Good Music Documentaries

Ok home with Prime up so I’ll mention a few. Forgive me if they have been mentioned

Hired Guns. About A-list studio guitarist 

Ok I was going to post others but sorry gotta go. Janes Addiction - Alive at Twenty-Five just popped up. I have to watch this. Review to follow 

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Oh no doubt dude had chops. Now the Ulrich guy?  ?

Even as a huge Metallica fan, I wouldn't rate Lars as one of the best drummers, but in many cases, you don't need to be the best at it for a band to be good.

And its tough to compare when your not comparing the same genres of music, some types of music require better skills then others

As for Peart and Page, its very hipster to take a popular opinion and widely regarded fact and say the opposite. Peart may not be 'God like', but he is definitely in the top 10. Page may be one of the better guitarists based on the era that he played.

If your a drummer, you might enjoy Fred Armasans (from SNL) Stand-up special that he did called 'Stand-up for Drummers' i believe. His entire special is all about drums, being a drummer and music. It wasn't bad, might be more enjoyable for people who are really into drumming.

3 hours ago, The Senator said:

The Last Waltz

Gimme Shelter

Shine a Light

Meet the Ruttles

Rutles > Spinal Tap. (And I love Spinal tap.

15 hours ago, without a drought said:

Sgt. Pepper's Musical Revolution that aired on PBS had quite a bit on the recording techniques used and created for this album, The album was a game changer in how music was recorded. 

I'll have to check it out. I saw a Beatles Tribute band perform the complete album with a full symphony last summer and I gained a whole new appreciation for it. 

watching one right now on Netflix, very cool premise so far.  Called Princess Shaw, about a female 'lounge' singer from New Orleans who puts her a capella songs on youtube, then some dude in israel, called Kudiman, adds does arrangements and adds instrumentals from his home.  Princess Shaw has an Adele/Amy WInehouse vibe in her voice, she seems like really sweet person that has been through some rough times and keeps plugging away...i think it culminates in her going to do a somewhat surprise show in Israel or NY with all the back accompaniment unknown her. She's made some appearances on songs with bands like galactic.  could be a very under the radar gem

45 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

watching one right now on Netflix, very cool premise so far.  Called Princess Shaw, about a female 'lounge' singer from New Orleans who puts her a capella songs on youtube, then some dude in israel, called Kudiman, adds does arrangements and adds instrumentals from his home.  Princess Shaw has an Adele/Amy WInehouse vibe in her voice, she seems like really sweet person that has been through some rough times and keeps plugging away...i think it culminates in her going to do a somewhat surprise show in Israel or NY with all the back accompaniment unknown her. She's made some appearances on songs with bands like galactic.  could be a very under the radar gem

Intriguing.  Would you say more Amy, or more Adele.  I think Amy Winehouse was a magical throwback and a once in a generation talent.  I think Adele is a yeller.

• Like (+1) 1

Just finished watching it, WOW!  May not be everyone's cup of tea, but damn that girl has some drive, tons of talent and a lot of inner power.  There were times I couldn't wipe the smile off of my face.  such a cool concept by that kutiman dude.  

I think she is more adele without the yelling, but you hear that passion that Amy brought to the table.  I am really glad my buddy gave me the recommendation, i really enjoyed it

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Intriguing.  Would you say more Amy, or more Adele.  I think Amy Winehouse was a magical throwback and a once in a generation talent.  I think Adele is a yeller.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, without a drought said:

Sgt. Pepper's Musical Revolution that aired on PBS had quite a bit on the recording techniques used and created for this album, The album was a game changer in how music was recorded. 

Is that recent? Would love to check that out!