Ledecky Lost

plenzmd1

I know prolly  most folks only follow swimming in Olympic years, but this was a true shocker yesterday at Worlds. It was an interesting race..Titmus leading the first 200, Ladecky taking the lead at 300, almost 3/4 body length lead at 350 for Ledecky..and 30 meters out she just collapsed. Stunning to see from her. She came back today to be seeded first in the 1500, and i cant see anyone touching her in that event..but almost 20 seconds off her WR. The way she looked yesterday, she may be hard pressed to final in the 200. BTW, massive props to her for swimming the 200..not her greatest event and she still keeps going at it.

Thing to remember is it is a non Olympic year, and training schedules and other things in life can sometimes just lead to a bad meet...but she just looks tired....and if you lose the love to train in swimming , you cooked!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2019/07/21/katie-ledecky-upset-world-swimming-championships-400-meters/1790333001/

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

I know prolly  most folks only follow swimming in Olympic years, but this was a true shocker yesterday at Worlds. It was an interesting race..Titmus leading the first 200, Ladecky taking the lead at 300, almost 3/4 body length lead at 350 for Ledecky..and 30 meters out she just collapsed. Stunning to see from her. She came back today to be seeded first in the 1500, and i cant see anyone touching her in that event..but almost 20 seconds off her WR. The way she looked yesterday, she may be hard pressed to final in the 200. BTW, massive props to her for swimming the 200..not her greatest event and she still keeps going at it.

Thing to remember is it is a non Olympic year, and training schedules and other things in life can sometimes just lead to a bad meet...but she just looks tired....and if you lose the love to train in swimming , you cooked!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2019/07/21/katie-ledecky-upset-world-swimming-championships-400-meters/1790333001/

Could have simply been a bad day.   The competition at the top in any sport is truly amazing.   It doesn't take much to slip a bit.  Makes dominating a sport even more amazing.

Was this being televised?

2 hours ago, Greybeard said:

Could have simply been a bad day.   The competition at the top in any sport is truly amazing.   It doesn't take much to slip a bit.  Makes dominating a sport even more amazing.

Was this being televised?

here is the TV/streaming schedule...hmm something in there called bach water polo..i have no clue WTF that is..

https://swimswam.com/full-television-live-stream-schedule-for-2019-world-championships-in-the-usa/

More than a bad day for Ledecky, her times say that. Not saying she won't bounce back before next year, but she is really far off her best times..whats shocking is you are right, usually not a huge gap between competitors at the top of th sport..but she was so dominating any time she loses in the 400, 800, or 1500 it is a shock.

The 200 now, she took that event on i think to challenge herself, which is just awesome and shows the kind of competitor she is!

57 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

How is Ryan Lochte doing?

been suspended for a while, suspension ends i believe this month. Not the sharpest tool in the shed, i can see him trying to continue to make the US team..prolly has no other prospects!

Chinese swimmer who is juicing like a MOFO, already been suspended once, but FINA might be more corrupt than FIFA if that is possible, and with Worlds in that part of the world(south Korea) no way was he get suspended for this meet...conveniently his hearing is in September..and he won the 400 already.

Edited by plenzmd1

I hope she is well and bounces back. I’m ashamed to say I hope even more that none of us ever have to see @plenzmd1 in a speedo. He was a water demon back in the day, but now........? I’m guessing a better house keeper for a band of frat boys, helping them find their way. One more way to make the world a better place!  

8 hours ago, Mr Info said:

It appears she may be sick

https://apple.news/AFk7PnIYoTaOldGxWt07rFA

that makes sense..i have never seen her hit a wall like the other day.

of note for the entire American team..it was picked last summer so training this year could be focused on the Olympics next year..so while prolly rested a bit, not at peak performance area right now.

9 hours ago, Augie said:

I hope she is well and bounces back. I’m ashamed to say I hope even more that none of us ever have to see @plenzmd1 in a speedo. He was a water demon back in the day, but now........? I’m guessing a better house keeper for a band of frat boys, helping them find their way. One more way to make the world a better place!  

@plenzmd1is religiously devout who likes to exhibit his bulging package on the beach while he seeks to convert people to his unique brand of thinking. 

https://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/fat-people-in-speedos/213876/

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

@plenzmd1is religiously devout who likes to exhibit his bulging package on the beach while he seeks to convert people to his unique brand of thinking. 

https://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/fat-people-in-speedos/213876/

I didn’t want to click, I really didn’t......but it was like a car wreck and I just had to look. Now I can’t un-see that! 

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I didn’t want to click, I really didn’t......but it was like a car wreck and I just had to look. Now I can’t un-see that! 

Let me help you to heal. Focus on the cross and not the bulging package. :)

I think I was watching some of the racing the OP is talking about; at least something from the same meet.

It was on the relatively new Olympic channel; I was noting that a bunch of the male swimmers prior to their race were absolute beasts.

They all look like big, tall guys, slender with like zero body fat, tons of muscle bulk and definition, and gigantic wingspans.

Not to mention they have been the fastest swimmer in their age group for their whole lives growing up.

I can't imagine jumping in a pool with those guys and trying to race them.

I would suggest they would make the first lap and turn around before I made it half way down the pool.  Maybe worse than that.

:lol: