Who Will Be Better in 2019 - The Bills or The Jets

4 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Beyond the Petetman failure the next biggest mistake was keeping Derek Anderson as the #2.   

Sure, no one was thrilled with Barkley, but he put DA to shame.  Maybe just maybe those 2 games could have made a difference in the WC hunt. 

there was definitely weird mismanagement at the qb position, but moving forward that only thing that matters is allen's development.  i really don't know if this staff can pull it together, but i feel far more confident in them than i have with past coaches, (rex, chan, jauron, etc).

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, teef said:

i understand that some choose to be outraged by last year, and let's face it...it didn't go well.  i was expecting that and was willing to put up with it in hopes that this year it finally comes together.  the record with mcd last year isn't a good measure as who he is as a coach for me.  this is the year i think we'll really know who we have.  if there's no significant progress this season, we're likely screwed.

McDermott is not a good game day, decision making coach.  Maybe he's good with the culture stuff, but that's not going to win SB's.  Levy was also not the best game day decision making coach. Had ridiculous HOF talent all over the field and still couldn't get it done.  Some kind of Buffalo coaching curse maybe. 

McDermott passed on Mahomes and had to trade a bunch of assets for a 50% passer the following draft, that's a bad deal and speaks to his lack of talent evaluation prowess.

I expect a typical cap era Buffalo Bills season ~6 to 8 wins and one more season of McBeane in 2020.

EDIT: Also Nathan Peterman...  Any coach who thinks that was a good idea can't be a very good HC.

Edited by MacGyver
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think both these teams have improved since last season and that they are very similar in most respects. Each team has question marks that will unfold as the season goes along. Coaching I'd give the edge to McD over Gase. Overall I think injuries will be the primary determining factor separating the two teams final record. 

14 hours ago, Big C said:

I really don't know what people saw in Darnold last year that makes them think he's so far ahead of Allen.

Agreed. I think both of them will be studs, but I dont see Darnold as soooo much  better right now that its not even close. Some pre-draft bias would be my guess

This is an excellent first test.  This will tell us a lot, not all, but a lot.  One of these teams needs to step up in the east and we'll see who it is early on.

The good thing is there's a lot of pressure on the Jets for this game.  Look at their next 5:

• Browns
  • Pats
  • Eagles
  • Cowboys
  • Pats

They get themselves too much into a hole early on.

9 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

McDermott is not a good game day, decision making coach.  Maybe he's good with the culture stuff, but that's not going to win SB's.  Levy was also not the best game day decision making coach. Had ridiculous HOF talent all over the field and still couldn't get it done.  Some kind of Buffalo coaching curse maybe. 

McDermott passed on Mahomes and had to trade a bunch of assets for a 50% passer the following draft, that's a bad deal and speaks to his lack of talent evaluation prowess.

I expect a typical cap era Buffalo Bills season ~6 to 8 wins and one more season of McBeane in 2020.

Tre White?  Matt Milano?  Dion Dawkins?  I don't think selecting three starters in his first draft helps your argument.

As for McD on game day I'd say that's a work in progress, but I would hope you're not presuming a HC can't improve in this area.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Your threads make no sense at this time of year. It’s like asking who is a worse poster, Phil the Thrill or Billy White Shows. It’s all conjecture at this point. Please stop.

Wow....Thanks for such a professional comment.  Your feedback is very much appreciated.

I’m sorry that you didn’t like the topic of the thread but based on the engagement, other members apparently disagree and have enjoyed discussing this hypothetical question.

Also Im going to politely to ask you to stop with the insults and please follow the guidelines for professional conduct set by the moderators of this forum.

Thank you and have a blessed day 

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Captain Hindsight said:

Eh I would put him in the decent category. He's like Andy Dalton. Can win with him, can lose with him. He wont be the reason either way

I put him in the Tyrod Taylor category. I would take Dalton above him every day. Dalton is a good game manager. Tannehill and Tyrod..... meh. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Beyond the Petetman failure the next biggest mistake was keeping Derek Anderson as the #2.   

Sure, no one was thrilled with Barkley, but he put DA to shame.  Maybe just maybe those 2 games could have made a difference in the WC hunt. 

Well considering we didnt sign Barkley until after DA was hurt, that would have been difficult.

IIRC Barkley was hurt early last year before we had the opportunity to sign him

12 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

EDIT: Also Nathan Peterman...  Any coach who thinks that was a good idea can't be a very good HC.

you literally refuse to respond to any of my comments towards you t-bomb, and now you do?  timing is a little weird, but i appreciate it.

you could be right with all of this, but in your typical fashion, i think you're trying far to hard to emphasize any possible negative points while ignoring any gains.  do you think this staff has done anything right?

17 minutes ago, teef said:

there was definitely weird mismanagement at the qb position, but moving forward that only thing that matters is allen's development.  i really don't know if this staff can pull it together, but i feel far more confident in them than i have with past coaches, (rex, chan, jauron, etc).

damn straight

when was the last time we had a reasoned 3rd year coach going into a season with (what we all assume is) a young 2nd season QB with confidence and talent to lead the team?

its been a long long time 

2 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Wow....Thanks for such a professional comment.  Your feedback is very much appreciated.

I’m sorry that you didn’t like the topic of the thread but based on the engagement, other members apparently disagree and have enjoyed discussing this hypothetical question.

Also Im going to politely to ask you to stop with the insults and please follow the guidelines for professional conduct set by the moderators of this forum.

Thank you and have a blessed day 

Oh 

My 

Goodness

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I put him in the Tyrod Taylor category. I would take Dalton above him every day. Dalton is a good game manager. Tannehill and Tyrod..... meh. 

Thats fair. I guess it just depends on definition of decent. 

When I think Decent, i think flashes of good but overall meh

43 minutes ago, teef said:

i understand that some choose to be outraged by last year, and let's face it...it didn't go well.  i was expecting that and was willing to put up with it in hopes that this year it finally comes together.  the record with mcd last year isn't a good measure as who he is as a coach for me.  this is the year i think we'll really know who we have.  if there's no significant progress this season, we're likely screwed.

I have never been able to wrap my head around the idea that people last year thought we were on course for a different result. The plan (even from year one) just seemed so obvious to me. 

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I have never been able to wrap my head around the idea that people last year thought we were on course for a different result. The plan (even from year one) just seemed so obvious to me. 

agreed.  again, i'm not over looking the mistakes that happened in 2018, but this year is the results year.  even though i'm expecting improvement this year, i still don't think they'll be a final product yet, an that's ok as long as we see a marked improvement at the qb position and real competition towards a wild card spot.

15 minutes ago, teef said:

you literally refuse to respond to any of my comments towards you t-bomb, and now you do?  timing is a little weird, but i appreciate it.

you could be right with all of this, but in your typical fashion, i think you're trying far to hard to emphasize any possible negative points while ignoring any gains.  do you think this staff has done anything right?

Yes, they have done some things right, but things that in the end won't matter all that much.

Passing on Mahomes, picking a 50% passer instead, thinking Peterman was a good idea.

We all know that QB is pretty much all that matters in this league and they have shown gross ineptitude concerning that position.

And I also only respond to comments I care about, sorry I don't care about the vast majority of your comments.

Edited by MacGyver

oye with the we could have had Mahomes.

Hell We could of had Tom Brady  before the 6th round or D Watson

Hell, if you want to play who could have

The Houston Texans drafted Watson in the first round (12th overall) of the 2017 NFL Draft, in which the  Texans acquired the pick from the Cleveland Browns!!!

How good were the Browns at the end of 2016?   O four??  or 1 for? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Mahomes would not have looked good here, I'm sorry. He literally landed in an offense with numerous weapons, a very good QB to mentor him along with Andy Reid who is one of the best in the business, all around just a golden situation to be in. Allen had none of this structure, his supporting cast was sketchy at best. For all we know Allen can be a TD machine in 2019. It's too early to kick ourselves over Mahomes. Kansas City may never win a Super Bowl in typical Andy Reid fashion while Allen goes on to bring us multiple Lombardi's.

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Based on my "limited knowledge"  I like Allen much better than I do Darnold.

I like Allen better, too, but only because I have never liked Darnold.  Darnold reminds me of other over-hyped USC QBs like Sanchez and Leinart.   He does have better passing skills at present than Allen, so it's possible that he might put up better stats as a sophomore.   Allen has a longer way to go mechanically but I think if he can learn to make better decisions, he can have a better long term NFL career.

1 hour ago, teef said:

This.  I have a set of criteria that I would consider indicate significant progress this season: (without significant injuries, especially to Allen)

• 8 wins with fewer losses by 2+ TDs (they had 5 in 2018) ;
  • Allen showing significant improvement as a passer, especially in his decision making;
  • the defense improving both their run and Red Zone defense.

You can do better than that Gunner.  (Well, I guess not living here may be why you missed these) 

How do they fair in Tampa and Jacksonville?  

Nashville is as oppressive with humidity as South Florida? 

Early September in DC and Baltimore and Philly can all get oppressive with humidity.

Gunner is pretty dead on about the Patriots' problems with the Fins.  For whatever reason, it seems that the Patriots are most likely to have a collective brain fart and lose to the Carp, especially in Miami, than to any other team.  Fifteen years ago, the Pats came storming into Miami after Wannstadt was fired and lost 29-28 on a last minute TD from AJ Feeley to Derrius Thomas.

The mistake wasn't keeping Anderson, it was signing him at all -- and waiting almost a month to do it.  They should have signed Barkley immediately after the season opener.   They likely would have won the Houston game with Barkley but they lost all chance when Peterman threw his patented pick six.

Edited by SoTier