Duke Williams- can he make the team?

9 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I believe that if the Bills don't put Wade on the 53-man roster, he will be an additional spot on the PS, and be able to practice with the 53, but will not be allowed to be called up to the 53 from the PS for the entire season. I'm not sure if other teams are allowed to sign them off our PS, or not. But, I'm pretty sure we don't get a 54th spot on our roster for him.

Are they worse than division 1 college CBs?

Be that as it may, Duke's career path is a pretty interesting story.

Watch some CFL and dial in on the corners- it is pretty bad. Yes, Duke has certainly taken a non-traditional route to the NFL. I want him to succeed but it isnt going to be easy for him. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, JK Fan said:

I say Williams makes the team.  I suggest Williams is better than McKenzie and the only reason Roberts makes the team is for kick returns.

I agree with you ! 

I also would add that we could use his size in the end zone , but will he make the team if he can’t play ST ? And the most important (IMO) he has to show that he can get separation , 

14 hours ago, ColeB said:

I know the signing of Duke Williams was low key despite his great season in the CFL, but seeing his highlights and his size, I thought he was an intriguing addition to a mediocre wide receiver group.  However, after the additions of John Brown and Cole Beasley, we didn’t hear much about Duke in the OTAs and minicamp.

Now, all the pre-training camp articles mention Foster, Jones, Brown & Beasley but not Duke.  Could he be a diamond in the rough?  At the age of 26, he should be in his prime.

How can he be in his prime if he's never played in the league?

10 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The problem with everything you mention is how's that translate to going up against NFL competition?  Sure he can high point the ball, but now the CB's are bigger and faster and may just step in front of him. How will it match up, will find out soon enough.

How does five-star talent translate to the NFL?  How does being a good starting receiver in the SEC translate to the NFL?  

The guy has had success everywhere he's gone.  He has size, decent speed, outstanding hands and, now, maturity.  That's the kind 6

of resume that translates very well.  

U agree with Hapless abou McKenzie.  He never has looked like a guy who is going to win a job as a receiver. Special teams and gadget plays, sure, but not a starting receiver. 

14 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

I like the guy. But as a matter of numbers, I just can't see it at this point. His skill set is different than what we have, but I think Zay is trying to bulk up and assume that role. And we are more vested in him than we are Duke. Top 6 would be Zay, Foster, Beasley, Brown,McKenzie, and Roberts by default because of his ST prowess. Unless they cut a RB, there is no room for a 7th WR. Just my opinion tho. I'd rather cut Gore for Duke personally and keep Yeldon

I think that Duke, Mckenzie, Ray Ray, Croom, Towbridge, and Sweeney are all fighting for two spots. i think the Bills will keep which ever two they feel they can use best regardless of position. Basically i think we know 5 WR who are one team and 3 TE who are on team and i expect 10 WR and TE combined.

• Like (+1) 1

Let see here:

Cole Beasley - Makes it

John Brown - Makes it

Robert Foster - Makes it

Zay Jones - Makes it

Andre Roberts - Makes it 

So depending on Keeping 6 or 7 leaves one or two spots for 

Victor Bolden

Nick Easley

Ray Ray McCloud

Isaiah McKenzie

Cam Phillips

Duke WIlliams (TBH, I think goes to PS as a TE Conversion Project similar to Croom was)

Da'Mari Scott

Davis Sills (think goes to PS but the Bills did try to draft him and put a ton of effort in him as a UDFA, based on Embedded) So could have the leg up on grabbing one of the remaining spots.

Edited by MAJBobby

13 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

He’s definitely a different breed than the rest of the receivers. I think he may be a victim of the numbers game here this season though. 

He needs a monster preseason and practices to have a shot. 

One thing is for sure though, if/when him and Sills get cut half this board will go into meltdown about how they’ll take New England or KC or someone to the super bowl 

It is known as Da’syndrome...

After a very famous canton bound WR the Bills once cut. Now the guy nearly caught on with the colts and chiefs, but he’s going to ascend to non CFL greatness any day now. 

15 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Odds are against him.  He will need to show not only he is a WR but can excel on Special Teams

Which i suspect isn’t going to be a strong suit for him. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Watching his CFL highlights, he seems to high-point the ball and fight for the ball as well as any receiver you can name.  Some of that video reminds me of Anquan Bolden.  

He can block, and he likes the contact.  That part of his game reminds me of Hines Ward. 

He's motivated.  

So you're saying that he's the anti-Kelvin Benjamin?! lol

Seriously, though, I hope he shows enough to make the team. I think Josh Allen needs some height in his receiver corps. If he can make plays on special teams, then he makes the squad, IMO. Coach M is all about versatility.

Just now, ToddAllan said:

So you're saying that he's the anti-Kelvin Benjamin?! lol

Seriously, though, I hope he shows enough to make the team. I think Josh Allen needs some height in his receiver corps. If he can make plays on special teams, then he makes the squad, IMO. Coach M is all about versatility.

Robert Foster (will make the Team) 6-2

Zay Jones (Will make the Team) 6-2

David Sills 6-3

Duke Williams 6-3

So based on Bills Roster already will have players similar Height Making the team

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

How can he be in his prime if he's never played in the league?

I think they may mean "physical prime"?

For a guy who has been in the league, would mean he's a vet, he's figured out the system, he knows how to get it done.

I think the two questions for Duke Williams are:

1) will he dedicate himself to learning the playbook thoroughly and will he get/accept good coaching?

2) will he try to play special teams?  from some clips on him, he's got the love of contact that could make him a good ST'er, if he's got the fire for it.  Roberts could be a good mentor for the guy in that regard.

I think folks are right about the fistful of WR fighting for 2 spots, and also that when considering those spots, who is willing to try hard at ST becomes a primary factor.

There's likely one spot available if they keep 6.  Brown, Beasley, Foster , Roberts and Zay appear to be locks.   One spot for the others to fight for and Duke would be in that mix.     

Although not likely, these are the other two scenarios for another open WR spot to be available:

If they think Beasley can handle punt returns and find a combo for kick off returns - it could put Roberts at risk.  That could open up two possible spots if they keep 6 or they could keep 5 and an extra RB to handle some passing responsibilities (Yeldon).   

If they keep 4 RB's and 3 TE's or 3 RB's and 4 TE's.  I would think they'll keep 4 of each - so not likely they do this for a 7th WR.

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

How does five-star talent translate to the NFL?  How does being a good starting receiver in the SEC translate to the NFL?  

The guy has had success everywhere he's gone.  He has size, decent speed, outstanding hands and, now, maturity.  That's the kind 6

of resume that translates very well.  

U agree with Hapless abou McKenzie.  He never has looked like a guy who is going to win a job as a receiver. Special teams and gadget plays, sure, but not a starting receiver. 

Actually no I didn't think much about Mckenzie making the team.

To your point "He's had success everywhere he's gone", then why didn't he go right straight to the NFL.  I'm hoping he works out, but skeptical of a guy who couldn't make the NFL prior.   Sounds like it was mainly around the maturity issue, maybe that has improved, will see.  Everyone sounds mature in shorts and t Shirts. Lets see his maturity level when the hitting starts and playing games..