Duke Williams- can he make the team?

On 7/22/2019 at 8:37 AM, ToddAllan said:

So you're saying that he's the anti-Kelvin Benjamin?! lol

Seriously, though, I hope he shows enough to make the team. I think Josh Allen needs some height in his receiver corps. If he can make plays on special teams, then he makes the squad, IMO. Coach M is all about versatility.

There was a media piece with McDermott (I think - could have been Beane) talking about how people misunderstand catch radius

That people think catch radius means a Kelvin Benjamin (with a 8' reach and a 6'5" wingspan) but we see with Brown - where he was able to turn around and make an adjustment on a long ball - that's also catch radius.

He didn't say, but could have, that being willing and able to lay out for a ball as Beasley and Brown both have, is also catch radius.  So far, the guys looking most likely to add "catch radius" at the 6th WR spot are McCloud and McKensie. 

But training camp is young yet, and pads have only been on a couple days. 

Surely if he can make plays on ST it would increase Williams odds of making the team.

On 7/21/2019 at 9:40 PM, Ol Dirty B said:

Probably not. We've already been through this with Da'Rick who was a better prospect imo.

I don’t know about that, it seemed that DaRick was a bit of a slack ass from what I’ve read. Duke does appear to have his head on straight by comparison, imo.

Go Bills!!!

Seems doubtful. The running start you can get in the CFL is a huge difference compared to the NFL. He likely has no technique to separate quickly. He would really only be useful in jump-ball scenarios and even then id worry about his spacial awareness cause the end zones are so much deeper in the CFL.

After thoroughly scouting a 5-min highlight reel, I thought Duke would be our 5th receiver. Unfortunately, he hasn’t made many headlines so far, so I have to admit that he feels like a long shot now to make the roster. He could hang on to the practice squad, it’s probably between him and Sills for that spot. 

I may also have to accept that my scouting methods have let me down. Next year, no less than 7-min highlight reels before forming an opinion. ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

He has a tough hill to climb.    He's got a little bit of a learning curve as the CFL WR game is different than the NFL one is. Being large and physical is one of his better talents and that won't show at the beginning of camp.   There's ALWAYS receivers who look good over summer and at the beginning of camp but quickly fade once the pads come on and the rough, physical part of the NFL game starts.   That's when you see others start to shine.   We'll see if he'll do the same, he still has a legitimate chance. 

Like many of us, I root for people who've turned their life around through recognition of faults and with hard work.  The ole' prodigal son thing, I guess.

Duke is certainly helped by the fact that there are no longer "graduated" cutdowns of NFL rosters during the preseason...it's all one big cut following the last preseason game.  He'll need to show in those contests that he's the guy who is "open even when covered" and let his physicality show in a way it can't during TC practices.  It's guys like this for whom preseason is so important.

49 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

He has his shot. Up to him now. 

Yeah and one big thing for people to keep in mind.  When playing in shorts and limited contact, speedy guys have a real advantage and can shine and so can JAG's.  Guys like Duke where speed is not the core of their game wont stand out as much during this time.  His real shot is coming now with pads going on and live game action on the horizon.  A big part of what makes Duke intriguing is the physical parts of his game, being open when not really open, high pointing balls, out muscling guys at LOS, etc.  While guys like Ray Ray have stood out early, its also the easiest time for them to stand out.  I like the positive news on Ray Ray, but after what we saw on the field last year, all optimism needs to be very cautious with him until he can show he can do these things when the bullets are really flying.  

Duke hasn't had any bad days that I recall reading, but had a few good moments.  More just not having a lot of opportunities yet to do what he does best.  And Beane even said this directly in an off season interview that he felt Duke was going to start to stand out when things got real and physical because its a part of his game.  

Lastly, I firmly believe the WR (and OL) rotation has been limited while in with Josh to help get Josh comfortable with some consistent groups to help start camp strong.  I think once camp ends and practices begin for the preseason games we will start to see a little more rotation through the first couple of weeks of the preseason.  But that also means, guys like Duke will have less chances to shine, so its going to be imperative they make the most of them when they are there or they will quickly start to lose ground and reps making the odds of making the final roster very low.  

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah and one big thing for people to keep in mind.  When playing in shorts and limited contact, speedy guys have a real advantage and can shine and so can JAG's.  Guys like Duke where speed is not the core of their game wont stand out as much during this time.  His real shot is coming now with pads going on and live game action on the horizon.  A big part of what makes Duke intriguing is the physical parts of his game, being open when not really open, high pointing balls, out muscling guys at LOS, etc.  While guys like Ray Ray have stood out early, its also the easiest time for them to stand out.  I like the positive news on Ray Ray, but after what we saw on the field last year, all optimism needs to be very cautious with him until he can show he can do these things when the bullets are really flying.  

Duke hasn't had any bad days that I recall reading, but had a few good moments.  More just not having a lot of opportunities yet to do what he does best.  And Beane even said this directly in an off season interview that he felt Duke was going to start to stand out when things got real and physical because its a part of his game.  

Lastly, I firmly believe the WR (and OL) rotation has been limited while in with Josh to help get Josh comfortable with some consistent groups to help start camp strong.  I think once camp ends and practices begin for the preseason games we will start to see a little more rotation through the first couple of weeks of the preseason.  But that also means, guys like Duke will have less chances to shine, so its going to be imperative they make the most of them when they are there or they will quickly start to lose ground and reps making the odds of making the final roster very low.  

I honestly don’t buy the argument that he’ll start making plays once the pad comes on. To me it doesn’t make much sense. 

6 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I honestly don’t buy the argument that he’ll start making plays once the pad comes on. To me it doesn’t make much sense. 

To be clear, I am not saying he for sure will.  But part of what he is good at has not been able to be utilized yet, so seems pretty reasonable he has a better chance to stand out when he using his full toolbox of skills.  Beane literally said this same thing when asked about Duke after the draft came and went and they didn't take a WR.  But at the end of the day, he still has to do go out there and show he can play in this league in the chances he gets.  

Lets say you are a golfer and your driver and long game was a big strength in your game, but you were only playing on par 3 courses.  You are not going to be at your best yet because your best tool is not yet usable.  But once you get onto the full course and can you that driver and other woods you could start to level the playing field.  Of course, it still fully depends on you utilizing those longer clubs and playing well, but it would be reasonable to expect you would stand a better chance when you can use the full repertoire of your skill set.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lets say you are a golfer and your driver and long game was a big strength in your game, but you were only playing on par 3 courses.  You are not going to be at your best yet because your best tool is not yet usable.  But once you get onto the full course and can you that driver and other woods you could start to level the playing field.  Of course, it still fully depends on you utilizing those longer clubs and playing well, but it would be reasonable to expect you would stand a better chance when you can use the full repertoire of your skill set.  

Probably not your best analogy. Sounds like you’re describing crap golfer.