Duke Williams- can he make the team?

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I honestly don’t buy the argument that he’ll start making plays once the pad comes on. To me it doesn’t make much sense. 

Nor me. Players who make plays in shorts don't always make plays in pads. But players who don't make plays in shorts almost never suddenly make plays when the pads go on. 

48 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I think people are just making excuses hoping for something good to happen with him. Good WRs can still get open and make plays even without pads.

That's true But the ?converse? isn't? 

WR who can get open and make plays without pads, aren't always good wide receivers under more game-realistic conditions

Once the pads go on, it's more of a challenge to release off the line, and the bump-and-run gets more aggressive, some WR who run very pretty routes in practice without pads start getting pushed off their route or having their timing messed or getting jammed at the line.

So a depth chart that has a bunch of small, fast WR ahead of a bigger, slower but more physical WR can reorient.

Now I grant you, that will seldom impact the top 3 or 4 WR on a team, but when we're talking about who will be the 5th or 6th man, it can.

In modern day NFL short area quickness is more important than size for a WR.  Williams is the longest of long shots.  Sills seems to have a leg up on him for the tall catch radius guy.  Pre season could change things but the look of the passing game last lends me to believe speed and quickness is king.

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I think people are just making excuses hoping for something good to happen with him. Good WRs can still get open and make plays even without pads.

Is there a knock on Duke being able to get open? I don't believe that is an issue. And while he is big, and physical, I don't believe the term "lumbering," which some have used, is accurate, either. 

38 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

In modern day NFL short area quickness is more important than size for a WR.  Williams is the longest of long shots.  Sills seems to have a leg up on him for the tall catch radius guy.  Pre season could change things but the look of the passing game last lends me to believe speed and quickness is king.

Just wondering why you think Sill has a leg up on him.  (not saying you're wrong.)  I haven't heard many positive TC reports about Sills.

9 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

Just wondering why you think Sill has a leg up on him.  (not saying you're wrong.)  I haven't heard many positive TC reports about Sills.

Seen nothing, heard nothing.  The whole story of everyone in the organization talking him into signing with them post draft makes me believe they are high on him.

11 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Seen nothing, heard nothing.  The whole story of everyone in the organization talking him into signing with them post draft makes me believe they are high on him.

They hyped it up a little more for the embedded series. I think if they thought as highly as everyone thinks we seem to be on him we would have used our last draft pick on him rather than a second te. I think Sills is in the running like every other wr on the bottom of the roster for that spot but I highly highly doubt he has a heads up over Williams or any of the other guys. Honestly I think Williams and Sills are on the outside looking in right now. This is due to Ray Ray showing up much improved over the offseason and Cam Phillips seems like he is having a decent training camp so far from what I've read. 

• Like (+1) 1