Tesla retaliates against whistlebowers and unionized workers

stuvian

11 hours ago, stuvian said:

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/29089/tesla-enters-whistleblower-hell

including actions against workers in Buffalo

well that sucks .... 

At the risk of layman’s misinterpretation, the allegations appear similar to claims made to the National Labour Relations Board in June on behalf of employees at Tesla’s Buffalo factory, that the company interfered with ex-employees’ efforts to find work. Business Insider quotes the redacted lawsuit, in which the plaintiffs allege Tesla “intentionally interfered with efforts to seek employment with other employers in retaliation for outspoken union support.”  

In Count III, Hansen further claims Musk and Tesla’s management actively concealed and participated in misconduct including spying on employees -- illegal surveillance is also alleged in the aforementioned Buffalo case -- improper contracts, and thefts being orchestrated by organized crime.

Twice over

13 hours ago, stuvian said:

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/29089/tesla-enters-whistleblower-hell

including actions against workers in Buffalo

Wonder if that would include the thousands of workers that were promised, yet, never will be hired . A $750,000,000 warehouse is basically what that place is and pretty much everyone knew that’s what it would become,  contrary to Coumo’s promise.

1 hour ago, I am the egg man said:

Wonder if that would include the thousands of workers that were promised, yet, never will be hired . A $750,000,000 warehouse is basically what that place is and pretty much everyone knew that’s what it would become,  contrary to Coumo’s promise.

Based upon all the smaller facilities WNY has lost over the years, it would make one helluva bowling alley.  500-600 lanes!

47 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Elon is trying to move society forward and all people can do is B word about it, typical. Unions are a cancer.

Unions are a balance against unfettered employer power. Just because some got greedy doesn't mean they don't serve a purpose. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

Elon is trying to move society forward and all people can do is B word about it, typical. Unions are a cancer.

Unions are most certainly not a cancer.  Their main problem is that they make it too hard to fire a crappy worker.  Grievances, 10 strike and your out discipline plans, only willing to work at a certain station or certain job, things like that.  It would seem obvious to me that a well run union would be open to easily getting rid of the "bad" workers.  It would improve the operations of their companies, potentially leading to more revenues/profits, higher pay/benefits, less offshoring, more jobs.  Instead, they are mostly too consumed with keeping their dues high, to the detriment of their "good" worker members.  Unions are a good idea, that is often executed very poorly and with some obvious corruption.

As far as this article goes.  I studied unions at undergrad, took many labor law courses there as well as in grad school.  I never came across a scenario where a company was punishing someone for talking unionization while they were working there AFTER they were no longer employed there.  I'm not sure if that is illegal or not, really.  Certainly it would be if they were working there and were retaliated against, but AFTER, that's a different animal that I have not heard of before.

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Mark80 said:

Unions are most certainly not a cancer.  Their main problem is that they make it too hard to fire a crappy worker.  Grievances, 10 strike and your out discipline plans, only willing to work at a certain station or certain job, things like that.  It would seem obvious to me that a well run union would be open to easily getting rid of the "bad" workers.  It would improve the operations of their companies, potentially leading to more revenues/profits, higher pay/benefits, less offshoring, more jobs.  Instead, they are mostly too consumed with keeping their dues high, to the detriment of their "good" worker members.  Unions are a good idea, that is often executed very poorly and with some obvious corruption.

Yes, hence they are a cancer.  They have been corrupted, no longer work as intended, etc.

Just now, MacGyver said:

Yes, hence they are a cancer.  They have been corrupted, no longer work as intended, etc.

No, it does not mean that at all.  It means SOME are run badly.  There are plenty of decent ones out there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Gearing up to vote for Trump again, huh?

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Gearing up to vote for Trump again, huh?

There is really no other option unless you want open borders, medicare for all (including all the illegal mexicans, africans, muslims, yadda) no more cows and planes, slave reparations, etc,  which all sound like incredibly terrible/insane and economically detrimental policies.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Unions are a balance against unfettered employer power. Just because some got greedy doesn't mean they don't serve a purpose. 

Personally, I think talent, ambition and marketable skills are more important...

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Personally, I think talent, ambition and marketable skills are more important...

Yeah, if you work for yourself, maybe. Busting your ass for a boss only makes them rich. You get to keep your job with maybe a cut in salary here or increased medical deductible there. Eventually they figure out they can replace you off-shore.  That's the deal when it's just you and your boss. They like to paint pretty pictures about talent and ambition getting you ahead, but really you're just toilet paper.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Mark80 said:

As far as this article goes.  I studied unions at undergrad, took many labor law courses there as well as in grad school.  I never came across a scenario where a company was punishing someone for talking unionization while they were working there AFTER they were no longer employed there.  I'm not sure if that is illegal or not, really.  Certainly it would be if they were working there and were retaliated against, but AFTER, that's a different animal that I have not heard of before.

...that my friend is DEAD ON.....we are a Union shop....and they protect the dregs because they are dues paying members......I think the Electrical Union(IBEW) is the only one left which still maintains the archaic "sign the book" system....many others allow you to find your own work......if we need 4 electricians and the next four are comprised of 2 good ones and 2 skanks, I have to take all 4 and lay off the skanks the next day (we call it "spinning them")......if travelers (electricians from other locals ) come into our local jurisdiction, I can hire them only if our local is at full employment.....and the skanks know I have to lay off traveler(s) who could be really good before them, so the skanks get skankier because they know they're untouchable...effed up....you don't think it is an embarrassment when the customer's Project Manager calls up about skanks coasting?...purge the garbage dammit....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

7 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Dude's a crony capitalist (aka a crapitalist) that sucks up corporate welfare promising big ideas but delivering small, all the while building up his own cult of personality

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yeah, if you work for yourself, maybe. Busting your ass for a boss only makes them rich. You get to keep your job with maybe a cut in salary here or increased medical deductible there. Eventually they figure out they can replace you off-shore.  That's the deal when it's just you and your boss. They like to paint pretty pictures about talent and ambition getting you ahead, but really you're just toilet paper.

They should be punished with a UBI paid by them.

Either work & pay them or automate, ship jobs off and if they want their product to be sold back in the States... Then pay society they are ***** -ing over.

Businesses, corporations shouldn't be "opioid" dealers and kill their customers.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

9 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I always think "I'm working for myself" even when I have an employer.  You're ultimately your own boss if you have marketable skills and a willingness to embrace a "You Incorporated"  career path.   Talent gives you freedom to choose where, when, how,  etc.    Especially in a sub-4% unemployment world.    

If you're talented and don't like your boss, leave.    It will work out fine...

8 hours ago, Lurker said:

I always think "I'm working for myself" even when I have an employer.  You're ultimately your own boss if you have marketable skills and a willingness to embrace a "You Incorporated"  career path.   Talent gives you freedom to choose where, when, how,  etc.    Especially in a sub-4% unemployment world.    

If you're talented and don't like your boss, leave.    It will work out fine...

I'm very fortunate to have been able to take the freelance route after  25 years of workin' for the man. Actually radio used to be a great job but went to complete s##t when ownership caps were lifted and deregulation kicked in.