Are you friends with your neighbors?

Another Fan

So I saw on some commercial only 1 in 3 Americans really "know" their neighbors nowadays so to speak.  I forgot what company that was.  

Growing up I lived in a working/middle class Italian neighborhood where for the most part people all knew each other and looked out for each other.  One time I remember in high school I forgot my keys to get in the house and one of the neighbors let me stay with her and fed me for a few hours until my mom got home.  

It's a bit more of a suburban neighborhood I'm in now where the phone lines are all underground.  For the most part though people don't really socialize like that anymore in my experiences.  I rarely see the neighbors.  I'll say hello but I really don't "know" them.  

• Like (+1) 1

For the most part. Some of our kids hang out. Know all their names. Definitely on good terms with everyone, but it's not like were having dinner at their houses or anything . I've heard some really bad stories with people having feuds with the neighbors. I'm thankful I'm not in that boat.

Edited by RaoulDuke79

We live in an HOA  community of sixty-seven townhomes.  Almost all owned by retirees.  It appears that most know the names of their neighbors, but even more so know the names of their pets to the extent that they refer to each other as, "Rover's mother" for example.  I know neither the names of the people nor their pets.  However, I can dispense smiles and waves with the best of them. ( I specialize in the Queen Elizabeth vertical palm waggle wave.)

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I mow my neighbor's lawn he mows mine... Both sides.  Same with shoveling... They both have blowers.  They blow me.  I shovel them... I get off a lot... So I bring their cans in on Wednesday...

1 minute ago, Keukasmallies said:

We live in an HOA  community of sixty-seven townhomes.  Almost all owned by retirees.  It appears that most know the names of their neighbors, but even more so know the names of their pets to the extent that they refer to each other as, "Rover's mother" for example.  I know neither the names of the people nor their pets.  However, I can dispense smiles and waves with the best of them. ( I specialize in the Queen Elizabeth vertical palm waggle wave.)

You sound like my FiL... He "speaks" to his neighbors... Which means a terse flick of wrist, wave and nod of head.

3 minutes ago, Keukasmallies said:

You sound like my FiL... He "speaks" to his neighbors... Which means a terse flick of wrist, wave and nod of head.

Ooops... Sorry for x2 post.  I am like "Visa"... "Everywhere."

I'm on a corner lot, so I technically have four next door neighbors.  I'm on a first name basis with all of them.  I consider myself friends with one of them - mostly because I've known them for over 20 years, due to working with the wife from the late 90s- 2014.  The other three are a mixed bag.  All nice - on the surface.  One is a whacko (and a kindergarten teacher, SMH).  The neighbors to my right are busy bodies and, what I like to call, "fake rich people."  Pretentious *****.  The neighbors behind me ... hubby is pretty cool.  Can be a pain in the ass at times with poorly timed small talk.  Wife is a smokeshow, but a weird b-word.  They are part of one of those cult churches.  When their daughter and my son were 5, she told him that he was going to hell because we didn't go to church.  Cute, eh?

There are 84 houses in our subdivision.  I'm on a first name basis with over 20 of the families.  But I've only been to others' houses a handful of times.  So I would not consider them "friends," per se.  We are, however, friendly.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm on a corner lot, so I technically have four next door neighbors.  I'm on a first name basis with all of them.  I consider myself friends with one of them - mostly because I've known them for over 20 years, due to working with the wife from the late 90s- 2014.  The other three are a mixed bag.  All nice - on the surface.  One is a whacko (and a kindergarten teacher, SMH).  The neighbors to my right are busy bodies and, what I like to call, "fake rich people."  Pretentious *****.  The neighbors behind me ... hubby is pretty cool.  Can be a pain in the ass at times with poorly timed small talk.  Wife is a smokeshow, but a weird b-word.  They are part of one of those cult churches.  When their daughter and my son were 5, she told him that he was going to hell because we didn't go to church.  Cute, eh?

There are 84 houses in our subdivision.  I'm on a first name basis with over 20 of the families.  But I've only been to others' houses a handful of times.  So I would not consider them "friends," per se.  We are, however, friendly.

The problem sounds like it's you.  LoL... Who on God's Flat Earth has an assessment of their neighbors like this?

?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I mow my neighbor's lawn he mows mine... Both sides.  Same with shoveling... They both have blowers.  They blow me.  I shovel them... I get off a lot... So I bring their cans in on Wednesday...

The highlighted is definitely more than we needed to know, though they do sound like particularly courteous neighbors.

• Haha (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The problem sounds like it's you.  LoL... Who on God's Flat Earth has an assessment of their neighbors like this?

?

I honestly can't stand the town I live in.  I grew up here.  It's worse as an adult than it was as a child.  A bunch of snobby a-holes who raise other snobby a-holes.  I keep to myself and that makes everything better.

• Like (+1) 1

I will make small talk with neighbors while walking the dog, doing yard work, etc. Mostly we talk about harmless things like the weather, growing plants, pruning trees, dogs, etc.  We have been neighbors for 20 or more years, and have only been inside each other’s houses once or twice.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I honestly can't stand the town I live in.  I grew up here.  It's worse as an adult than it was as a child.  A bunch of snobby a-holes who raise other snobby a-holes.  I keep to myself and that makes everything better.

I grew up in a village like that. Visitors tell me that it is so wonderful and the people are so nice! Well guess what...you only went there for lunch!

Edited by Rocket94
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Sounds like a very open minded community.  

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Keukasmallies said:

tenor.gif?itemid=8402952

• Like (+1) 1

We know most of our immediate neighbors, those adjacent and across the street. Most are nice people.

Its nothing like where I grew up though. Everyone knew everyone. Even today, I can go back to my mom's house and remember the name of everyone who lived on our street, five houses either way, everyone on the street behind us, 90% of those who lived on the street connected to the street behind us, and half of the people who lived on the street beyond that one. Hell, there was a mafia kingpin on the last street mentioned.

We'd have a neighborhood block party every year with about 100-150 people who attended. Times were different in suburbia back in the60's and 70s

I know my neighbors. 

I mow the 2 lawns next to me. 

Neighbors on right side of us at getting close to 85 and he has been up at the rehabilitation place for the last 8 months.  (Not sure he will ever get back home.) his wife goes up and sees him every day. 

Been our neighbor since we moved in back in early 80s. 

Left side of us are young couple 3 kids - boy 4, twin girls 1 and a half. 

Across the street on each corner one couple moved in mid 80s other couple 12 years ago. 

Lot of new young couples with kids under 8 have moved in last 3-4 years. Probably 8 house in our neighborhood (48 houses) 

lot of good neighbors 

I can’t wait to move in with Gugny next year so he can feed me and change my diaper. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1