Bills bring back Brian Gaine

CNY315

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

How did he "help the Bills earn their first playoff spot in 2017"?

He was part of the front office. Based on this qualification, you could probably say that about a lot of people in the organization. But, he did have a pretty sizeable role at the time as far as team building goes.

23 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I remember when ppl were saying this when Tom Modrak was hired. That never really worked out.

We made the playoffs the last year Gaine was in the Front Office -- can't say that with Modrak ?

14 minutes ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

Should have traded us Clowney for a 4th before getting the axe.

Totally agree.  Asleep at the f'ing wheel.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MiltonWaddams said:

He was part of the front office. Based on this qualification, you could probably say that about a lot of people in the organization. But, he did have a pretty sizeable role at the time as far as team building goes.

I guess.  He was there for one year--the season they went to the playoffs.  Not sure what moves he could have been involved in in a few months in the Bills FO to have had any impact in 2017.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I guess.  He was there for one year--the season they went to the playoffs.  Not sure what moves he could have been involved in in a few months in the Bills FO to have had any impact in 2017.

And was hired by Beane (after himself interviewing here for Beane's job) so AFTER that year's FA and draft. He is a well respected personnel guy but I think it is a stretch to say he "helped" the team make the playoffs. He much more "helped" their 2018 draft - the Josh Allen / Tremaine Edmunds e v a l.... even though he was gone before the draft. 

My only worry about this is where he fits. He was the Director of Player Personnel. Dan Morgan has that job now. So is he reporting to Morgan? If so is he senior to the Malik Boyd (Dir Pro Personnel) and Terrence Gray (Dir College Scouting)? Or is he in fact not reporting to Morgan but directly to Beane and Schoen? 

I hate messy organisational structures that create ambiguity about who is accountable for what and to who... my experience across 3 professions is that never works well. My instinct is that the Bills think that Morgan and Schoen are likely to get looks elsewhere next off-season if Allen and Edmunds take a step and the Bills 2019 class looks good out of the gate. They have got Gaine back in the building and if either of those two roles (essentially the 2nd and 3rd in command) become available after 2019 he will seamlessly move into that job. I just hope until then how he fits into the rest of the structure is very clearly defined. 

• Like (+1) 5

With the talented young people that the Bills have in their FO, it is just a matter of time before some of them move to other teams for promotional opportunities.  Keeping them all for this season will provide the Bills with flexibility to fill future openings when they occur.  It also won't hurt to have another capable guy to help prepare for the 2020 draft ( since the Bills will be picking later than in the recent few years ).

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

I remember when ppl were saying this when Tom Modrak was hired. That never really worked out.

How about you go build a drone out of bubble gum and matchsticks and leave us alone, ok?

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

Strange comment imo. Do you know who else is in their FO? I’m not speaking of this move in isolation when i say that it is a really good group.

Several current or future GM candidates and/or experience: in addition to Gaine —, Joe Schoen, Malik Boyd, Terrence Gray, Dan Morgan, Lake Dawson, Dennis Hickey

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Strange comment imo. Do you know who else is in their FO? I’m not speaking of this move in isolation when i say that it is a really good group.

Several current or future GM candidates and/or experience: in addition to Gaine —, Joe Schoen, Malik Boyd, Terrence Gray, Dan Morgan, Lake Dawson, Dennis Hickey

It's not a strange comment.  Bills fans said the same thing about the Donahoe & Modrak dynamic duo.  

1 hour ago, JoeF said:

Kudos to the Pegulas for continuing to invest in the personnel department.  Bills have a top notch scouting staff.  Glad to see Gaine landed back in a comfortable place. 

It all starts at the top, and they are starting to understand this. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

It's not a strange comment.  Bills fans said the same thing about the Donahoe & Modrak dynamic duo.  

In my opinion, it is, because “Bills fans” aren’t the ones saying it. The Bills have a well respected FO. It’s ok to accept this.

• Like (+1) 2