Are you friends with your neighbors?

Another Fan

Not one. We live on the lake and sometimes don't see our neighbors for years. Many of them have primary residences out of state, and they let family, friends, etc. stay during the eight months they're not around. Everyone keeps to him/herself and gets along great!

4 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Always try to be but have had our share of losers over the years.  Right now, one side is a youngish couple with 2 pre-schoolers, and they are very nice.  the other side is a nutcase and has at least 15 cats.  We love cats, just not his!  Hope he'll move but we've been here 15 years and he was here when we bought.  His wife left him a few years ago because he was abusive, so now it's just him and the cats.  The inside must smell delightful!

My neighbor across the way (the Kindergarten teacher) is a woman of ~50.  Her boyfriend is a piece of work.  He comes around to mow the lawn, then disappears for another week.  He's an abusive SOB, too.  She is also a crazy cat lady.  Neighbor next door was asked to feed the cats while she was away.  He told me as soon as he walked into the house, he wanted to vomit from the urine/feces smell.

Over the 11 years we've lived here, I've seen her get her carpets replaced once and all of her furniture replaced once.  She spent a ton of money in her backyard, with beautiful masonry, shrubbery and patio stones.  All covered in catshit now.

Two car garage is chock-full-oshit.  

Her property is THE eyesore of the development and, of course, it's right across the street.

So much to say.  I get along very well with the guy just north of me.  No connection to the neighbor due south of me.  Probably just as well.  The older couple just south and across the road are great neighbors but they are getting up in years so somebody new will be there soon.  Divorced 50ish lady across from the first north guy.  Never was sociable while her hubby was there but once he was gone she was out in her lawn chair drinking and waving.  Lady on the road a quarter mile down and on the right would come to the door in her bathrobe (once happened at 6AM) mid-30's and decent looking.  I think she moved on several months back.  She once stopped on her side of the road while I was coming from the opposite direction.  I kept going as I am married and not looking for anything on the side.  Guy around the corner I see in church and he can be Dr Jekyll-Mr Hyde depending on his mood.  Today I got Mr Hyde.  Lady just beyond the corner to the south had a thing for me in high school but too many years in between us so we never got together.  The guy kind of opposite her I actually had to tell him to never stop by after a couple of meets (long story).  Guy across from Mr Not Welcome Here graduated the same year as me from high school but he has his nose in the air.  No development or Cul-de-sac just a neighborhood away from the city.  Had some acreage nearby but sold it and miss the neighbors but at this point a lot of them have passed on or moved.

Edited by RochesterRob

Grew up in Steelton, Blasdell and knew more than half the families in the neighborhood.

Here my wife was a seamstress so we know a number of neighbors as customers.  We were friendly with one neighbor,  a retired marine who has died, and there was a series of renters next door but current father of family (not sure if they bought or are renting) is friendly and even tossed a few old baseballs for my dog to play with.  Other than that there are neighbors we recognize and who occasionally we trade misdelivered mail.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

My neighbor across the way (the Kindergarten teacher) is a woman of ~50.  Her boyfriend is a piece of work.  He comes around to mow the lawn, then disappears for another week.  He's an abusive SOB, too.  She is also a crazy cat lady.  Neighbor next door was asked to feed the cats while she was away.  He told me as soon as he walked into the house, he wanted to vomit from the urine/feces smell.

Over the 11 years we've lived here, I've seen her get her carpets replaced once and all of her furniture replaced once.  She spent a ton of money in her backyard, with beautiful masonry, shrubbery and patio stones.  All covered in catshit now.

Two car garage is chock-full-oshit.  

Her property is THE eyesore of the development and, of course, it's right across the street.

He also leaves his garage door up about 1-2 feet from closing.  Can't understand how a copperhead or a skunk has not entered yet,  Could be the aroma??

I just say Hi when I see them. Don't know their names. I make a point of never getting to know my neighbors. Learned a lesson from my Mom. She became friends with the next door neighbors and the annoying woman next door was always coming over and all summer long she would be sitting in our backyard.

We're in our early 40s and moved in almost two years ago and have met the dear old man next to us in his 90s  three times each time it's the first time for him. He talks about his wife yet have never seen her in person. On the other side we've talked to the couple (I'm guessing in their early 70s) a few times and he even removed some bushes for us from our front yard. I know all of their first names. Yet we've never been inside in either ones house or vice versa or shared an outside cookout etc. 

Edited by The Jokeman

I have a larger piece of land, so there's some distance to my "neighbors," but you never know what can happen.

Yesterday morning about 7:40, my wife and I were watching the news and the doorbell rings.

I open the door and this guy asks me if they can land their balloon on my property.

I've seen them many times in the past, and I always hoped they would land here so I said sure.

This huge hot air balloon is about five feet in the air and about fifty feet from my house.

Anyway, they land the thing and the customers get out of the basket and I am conversing with the pilot and owner about my aviation stuff, and he offers the wife and I a quick lift, which I of course,  am interested in.

We go up to about eighty feet, tethered, so we don't drift, and the come down.

Really an interesting way to start the day, and we had a great time with them.

Here's the balloon

Boar's Head Balloon

• Like (+1) 2

Actually more of you guys are friendlier with your neighbors than I thought.  Not that that’s a bad thing.   I tended to think the modern world made it a little more difficult: social media, not really being home that often because of work other engagements, etc.....   

A kid of the 90s I always remember the TV shows if that area where people went through each other’s windows 

I am "friendly" with most of my neighbors.  

2 or 3 trustworthy enough to have access to my house whey we are away.  (and that doesn't count the cops directly behind me or the 2 others up the street)

small town burbs (even fast growing) tend to be friendlier than some of the Townhouse communities in the much bigger burbs  where they are either slobs or snobbish

I'm on a cul-de-sac of 11 homes that is within a community of 290 homes.  I know 95% of the people on my street.

The one couple I'm real good friends with, prolly my best friends.

Neighbors to the right of me are cool, she tends to get into knowing everyone's business.

Lady across the street lost her husband to cancer last year about this time.  I go over and clean the driveway / mow the lawn when the kid on street can't.

Except for the husband of one couple that I won't even acknowledge, everyone is pretty cool.

The guy across the street was  a real pain.  Started out nice and friendly, but ended up alienating everyone. Started out he widened  his garage.  His wife worked for the town judge and  was able to build too close to the lot line.  The water  came of the garage  and hit the neighbor's house. He claimed it was always that way Thing was  the daughter of the original owners   was the neighbor whose house got wet.  They sued and made him restore the garage.

When my brother was a kid,  he was going to shoot a bb gun in the fields behind our house and spilled the bbs in the driveway, he and his friend picked them up (I was  a teenager and helped them).  A ew minutes later a cop pulls up and says they got a call  of someone pointing a gun at the neighbor's house.  As an adult, my brother is a county worker and sometimes stops in for lunch or  to use the bathroom. The neighbor called  the county and  tried getting him fired. Broyher's boss told the neighbor to pound sand. 

He discharged his sump pump on the neighbor's house on the other side and then when that neighbor put up a barricade to direct the water back into the jerk's yard, he sued him.  Since his wife' worked for a town judge, the case was moved to the next town.  The judge there,  pissed at the frivolous nature threw it out and told hime to never show his face in that town again.

He eventually built a new house next to a large town park that was  built 15-20 years before he built his house. I have heard  he has complained to the town about the lights from the baseball diamonds and noise.

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

I have a larger piece of land, so there's some distance to my "neighbors," but you never know what can happen.

Yesterday morning about 7:40, my wife and I were watching the news and the doorbell rings.

I open the door and this guy asks me if they can land their balloon on my property.

I've seen them many times in the past, and I always hoped they would land here so I said sure.

This huge hot air balloon is about five feet in the air and about fifty feet from my house.

Anyway, they land the thing and the customers get out of the basket and I am conversing with the pilot and owner about my aviation stuff, and he offers the wife and I a quick lift, which I of course,  am interested in.

We go up to about eighty feet, tethered, so we don't drift, and the come down.

Really an interesting way to start the day, and we had a great time with them.

Here's the balloon

Boar's Head Balloon

I moved to Bristol, CT in 1992 and lived about a quarter mile from ESPN HQ.   The first morning  (in May) i  had the window open a crack  and hear a whooshing sound.  Open the blinds and see several balloons in the air.  They were launching from a park down the street , so I rushed over there and saw the rest lift off.

Been in the same suburban subdivision for almost 30 years.  Some neighbors I know by name and frequently chat with them.  Others, are just a wave and keep moving kind of neighbors.  Don't even know there names.  Then there are a few who don't even respond to a wave if we both happen to be out in the yard.

That being said, I've never been in any neighbors house or socialized with them outside of previously mentioned chit chat. 

Neighbor from hell...right next door.  Slob cuts his lawn once a month, flower beds with more weeds than anything, ***** all over their deck and backyard.  Two kids between 5 & 10 who are two of the worst behaved kids I've ever seen.  My yard is far from perfect, but I try and keep it neat.  WTF did you buy a house for.  Just go rent an apartment for you, the wife and kids in some trashy apartment complex where you won't ever have to lift a finger to do anything outside.  I can only imagine what that place must look like on the inside.

17 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Been in the same suburban subdivision for almost 30 years.  Some neighbors I know by name and frequently chat with them.  Others, are just a wave and keep moving kind of neighbors.  Don't even know there names.  Then there are a few who don't even respond to a wave if we both happen to be out in the yard.

That being said, I've never been in any neighbors house or socialized with them outside of previously mentioned chit chat. 

Neighbor from hell...right next door.  Slob cuts his lawn once a month, flower beds with more weeds than anything, ***** all over their deck and backyard.  Two kids between 5 & 10 who are two of the worst behaved kids I've ever seen.  My yard is far from perfect, but I try and keep it neat.  WTF did you buy a house for.  Just go rent an apartment for you, the wife and kids in some trashy apartment complex where you won't ever have to lift a finger to do anything outside.  I can only imagine what that place must look like on the inside.

Interesting.  I can take a lot of sloppiness in terms of the plants but poorly behaved kids.....GGRRRRRR!   Been pretty good of late but there was a period about ten years back I had ATV problems on the property.  Had to go out and confront kids.  I was always respectful and I think that helped resolve the issues.  

Back when I was at Cornell during the 1980's Carl Sagan was a neighbor.  Go up the street two short blocks and make a right.  Drove a black Saab as I recall.