Duke Williams- can he make the team?

2 hours ago, ColeB said:

I know the signing of Duke Williams was low key despite his great season in the CFL, but seeing his highlights and his size, I thought he was an intriguing addition to a mediocre wide receiver group.  However, after the additions of John Brown and Cole Beasley, we didn’t hear much about Duke in the OTAs and minicamp.

Now, all the pre-training camp articles mention Foster, Jones, Brown & Beasley but not Duke.  Could he be a diamond in the rough?  At the age of 26, he should be in his prime.

I really wanted to like the signing but I think that many Bills fans are overestimating his ability based on his CFL/college highlights.  As you pointed out I think it will be a struggle to make it as the 6th WR on the team.  I’m going to give him about a 20% of making the roster...but we’ll have to see what he does in preseason 

I am going to stay positive about Duke.
Kid turned his thing around, if anyone has really checked into him.
 He seems focused and Bills like him so they will coach him up. he needs TC to feel where he is at , and hopefully preseason.
as in other positions Bills are overstocked (goodthing). i just hope he gets the Coaching he needs to transition to NFL in time to become successful Buffalo Bill.
we have couple that can go to PS i hope. not sure he qualifies

57 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I believe that if the Bills don't put Wade on the 53-man roster, he will be an additional spot on the PS, and be able to practice with the 53, but will not be allowed to be called up to the 53 from the PS for the entire season. I'm not sure if other teams are allowed to sign them off our PS, or not. But, I'm pretty sure we don't get a 54th spot on our roster for him.

You are correct, I am wrong, we don't get a 54th spot for him.  And I don't know whether other teams are allowed to sign him off our PS either.

But I'd still like to hear about what folks see in McKensie that makes him a shoo-in for the 53 to them

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Rugby dude doesn't count against the 53 this year 'cuz special program.  He stays.

Serious question: why is everyone so hot on McKensie?  What does he do that makes him stand out except those jet sweep/reverse type gadget plays?

This is not true if he is on the 53 he counts. He doesn't count on the 90 roster and he doesn't count on the practice squad but if they elevate him to the 53 he counts 

I am just happy that we seem to have a much more competitive situation this year than last year. I suspect next year gets a big step up as well, especially if the draft is strong at WR as is often reported. 

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I think he will make it.  

First, I think he brings raw talent that no one other than Foster has.   He was a four- or five-star recruit coming out of high school, he apparently did very well against SEC competition until he screwed up, and he succeeded in the CFL.   People say "yeah, well, he got a running start in the CFL."   Sure he did, and every other receiver in the league did, too, and he led the league.   I think that the fact that he's been so highly rated and done well wherever he's gone means that he has superior talent.   So he has that going for him. 

Watching his CFL highlights, he seems to high-point the ball and fight for the ball as well as any receiver you can name.  Some of that video reminds me of Anquan Bolden.  

He can block, and he likes the contact.  That part of his game reminds me of Hines Ward. 

He's motivated.  

I think he's just a guy who took some time to grow up, and now he's ready to show what he can do.   My guess is that he will be impressive enough through training camp that the Bills won't be able to risk cutting him and sending him to the practice squad (if he's even eligible for it).   I think he will be good enough that the Bills will decide they have to keep him on the squad.   

And I think as the season progresses, we will see him more and more.  He might be the last receiver to make it, but I don't think he'll be the last receiver at the end of the season.  

The problem with everything you mention is how's that translate to going up against NFL competition?  Sure he can high point the ball, but now the CB's are bigger and faster and may just step in front of him. How will it match up, will find out soon enough.

I'll let you know in September.  Seriously, if the Bills are looking for a variety of skill sets in their WRs, he has an excellent chance.  He's not a burner, but he's the biggest and most physical WR they've got.  If McDermott thinks there will be times that he needs that physicality from a WR (instead of a TE) then Duke Williams is the guy who can do it.

7 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I'll let you know in September.  Seriously, if the Bills are looking for a variety of skill sets in their WRs, he has an excellent chance.  He's not a burner, but he's the biggest and most physical WR they've got.  If McDermott thinks there will be times that he needs that physicality from a WR (instead of a TE) then Duke Williams is the guy who can do it.

He's not that big. He's only 6'2". Sills is bigger and faster. Sills is 6'4" and ran a 4.57. Duke only ran a 4.66. To put this in perspective, Kelvin Benjamin ran a 4.61. So Duke is much smaller and slower than Kelvin Benjamin? No thanks.

So if they want a big WR my money would be on Sills.

4 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

I like the guy. But as a matter of numbers, I just can't see it at this point. His skill set is different than what we have, but I think Zay is trying to bulk up and assume that role. And we are more vested in him than we are Duke. Top 6 would be Zay, Foster, Beasley, Brown,McKenzie, and Roberts by default because of his ST prowess. Unless they cut a RB, there is no room for a 7th WR. Just my opinion tho. I'd rather cut Gore for Duke personally and keep Yeldon

I think Duke makes the team over McKenzie

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I don't see the Bills keeping a WR just because he's big and they don't otherwise have one of those.

I think he needs to prove he is more than a WR with TE speed and quickness as his measurables and past NFL chance indicated.  

Williams isn't a "high ceiling developmental prospect" or interchangeable part.......which is usually what your inactives are made up of.  

He probably makes the roster as an active player......the #4 WR........ or is not on the roster at all........I don't see him making the roster as the "6th" WR...........he's gotta' knock it out of the park as a receiver or on special teams or both, IMO.  I think he's gotta' be a guy they won't feel shy about lining up in 3 WR sets.    With Roberts basically assured the 5th WR spot it's probably #4 WR or bust for Duke.  

So I don't have Duke making the roster but maybe we get lucky and he blows us away in camp and preseason.    Hope he makes it interesting.

• Like (+1) 1

It is hard to know at this point with so much competition, and that is great to be able to say.  As others have said, the truth will reveal itself when the pads go on. My suspicion is that he will bring a skillset to the table that is different from the rest of the WR corps and that he will make the team.

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You are correct, I am wrong, we don't get a 54th spot for him.  And I don't know whether other teams are allowed to sign him off our PS either.

But I'd still like to hear about what folks see in McKensie that makes him a shoo-in for the 53 to them

I’m not big on McKenzie, only reasons I can think people lock him in is his experience in the system and returner ability if Roberts gets hurt. I don’t see any reason they can’t incorporate Roberts into those same gadget/sweep kinda plays McKenzie runs. I would personally cut the guy if others step up and show signs of being a legit threat down the field