Off season discussion - Abolish the divisions!

tomur67

AFC

Atlantic

Jets

Patriots

Ravens

Eagles

Great Lakes

Buffalo

Cleveland

Pittsburgh

Detroit

Southeast

Miami

Jacksonville

Atlanta

Tampa Bay

West

Kansas City

Denver

Las Vegas

Arizona

NFC

East

Giants

Skins that are not caucasian

Cowboys

Lost Souls

Bengals

Texans

Panthers

Saints

Northern Plains

Packers

Vikings

Bears

Colts

West

Seattle

49ers

Chargers

Rams

and I forgot a team, so just contract them

On 7/23/2019 at 1:06 PM, macaroni said:

Why do you only consider NFC teams as ones with "national exposure"? Why do you think Green Bay isn't a "small market" team?

IMHO a team gets national exposure when they become a team who consistently win more than they lose, a team who logically are in play for a playoff spot year in and year out throughout the season regardless of their local market, Green Bay being a case in point. 

We used to be a national exposure team when we were awesome, its just been too long so we don't remember it much anymore and it happened to be before the days of fantasy football, NFL network, Thursday night games, etc.....  beat NE once this year and win on Thanksgiving and suddenly we could be shown more national games....

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/24/2019 at 9:05 AM, co_springs_billsfan said:

Geographically these make complete sense, but tv market wise ($) it would limit interest too much.

For example, when the Redskins play now there are very interested parties in Dallas, New York, and Philly. Probably add Ravens fans to that who either have a 2nd team, or hate the neighbor team.

When Ravens/Redskins play in your new scenario you actually shrink your interested tv market (by not playing opponents outside the area).

I see your point, but I don't think college football has much trouble pulling ratings when Alabama plays Auburn or Ohio St plays Michigan. 

So many fans are so afraid of change.  It is telling.

I'd absolutely lobby for 2 conferences, open field/round robin style.  It forces teams to actually play all of the competition, and would likely create more "just" results ie: the best teams tend to be ranked top to bottom.  Isn't that what we want?

This will NEVER happen, but there should be some sort of equivalent promotion/relegation system too.  There needs to be a system that disincentivizes tanking for high draft picks.  Especially since it seems so often the same 5 teams are always drafting in the top 5, and don't seem to actually improve.

I want even competition, that would likely create entertaining games with few blowouts.  In order to do this, you can't have Buffalo playing New England twice a year.  The Bills, along with Cleveland, Jax, and some others, are de facto minor league teams anyway.   Why not just recognize that and embrace it?  

On 7/23/2019 at 10:37 AM, frostbitmic said:

Changing up divisions might be a good idea to get closer rivalries. I could see a couple divisions like so ...

Buffalo

Pittsburgh

Cleveland

Detroit

or

LA Rams

LA Chargers

London/Jacksonville

New England

LOL, so yo would organize it that New England gets to travel to the west coast at least twice and England once every year!