Who Will Be Better in 2019 - The Bills or The Jets

54 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

partly.

This goes back to even before the draft  -  Based on what I saw on all the pre draft sports shows and read on the write ups  I liked Allen over Darnold. 

Luckily for me in last years draft - they drafted/signed the guy I liked better. 

If you thought this pre draft, much respect to you.  What I struggle with I don’t like the “tools” type qb who get drafted so high (I get it later in the draft).  Every qb is a risk but most of the potential guys will never become consistent in the nfl.  We are banking on Allen being player in the afc east than the MWC.

i wish I could fake it more.  Allen has a great attitude, loves being a Bill, and people I know have meant him say he’s a good dude.  I’m just skeptical.  And while Darnold got overrated in college, I’ve also seen him light it up in the Rose Bowl and several big games. 

But as others have pointed out, their first game is going to be a great tell of how this season should go.  If we still a W in NJ,  that would be huge. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SoTier said:

Well, maybe the Bills should have hired their own "QB whisperer" rather than a guy from the Dick Jauron/John Fox/Jeff Fisher play not to lose coaching frat.

Easier said than done. We couldn't even get Bill Cowher or Jon Gruden to come here despite the fact that we were offering them a stake in ownership. ?

37 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Sorry you feel that way.  Many members have had fun predicting which of the two teams will have a better record in 2019

Again You missed the meaning in the sarcasm.  

99.999 % of us will say Buffalo is better.   Hence ...... silly / stupid question 

33 minutes ago, Doc said:

What he did in college means nothing in the pros.  As for 52%, Darnold was 57% with a better OL and WR's and being the starter all throughout the off-season and training camp.  I wouldn't be in a position to laugh at Allen.

I was looking for a place to put this ....  so why not here 

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/camp-countdown-no-2-three-reasons-why-josh-allen-s-game-will-take-a-big-leap-for

1. Improved accuracy

One of the biggest knocks on Josh Allen’s game as a rookie was his passing accuracy. His completion percentage of just over 52 percent in 2018 didn’t do much to quiet the naysayers. However, during spring practices there was clear improvement in Josh Allen’s ball location.

“Ball placement is huge, especially in this league,” said Allen. “The type of concepts that we have, trying to get the ball to our playmakers where that can make some plays. That was a huge emphasis, we’re still working it. That is something that will never change, you always want to try to work on ball placement. Every day you come out, it’s kind of a new thing and sometimes the ball comes out of your hand a little bit differently. You have to make adjustments and understand what your body is trying to tell you and try to go with it.”

On the whole, Allen’s ball location was significantly better than where it was last season during OTAs and minicamp. He was not only hitting receiving targets in stride, so they could make plays after the catch, but he was also putting the ball on a receiver’s proper shoulder.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, davspo said:

It better be the Bills or McDermott and company are in trouble.  This is the 3rd year, excuses should be getting more difficult to come by.  

Excuses should be hard to come by, but I guarantee you that if the Bills suck again, the McDermott-Beane worshippers will have a semi-truck full of them.  They've convinced themselves that the "cause" of the Bills last twenty years of mediocrity is a) not hiring a GM/HC with "a plan" and b) not allowing that plan enough time to "develop" even if it shows no signs of progress.  

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Excuses should be hard to come by, but I guarantee you that if the Bills suck again, the McDermott-Beane worshippers will have a semi-truck full of them.  They've convinced themselves that the "cause" of the Bills last twenty years of mediocrity is a) not hiring a GM/HC with "a plan" and b) not allowing that plan enough time to "develop" even if it shows no signs of progress.  

If the Bills suck because of a slew of injuries, they get some leeway.  If they suck and not because of a slew of injuries, they get roasted, rightfully.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Easier said than done. We couldn't even get Bill Cowher or Jon Gruden to come here despite the fact that we were offering them a stake in ownership. ?

Other teams manage to find them ... the Eagles, the Colts, the Rams, the Bears ...  Hell, the Chargers hired former Bills assistant and interim HC Anthony Lynn whom the Bills inteviewed but rejected for McDermott.

10 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Again You missed the meaning in the sarcasm.  

99.999 % of us will say Buffalo is better.   Hence ...... silly / stupid question 

I was looking for a place to put this ....  so why not here 

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/camp-countdown-no-2-three-reasons-why-josh-allen-s-game-will-take-a-big-leap-for

1. Improved accuracy

One of the biggest knocks on Josh Allen’s game as a rookie was his passing accuracy. His completion percentage of just over 52 percent in 2018 didn’t do much to quiet the naysayers. However, during spring practices there was clear improvement in Josh Allen’s ball location.

“Ball placement is huge, especially in this league,” said Allen. “The type of concepts that we have, trying to get the ball to our playmakers where that can make some plays. That was a huge emphasis, we’re still working it. That is something that will never change, you always want to try to work on ball placement. Every day you come out, it’s kind of a new thing and sometimes the ball comes out of your hand a little bit differently. You have to make adjustments and understand what your body is trying to tell you and try to go with it.”

On the whole, Allen’s ball location was significantly better than where it was last season during OTAs and minicamp. He was not only hitting receiving targets in stride, so they could make plays after the catch, but he was also putting the ball on a receiver’s proper shoulder.

I suppose doing well in shorts and tshirts is better than stinking it up, but as Nathan Peterman demonstrated, doing well in practice means squat.  Performing in games is what matters, and Allen has to prove that he can do that in the chaos of game time.  It's easier said than done.

5 minutes ago, SoTier said:

LOL

McDermott is a better HC than Mularkey, Williams, Jauron, Marrone, Ryan, and Gailey combined.

Just now, SoTier said:

I suppose doing well in shorts and tshirts is better than stinking it up, but as Nathan Peterman demonstrated, doing well in practice means squat.  Performing in games is what matters, and Allen has to prove that he can do that in the chaos of game time.  It's easier said than done.

meaningless or not ....  you can still tell certain things in camp.  Otherwise why bother?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

You can't try and stretch the fabric of reality, they didn't have to do anything but they did. Also, Mahomes was considered a project QB coming out just like Allen.

Mahomes also has 5,000 yards and 53 tds his last year.  While being good in college doesn’t guarantee anything, personally, I like the guys who dominated rather than the guys who you have to project on the nfl level.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I was listening to One Bills Live that had an interview with Greg Cosell Of NFL Films.  He starts by evaluating Josh Allen’s film and Greg makes it sound like he’s a long way from being a good QB.

But the more interesting question came when Good Ol’ John Murphy asked Greg point blank - Who is better, The Jets or the Bills?  Ironically Greg danced around the question and wouldn’t answer it.  He said it hard to say and think the Jets could have the better offense and the Bills could have the better defense.  He thinks that the Bills have the edge in coaching considering but that Gase is a highly respect offensive mind.  He questions the Bills OL considering they could have 4 new starters.  

But I’ll throw this question out - who do you think will be better:  The Bills or The Jets?

https://www.buffalobills.com/audio/obl-7-19-bleacher-report-s-tyler-dunne-co-hosts-bills-2019-season-preview-with-g

Bills I think are better but the opener isn’t going to be easy 

9 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

LOL

McDermott is a better HC than Mularkey, Williams, Jauron, Marrone, Ryan, and Gailey combined.

Get back to me when McDermott actually proves he's better than Mularkey or Marrone, both of whom have won playoff games.

14 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Get back to me when McDermott actually proves he's better than Mularkey or Marrone, both of whom have won playoff games.

I mean I hope McDermott is better than those guys but some fans are way too quick to anoint this regime.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Why would a Bills fan bet this?  I think what happens here is if you express any doubt over the Bills, you must hate the team.  I think we overrate our team (understandable) and underrate other teams (people were laughing at Miami preseason the year they made the playoffs).  I think this teams are dead even and how each qb progresses will show who will make the “leap.”  But to dismiss the Jets is silly ImO. 

I wanted to put (a little) money where my mouth is. And ScottLaw took the bet too. 

I contend that the Bills are a better overall team at this point- players and coaches together

20 minutes ago, SoTier said:

With some luck,  smoke and mirrors.

Mularkey ... The Titans ?  Was that on a blown / controversial call where Mariota scored the winning TD late in the game?

Marrone ... The JagUars?  The 10-3 victory over the Turod led Buffalo Bills?

Better on Paper does not mean better on the field 

32 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Roster quality comparisons first, please! I feel like I'm not stepping out on a limb to say that both Mularkey/Marrone under-performed given what they had to work with from top to bottom on the roster. Will never forget that 2004 team dud against the 3rd string Stillers with all the playoff marbles on the line, there for the taking... 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Roster quality comparisons first, please! I feel like I'm not stepping out on a limb to say that both Mularkey/Marrone under-performed given what they had to work with from top to bottom on the roster. Will never forget that 2004 team dud against the 3rd string Stillers with all the playoff marbles on the line, there for the taking... 

Ah the headlines back then ... 

Buffalo Bills: Winning 6 games in a row.

Buffalo Bills: The Hottest team in the league 

Buffalo Bills: The team no one wanted to face 

:censored: :death: 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Marrone underperformed as HC here? 

He had EJ Manual and Kyle Orton as his options at QB. They went 9-7 with that combo in 2014. What did you expect? 

As for that 2004 game against the Steelers, I blame Bledsoe just as much as Mularkey. Guy was awful that game as was often the case with him in big games.

Either of which would have been upgrades over a 2018 starting Peterman or washed-up DA, no?

Orton flashed at times, and I would argue that for a starter during the "drought" years, he was one of the better ones (relatively speaking), certainly in the tier right below Bledsoe (again, drought years only). Take a look at his 2014 year in Buffalo. His rating of 87.8 is actually higher than Bledsoe's was here, any year, as well as completion %.  Both of them threw for more TD"s and yards than Tyrod managed in 2017, while having ratings/completion % in the same ballpark. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/OrtoKy00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BledDr00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TaylTy00.htm

Point being, McDermott consistently seems to get the most out of his available talent, what little he had offensively last year, and maximizing what he had in 2017, while the 2 other coaches mentioned have already flamed out as failures here in Buffalo with just as much if not more quality available. Marrone's 2014 Waterloo being the Raiders game that the Bills absolutely had to have, only to pull a team dud against a then-rookie David Carr:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/21/bills-eliminated-from-playoff-contention-with-loss-at-oakland/

This year however, is different. The Bills have significantly upgraded at multiple positions of need, and Allen is the franchise who's been missing for so long. If this year is a flop, I'd be more inclined to your point of view. But I think we have a good thing going right now.  

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Point being, McDermott consistently seems to get the most out of his available talent, what little he had offensively last year, and maximizing what he had in 2017, while the 2 other coaches mentioned have already flamed out as failures here in Buffalo with just as much if not more quality available. This year however, is different. The Bills have significantly upgraded at multiple positions of need, and Allen is the franchise who's been missing for so long. If this year is a flop, I'd be more inclined to your point of view. But I think we have a good thing going right now

flamed out as failures in Buffalo

AND 

flamed out as failure in Tenny  

AND

A soon to be flamed out as a failure in Jax 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Now for my takes 

Darnold = Allen at best. Allen brings more athleticism and well much higher ceiling 

Bell slightly better than McCoy (sorry you not anyone know what Bell will look like after getting paid and sitting out of football a year)

Anderson < Foster and Zay and Brown 

Enunwa = Zay and or Brown (how is his Neck doing?)

Crowder < Beasley 

He plays in a much bigger market. Other than that Josh really had better all around play than Darnold 

Based on what I've seen so far I think Darnold is going to be better than Allen, and for that reason I'm voting for the Jets.  But I'm a Jets fan so take it with a grain of salt.?

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They went 9-7 that year. How is that underachieving with a mediocre at best group of QBs? 

McDermott went 6-10 with DA, Allen and his boy Peterman. 

Marrone was a unique situation. IIRC He wanted an extension and more power within the organization, Pegula denied him and he decided to leave. 

I wouldn't call him a success but he was hardly a failure. That 2014 team was probably the best team they've had since the 99 Bills and better than the McDermott led Bills of 2017, IMO.

When looking at McD's 6 and 10 season I think it is important to remember that our OL was SO BAD that we literally were wondering WHEN not IF quarterbacks were going to get injuried....

And injured they were.....all except for Peterman who was just aweful.

I have high hopes for this years OL that they wont suck....which also means we might have a running game as well

This will factor into wins and losses

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah that part confused me the Bills Line was terrible last year so they made major changes. From what I remember the Jets line was also bad last year and they didn't change a whole lot so how are they in a better position there.

He traded for Osemele and that's all.  And that's why Mac got fired.  Which he richly deserved.