Good Music Documentaries

Paul McCartney - In Red Square.  You get a great concert and a great back story about The Beatles in the USSR during the Cold War.  Not really fitting your description, but still a very good watch.

Edited by Mark80

Not sure what you are into but this one is from 1971... also features some early Flo and Eddie... working on the song sheets is pretty cool, and the cast of characters is pretty diverse. Not for everyone but I check it out every couple of years:

• Like (+1) 1

I've seen a few recently in the past few years about various unsung heroes of music. 

Standing in the Shadows of Motown. It's about The Funk Brothers, the studio band for Motown. Those guys were fantastic. Played on more #1 hits than The Beatles, Beach Boys, and Elvis combined. Unfortunately they were essentially just hired hands, so don't have the bank accounts to show it.

The Wrecking Crew, which played on basically any pop song you know from the late 50s until the mid 70s. A whole bunch of Beach Boys (Help me Rhonda, Good vibrations, Surfin' USA to name a few.) You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin fro The Righteous Brothers. California Dreamin. I Got you Babe. Strangers in the Night. These Boots Are Made For Walkin.MacArther Park. Mrs Robinson.Love Will Keep Us Together. 

Hired Guns- Musicians that are hired on a contract basis from tour to tour. Paints Billy Joel in a not so pleasant light. 

• Like (+1) 1