Ex-Bill Shawne Merriman in the news, and not in a good way

49 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

If she is the a victim then it is low to attack her, but there are a lot more false accusations than you probably realize.  These are emotion triggering accusation with people having a difficult time wanting to challenge the victim.  These crimes are election winners so if there was no prosecution I would believe there is nothing here.  If there was even the slightest chance of a conviction prosecution would have accured as DAs dont care about guilt or innocense just convictions.

Football teams are not the only ones who care about winning percentage and its pretty sick.  At both a victims and a falsely accused individuals end.

Oh so it would be more respectable of a victim to get raped at 10 pm.  I guess victims should have day planners to schedule their rape appointment.

What you are saying is something a rapist would likely say.  "She wanted it or deserved it because she was be out so late"

Grow some empathy dude.

If there’s no prosecution, then no crime occurred??

Wtf?  Do people really believe this?

It's sad that someone would kill a woman for sex. They turned that poor girl into an object instead of a living, breathing, beautiful soul and spirit with a mind, feelings and personality. Whether Shawne actually had a hand in this I do not know, but someone has blood on their hands and major demons occupying their vessel.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

He wasn't charged with her death.  It's a money grab.

How do you know that? Just because he wasn't charged with a crime doesn't mean that there isn't a worthy civil case against him. There is a different standard between the criminal and civil side of the law. You are making an assumption based on your assumption. That's a flimsy basis to make a judgment before the case is pursued. 

18 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

It's sad that someone would kill a woman for sex. They turned that poor girl into an object instead of a living, breathing, beautiful soul and spirit with a mind, feelings and personality. Whether Shawne actually had a hand in this I do not know, but someone has blood on their hands and major demons occupying their vessel.

It’s also sad that some women will choose to hang around creeps who happen to have money. Their lust for a piece of that life is too much to overcome. No one deserves to die over sex, but let’s be honest here. There are often blatant warning signs in these types of relationships, yet they continue to hang around. You’re correct that we don’t know if Merriman had anything to do with this, but someone did. It does still take two to tango, and there’s only so much one can do if someone wants to hang around a sleazy element because they lack a backbone. 

3 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Yup.  Merriman has always been a dirtbag but this is pretty thin.

I feel bad for the parents, but it's a shame they couldn't raise their daughter to be something other than a plaything for sleazy dudes.

Ouch....

42 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

She was employed by playboy so don’t think she had zero say in this sex object thing. 

As for OD hard to know what the contributors were.  Sounded like there was a whole lot of drugs going on and was the night of a party at Hefs from what I thought I read 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

How do you know that? Just because he wasn't charged with a crime doesn't mean that there isn't a worthy civil case against him. There is a different standard between the criminal and civil side of the law. You are making an assumption based on your assumption. That's a flimsy basis to make a judgment before the case is pursued. 

I don't have to assume that no charges were brought against him because the truth is, none were.  The only assumption is that LE covered for Merriman, who at this point is a nobody, having last played in the NFL 7 years ago.

As for the civil suit, sure they might win.  But what really hurts their case is the parents alleging that she texted the promoter saying she saw him pour GHB into her drink...and she still drank it/partied with him.  And then there's the issue of the booze and cocaine.  Was he responsible for her taking those as well?

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

It’s also sad that some women will choose to hang around creeps who happen to have money. Their lust for a piece of that life is too much to overcome. No one deserves to die over sex, but let’s be honest here. There are often blatant warning signs in these types of relationships, yet they continue to hang around. You’re correct that we don’t know if Merriman had anything to do with this, but someone did. It does still take two to tango, and there’s only so much one can do if someone wants to hang around a sleazy element because they lack a backbone. 

I know plenty of women who hang around creeps who don’t have money. 

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

More victim blaming. Disgusting.

Stop with the cheap labels, no one is blaming the victim.  Pretty much everyone already agreed SM was a dirtbag, and if he did what he was accused of he should die in prison.  But that doesn’t mean we should ignore the cause and effect of what is far more likely to happen if you follow random people home at 3am..... or more broadly, ignore the impact of our instant gratification culture that pushes young people into making those bad decisions.

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Thank you for articulating this better than I have in this thread.  Apologies to all I have offended on a lazy Sunday morning!

18 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Stop with the cheap labels, no one is blaming the victim.  Pretty much everyone already agreed SM was a dirtbag, and if he did what he was accused of he should die in prison.  But that doesn’t mean we should ignore the cause and effect of what is far more likely to happen if you follow random people home at 3am..... or more broadly, ignore the impact of our instant gratification culture that pushes young people into making those bad decisions.

Thank you for articulating this better than I have in this thread.  Apologies to all I have offended on a lazy Sunday morning!

Why apologize for your POV?

12 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Why apologize for your POV?

I’m not.  I reiterated my POV.

But also have no desire to create a big brouhaha that kills the thread.  In recent years I’ve decided that continuing to tweak the over-sensitive isn’t as fun as it used to be (well.....sometimes it is).

• Like (+1) 1

None of us know enough about this situation to judge or label anybody.  Even if we had all the info, I’ll still leaving the judging to a power greater than myself. This is just tragic. That’s all I know.  

3 hours ago, JoeF said:

Where's Pat Moran when we need him?  He will get to the bottom of this.

Moran made the stupid remark but he was telling the truth about Merriman.    He was cuffed by a Bills fan I've known for decades and his viles were seized the whole nine.   Sometimes "the juice" isn't worth the squeeze of prosecution though.    Bills fans just didn't want to hear it.   The juice was the only thing keeping his body glued together at that point.   

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

I don't have to assume that no charges were brought against him because the truth is, none were.  The only assumption is that LE covered for Merriman, who at this point is a nobody, having last played in the NFL 7 years ago.

As for the civil suit, sure they might win.  But what really hurts their case is the parents alleging that she texted the promoter saying she saw him pour GHB into her drink...and she still drank it/partied with him.  And then there's the issue of the booze and cocaine.  Was he responsible for her taking those as well?

Just because charges were not brought does not mean that he didn't commit a crime or that there isn't civil culpability. If the authorities don't have enough evidence to take the case to a criminal court it doesn't mean that her family doesn't have enough evidence to take this case to a civil court.  Your comment that I and others are suggesting that the LE covered for Merriman by not charging him is ludicrous. 

What if it is demonstrated that Merriman had a habit of drugging women he was socializing with? That certainly would support the claim that he might have drugged her. I'm not saying he did or didn't because I don't know. But what I am saying is that her family on her behalf has a right to civilly take him to court if they feel that there is a case. 

Edited by JohnC

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

But that doesn’t mean we should ignore the cause and effect of what is far more likely to happen if you follow random people home at 3am..... or more broadly, ignore the impact of our instant gratification culture that pushes young people into making those bad decisions.

I must have missed this part of the article, or are you making this up ?

3 hours ago, klos63 said:

More victim blaming. Disgusting.

Not victim blaming, that’s a liberal catchphrase and it’s far too broad. There is something to be said for not putting oneself in harm’s way in exchange for cheap rewards. That’s just a factual statement and the truth isn’t always PC enough to satisfy libs. I don’t know the whole story here but the conversation is more in general 

2 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I know plenty of women who hang around creeps who don’t have money. 

Fair point, and it’s just as foolish. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Not victim blaming, that’s a liberal catchphrase and it’s far too broad. There is something to be said for not putting oneself in harm’s way in exchange for cheap rewards. That’s just a factual statement and the truth isn’t always PC enough to satisfy libs. 

So victim blaming doesn't happen?  I agree that a woman shouldn't be walking down a dark alley at night by herself, poor judgement.  If indeed she was drugged without her knowledge, I would say it's not her fault. We should all have the expectation of going to a party and not having someone drug our drinks.  So far you've been more critical of the victim and 'libs' than you were of Merriman.

Just now, klos63 said:

So victim blaming doesn't happen?  I agree that a woman shouldn't be walking down a dark alley at night by herself, poor judgement.  If indeed she was drugged without her knowledge, I would say it's not her fault. We should all have the expectation of going to a party and not having someone drug our drinks.  So far you've been more critical of the victim and 'libs' than you were of Merriman.

I don’t know if Merriman is to blame, but I think he’s had a checkered past. Knowledge is power, and while we should have that expectation it al depends on who else is at that party. Obviously the perp is far more to blame than the victim in any case. 

• Like (+1) 1