went out of their way to screw it up. We needed a QB, take a QB, then take another one and another until you have a good one, then take another one that might be better.

Zay Jones get a pass from fans for some reason I'll never understand. OBJ makes an arrogant comment in an interview and everyone here hates him. Meanwhile, Zay Jones is on video trying to jump through a window naked and everyone loves him.

This is absolutely idiotic.....

I understand that you didnt get the players that you wanted....but to take players like Tre White (arguably top 3 at his position) and the 1st rounder that turns into Josh Allen the next year and say they were BAD picks just does not compute in reality.

They could have easily been Shaq Lawson type picks......and they were not

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

He said they were "bad" picks

They were not

White is a really good player.  White if Allen doesn’t turn out to be a good qb doesn’t come close to Mahomes/ Watson.  

And Zay has value.  But trading up for Zay was a bad move. 

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

White is a really good player.  White if Allen doesn’t turn out to be a good qb doesn’t come close to Mahomes/ Watson.  

And Zay has value.  But trading up for Zay was a bad move. 

I am not saying that White equals Mahomes/Watson but that is the the equation

It is White (plus a 1st round draft pick the following year) and does THAT equal Mohommes/Watson

And even THEN....it does not make it a bad pick because we ended up getting a top 3 to 5 at his position in the first round.....this cannot be construed as a loss

2 hours ago, eball said:

Bills fans hated a guy for his 5 catch, 38 yard, 0 TD performance?

We hated him for his cheap shot antics with our DBs who frustrated him all day. Being the classless jerk he is, he resorted to the cheap shots. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Ugh!! You guys are judging the Bills draft based on players we DIDN’T draft! Come on man! Are you also going to toss in all of the players we didn’t draft that totally flames out for other teams? This is just stupid!

EXACTLY. but whatever, it's tiring arguing with people determined to be negative.

28 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I am not saying that White equals Mahomes/Watson but that is the the equation

It is White (plus a 1st round draft pick the following year) and does THAT equal Mohommes/Watson

And even THEN....it does not make it a bad pick because we ended up getting a top 3 to 5 at his position in the first round.....this cannot be construed as a loss

Neither the Texans/ Chiefs would trade either of those guys for that package.  I’m not saying it’s fair, especially to Allen.  But that’s the really.  For instance, Donte Whitner was a bad pick that high.  However, if NE picks him,  he probably becomes a key contributor to SB teams.  The QB trumps everything and until you get that guy, every player is a little less valuable.  

I think what sucks is how good both of those guys are so early.  I hope Allen can get to Mitch Tribusky type play (imagine the Bears with Mahomes or Watson). 

6 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

EXACTLY. but whatever, it's tiring arguing with people determined to be negative.

You literally were that person when the Bills had Whaley.  

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

We hated him for his cheap shot antics with our DBs who frustrated him all day. Being the classless jerk he is, he resorted to the cheap shots. 

Yeah, ODJ is a little cheap shot punk.  He’s the guy that sucker punches and runs away.  

1 hour ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

Exactly.  several teams traded up to pick players NOT named Mahomes.  Others passed him up or stood pat maybe hoping he would fall to the second round.

No one saw this coming except KC.  Good on them.  That doesn't mean every other team with a top 20 draft pick was asleep at the wheel.

It seems like some here think the Bills were sleeping at the wheel.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You literally were that person when the Bills had Whaley.  

Whaley earned it with the following:

1) lack of coherent planning.

2) complete mismanagement of the draft

3) a visible, tangible misunderstanding of how to NOT overpay for underperforming players, thereby leaving the cap in a shambles and the team with a 9 win ceiling.

By my metric, mcbeane are already ahead in two and possibly all three categories.

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, ODJ is a little cheap shot punk.  He’s the guy that sucker punches and runs away.  

Which is why I have no respect for the man. None at all. 

51 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Chemical... committed to out-miserable scottlaw on a daily basis...

They can complete each other’s sentences. 

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Whaley earned it with the following:

1) lack of coherent planning.

2) complete mismanagement of the draft

3) a visible, tangible misunderstanding of how to NOT overpay for underperforming players, thereby leaving the cap in a shambles and the team with a 9 win ceiling.

By my metric, mcbeane are already ahead in two and possibly all three categories.

Yet, we have the same exact record after 2 years.    And we just paid Star, a one dimension player, and Murphy who had one good season, injury issues and PEDs issues.  

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Like (+1) 1