Duke Williams- can he make the team?

I know the signing of Duke Williams was low key despite his great season in the CFL, but seeing his highlights and his size, I thought he was an intriguing addition to a mediocre wide receiver group.  However, after the additions of John Brown and Cole Beasley, we didn’t hear much about Duke in the OTAs and minicamp.

Now, all the pre-training camp articles mention Foster, Jones, Brown & Beasley but not Duke.  Could he be a diamond in the rough?  At the age of 26, he should be in his prime.

• Like (+1) 1

I like the guy. But as a matter of numbers, I just can't see it at this point. His skill set is different than what we have, but I think Zay is trying to bulk up and assume that role. And we are more vested in him than we are Duke. Top 6 would be Zay, Foster, Beasley, Brown,McKenzie, and Roberts by default because of his ST prowess. Unless they cut a RB, there is no room for a 7th WR. Just my opinion tho. I'd rather cut Gore for Duke personally and keep Yeldon

These things always work themselves out...........in the offseason even the chronicaly gimp are healthy and all the talk is about size and speed and what that COULD mean...........but once the pads go on and balls start getting dropped and separation isn't made as the defense throttles the offense in practices..........then we usually have to come to grips with the fact that the Bills offensive weaponry isn't where it needs to be in a matchup league. :thumbsup:

Duke is where Greg Little was at this stage in 2016............he's gotta' prove that he can do it..........Little proved without a doubt that he could not.

I've said before that if he makes the team, he could be the best blocking WR we've ever had. He is a beast, and super physical. I'm definitely a fan. And, the fact that he led the CFL last year in receiving isn't meaningless. The guy can get open, and catch the ball. I know he's certainly on the bubble, and he'll have to seriously shine in TC to make the cut. I hope he does.

57 minutes ago, chris heff said:

The strength of his game will be demonstrated when the pads go on. In a few days we shall see if he is for real.

Absolutely.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I've said before that if he makes the team, he could be the best blocking WR we've ever had. He is a beast, and super physical. I'm definitely a fan. And, the fact that he led the CFL last year in receiving isn't meaningless. The guy can get open, and catch the ball. I know he's certainly on the bubble, and he'll have to seriously shine in TC to make the cut. I hope he does.

Absolutely.

I think he will make it.  

First, I think he brings raw talent that no one other than Foster has.   He was a four- or five-star recruit coming out of high school, he apparently did very well against SEC competition until he screwed up, and he succeeded in the CFL.   People say "yeah, well, he got a running start in the CFL."   Sure he did, and every other receiver in the league did, too, and he led the league.   I think that the fact that he's been so highly rated and done well wherever he's gone means that he has superior talent.   So he has that going for him. 

Watching his CFL highlights, he seems to high-point the ball and fight for the ball as well as any receiver you can name.  Some of that video reminds me of Anquan Bolden.  

He can block, and he likes the contact.  That part of his game reminds me of Hines Ward. 

He's motivated.  

I think he's just a guy who took some time to grow up, and now he's ready to show what he can do.   My guess is that he will be impressive enough through training camp that the Bills won't be able to risk cutting him and sending him to the practice squad (if he's even eligible for it).   I think he will be good enough that the Bills will decide they have to keep him on the squad.   

And I think as the season progresses, we will see him more and more.  He might be the last receiver to make it, but I don't think he'll be the last receiver at the end of the season.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BuffAlone said:

I like the guy. But as a matter of numbers, I just can't see it at this point. His skill set is different than what we have, but I think Zay is trying to bulk up and assume that role. And we are more vested in him than we are Duke. Top 6 would be Zay, Foster, Beasley, Brown,McKenzie, and Roberts by default because of his ST prowess. Unless they cut a RB, there is no room for a 7th WR. Just my opinion tho. I'd rather cut Gore for Duke personally and keep Yeldon

I say Williams makes the team.  I suggest Williams is better than McKenzie and the only reason Roberts makes the team is for kick returns.

• Like (+1) 2

He’s definitely a different breed than the rest of the receivers. I think he may be a victim of the numbers game here this season though. 

He needs a monster preseason and practices to have a shot. 

One thing is for sure though, if/when him and Sills get cut half this board will go into meltdown about how they’ll take New England or KC or someone to the super bowl 

• Haha (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Steve Billieve said:

I was optimistic at first, but I think we would have heard more positive things about him if he really had much of a chance.

Same goes for the rugby running back.

Maybe we'll get to keep them on the practice squad.

Rugby dude doesn't count against the 53 this year 'cuz special program.  He stays.

Serious question: why is everyone so hot on McKensie?  What does he do that makes him stand out except those jet sweep/reverse type gadget plays?

• Like (+1) 5

11 minutes ago, JK Fan said:

I say Williams makes the team.  I suggest Williams is better than McKenzie and the only reason Roberts makes the team is for kick returns.

We'll see in a few weeks. Its numbers, not anything else. Like I said, I like him. Just don't think he'll clear the alotted amount.

As a receiver, the CFL may be the worst play for career progression. WR’s do not have to get off jams and corners are, well, pretty lousy! I am not saying Duke won’ make it but its going to be tough sledding. His skill set is definitely there now he has to bite down and learn the NFL game, and quick.

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Rugby dude doesn't count against the 53 this year 'cuz special program.  He stays.

Serious question: why is everyone so hot on McKensie?  What does he do that makes him stand out except those jet sweep/reverse type gadget plays?

I believe that if the Bills don't put Wade on the 53-man roster, he will be an additional spot on the PS, and be able to practice with the 53, but will not be allowed to be called up to the 53 from the PS for the entire season. I'm not sure if other teams are allowed to sign them off our PS, or not. But, I'm pretty sure we don't get a 54th spot on our roster for him.

20 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

As a receiver, the CFL may be the worst play for career progression. WR’s do not have to get off jams and corners are, well, pretty lousy! I am not saying Duke won’ make it but its going to be tough sledding. His skill set is definitely there now he has to bite down and learn the NFL game, and quick.

Are they worse than division 1 college CBs?

Be that as it may, Duke's career path is a pretty interesting story.