Bills bring back Brian Gaine

CNY315

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You have to look at the production per rush of Clowney which is right up there with the top guys in the league. He is just not used as a pure rusher in Houston. When they send him after the QB he creates havoc. But the one thing the Texans are loaded with is people who can get after the QB. 

What do you think he's worth,gunner?

17 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Ah, here we go, the "sorry life" BS, lmao. So predictable.  I assume you will tell me to go root for another team soon. 

Bills have not proven they are good yet, that's all the reality that matters.  

I would suggest that if multiple people are harping on your attitude, you may not be communicating effectively. There's nothing wrong with not being a kool-aid drinker, but I myself don't understand the overt negativity I see in some of the posts I've noticed you make. 

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

I would suggest that if multiple people are harping on your attitude, you may not be communicating effectively. There's nothing wrong with not being a kool-aid drinker, but I myself don't understand the overt negativity I see in some of the posts I've noticed you make. 

you're a good man.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Being a fan should be fun, it's just a game. If supporting a team makes you unhappy, why continue to root for that team? If you kept going to the same restaurant for years and then roundly complaining to everyone how much that restaurant sucks, I think it would be fair to say that you're the one with the issue, for forcing food down your gullet that you have a choice not to eat. I don't understand why people would choose to be fans of a team and then just complain about it at every turn. I would suggest that those people don't support the team, they are just looking for an excuse to complain.

Not sure why it's assumed I'm not having fun. Sure, it would be more fun if the team was good, but they're not.

Just now, MacGyver said:

Not sure why it's assumed I'm not having fun. Sure, it would be more fun if the team was good, but they're not.

Yeah that was unfair, which is why I deleted the second half of my post. I hope you do have fun supporting the team and hope we can all finally enjoy a successful product this season!

Just now, ndirish1978 said:

Yeah that was unfair, which is why I deleted the second half of my post. I hope you do have fun supporting the team and hope we can all finally enjoy a successful product this season!

It's fine, the banter is part of the fun. If the team was actually good there would be better things to talk about...

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I guess.  He was there for one year--the season they went to the playoffs.  Not sure what moves he could have been involved in in a few months in the Bills FO to have had any impact in 2017.

Whaley was just as much responsible for breaking the drought as him.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

What do you think he's worth,gunner?

It is a hard question to answer. Flowers got $18m per year and Clowney is better than him. I personally think he is better than Frank Clark as well who got $21m per from the Chiefs but I don't think he is as good as Lawrence who got that same deal from Dallas. So I think this market says $20m+. He isn't getting Mack money but he will be pretty much there with the next tier of guys which is Lawrence and Clark. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And was hired by Beane (after himself interviewing here for Beane's job) so AFTER that year's FA and draft. He is a well respected personnel guy but I think it is a stretch to say he "helped" the team make the playoffs. He much more "helped" their 2018 draft - the Josh Allen / Tremaine Edmunds e v a l.... even though he was gone before the draft. 

My only worry about this is where he fits. He was the Director of Player Personnel. Dan Morgan has that job now. So is he reporting to Morgan? If so is he senior to the Malik Boyd (Dir Pro Personnel) and Terrence Gray (Dir College Scouting)? Or is he in fact not reporting to Morgan but directly to Beane and Schoen? 

I hate messy organisational structures that create ambiguity about who is accountable for what and to who... my experience across 3 professions is that never works well. My instinct is that the Bills think that Morgan and Schoen are likely to get looks elsewhere next off-season if Allen and Edmunds take a step and the Bills 2019 class looks good out of the gate. They have got Gaine back in the building and if either of those two roles (essentially the 2nd and 3rd in command) become available after 2019 he will seamlessly move into that job. I just hope until then how he fits into the rest of the structure is very clearly defined. 

Most sports organizations aren't clearly defined because it is such a collaborative effort. All businesses are, but if you look across sports you often can't pin point who made what specific decision. In football, you have to balance the coach, pro and college personnel decisions, the gm and the owner. Their's often 5 or more people involved in the decision.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

It is a hard question to answer. Flowers got $18m per year and Clowney is better than him. I personally think he is better than Frank Clark as well who got $21m per from the Chiefs but I don't think he is as good as Lawrence who got that same deal from Dallas. So I think this market says $20m+. He isn't getting Mack money but he will be pretty much there with the next tier of guys which is Lawrence and Clark. 

Wow..so much for that idea.I would love him here but......

2 hours ago, MacGyver said:

So they'll win games now right?

Not trying to pick a fight, but c'mon, lets not continue to be such a gullible fan base.

Take your paper clips, rubber bands and and feminine hygiene spray and go play in some other sandbox.

Yes, I’ll pick a fight.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Most sports organizations aren't clearly defined because it is such a collaborative effort. All businesses are, but if you look across sports you often can't pin point who made what specific decision. In football, you have to balance the coach, pro and college personnel decisions, the gm and the owner. Their's often 5 or more people involved in the decision.

I don't agree with that actually. I think most sports organisations when successful have pretty clear defined areas of responsibility. Doesn't mean decisions can't still be collaborative but ultimately the areas of responsibility are clear. I think Gaine is a good personnel guy and you can never have too many good guys..... but I do worry slightly about creating any ambiguity in portfolios.  

3 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Wow..so much for that idea.I would love him here but......

Yea agree. He is going to be a big ticket item and my worry with him is less his production (the detailed analytics show it is there) or the injury (he has stayed healthy the last two years) it is the motivation. It was a knock on him coming out and still gives me pause for thought at that price. 

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Is it really being  “gullible” to admit they have a good FO? Are the national reporters who state this, or fans of other teams who say this, gullible or just understand the experienced and developing talent of their personnel group is strong? I don’t think I follow .... which is fine. 

Matt Miller ain't out here fckin' around-- he does the work. If he says that he means it. Thanks for posting, Yolo

55 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You have to look at the production per rush of Clowney which is right up there with the top guys in the league. He is just not used as a pure rusher in Houston. When they send him after the QB he creates havoc. But the one thing the Texans are loaded with is people who can get after the QB. 

Ok but what are you going to give up Compensation wise 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Ok but what are you going to give up Compensation wise 

I wouldn't trade for him. I would be interested if he hits FA.... but still wary about the price. I only replied because the "his best year was 9.5 sacks" is not a fair evaluation. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think he will be more of an assistant GM to Beane. they said he will work in both college and pro personnel I’m guessing he will work with Schoen, who is probably going to get some interviews in the next GM hiring cycle. There is never a lack of work to do and as long as the oWners are willing to pay, might as well get Beane more help. 

This is just me talking.but I think Beane already told him to get a very nice place on Pensacola Beach....smack dab in the middle of SEC territory.

In my opinion..he's going to be a traveling man with mega connections.

I'm 70/30 on his signing because I think what we have going on here is some great chemistry between Beane and coach..threesome's can be pleasurable,or deadly.

Regardless..I expect some rock solid draft selections next year..

He is a worker..just like Coach and Beane are.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I wouldn't trade for him. I would be interested if he hits FA.... but still wary about the price. I only replied because the "his best year was 9.5 sacks" is not a fair evaluation. 

Ok well UFA is a lot different then giving up BOTH Compensation and Contract for what you will say is your pass rusher that hasn’t had over 9.5 sacks. To me adding Compensation AND big contract you better have 10 sacks otherwise why not just roll out the players you already have on contract that give you same production combine. 

Now if if we are taking strictly next year as a UFA (if not tagged) then I have a different interpretation 

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Ok well UFA is a lot different then giving up BOTH Compensation and Contract for what you will say is your pass rusher that hasn’t had over 9.5 sacks. To me adding Compensation AND big contract you better have 10 sacks otherwise why not just roll out the players you already have on contract that give you same production combine. 

Now if if we are taking strictly next year as a UFA (if not tagged) then I have a different interpretation 

I wasn't arguing to trade for him. The other reason I prefer waiting is I genuinely believe despite the Hughes signing this team will be sitting next January saying "man we are an edge rusher and a top wideout away." The next draft is deep at wideout. Sign Clowney as well you might really be onto something. 

Edit: the 9.5 sacks is simple. If he rushed more he would have more sacks. Just as an example over the last two years he has 3.5 fewer sacks than Frank Clark who KC just paid $21m a year. PFF graded Clowney higher in pass rush specifically both years. 

Edited by GunnerBill