ESPN's "Future Power Rankings"

29 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I think that Allen's faults, and limitations, and the things he needs to improve upon are fairly well established, and agreed upon. There are only a few posters on here who genuinely seem to want him gone, and one in particular who will willfully misrepresent stats, and plays to push that agenda. But, in general, even the people on here who are especially wary of his limitations, and doubt his ability to become a franchise QB, are willing to see him play out, and are hopeful that he succeeds.

To call Allen "polarizing" seems crazy to me. Tyrod was polarizing. Peterman, and EJ Manuel were polarizing. There were people who were hard-core fans of those guys, and people who wanted them GONE. 

I’d agree polarizing is hyperbole but he’s anything but settled. If he’s 2-6 and 52% completions with pretty even TD:int in October, it’ll get pretty polarized quickly.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

Sorry to say, but you are right. The Bills have to win consistently again to be considered.

ESPN and others are just calling it as they see it. They are probably basing it on tendencies and patterns of the Bills performance in recent years. No big surprise.

18 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Just out of curiosity...and I truly mean this...are you a Bills fan?  Or a passer-by fan of another team?  Either way it's totally cool but I honestly haven't been able to get a read on whether you are a Bills  fan or someone who just posts here due to proximity to the team or something (i.e. living in the area maybe).

Again, no issues either way but just trying to get a sense for whether you are a Bills fan or a casual passer by.

Calling people nerds seems a little harsh.  Just because someone doesnt agree with your take doesnt mean they are a nerd (or insert other negative attack).  Please try to be more respectful to other posters.

You’re right. Nerds are smart.  I apologize to nerds. 

23 hours ago, GreggTX said:

How are we ranked higher than Jacksonville and the 49'ers? I'd put us ahead of Oakland, though. For the most part, this is a fair assessment, but it never turns out quite how you expected. Unless something changes drastically, this team has no elite talent yet. Most of the FA's we signed are depth and the ones that are slated to start are average starters or a tad above avg for an NFL starter. I'd say Oliver is the only one likely to become elite. Maybe another rookie will surprise (Singletary?). I feel sorry for those who are expecting 10 wins or more. They will be disappointed yet again.

Oh, don't be such a hater!!!   Of course the Bills are going to win 10 games ... the true Billievers on TSW guarantee it because McDermott and Beane walk on water .... and Brady and NE have to start demonstrating their incompetence some season.

19 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Just out of curiosity...and I truly mean this...are you a Bills fan?  Or a passer-by fan of another team?  Either way it's totally cool but I honestly haven't been able to get a read on whether you are a Bills  fan or someone who just posts here due to proximity to the team or something (i.e. living in the area maybe).

Again, no issues either way but just trying to get a sense for whether you are a Bills fan or a casual passer by.

I've been a Bills fan since 1963 when my dad took me to a Bills game in the Old Rockpile.  I was a season ticket holder for a while --- until the Bills gave Dick Jauron an extension for 2009.   Watching the team I love suck for the last twenty years while so many other teams have won big time, slid down down, and re-emerged as winners again -- sometimes doing this process more than once -- over the last twenty years has made me very skeptical of the motivation of the Bills owners and the competence of the "football people" they hire.

What jumps out at me is that yes the Patriots are at the top but the Jets and Dolphins are at the bottom...which means the Bills should get out of their division at 4-2. Most teams would take that in a heartbeat. Then you take your chances against the rest of the league. What’s my point? I find it hard to believe that the AFCE could have three teams consistently at the bottom especially with an aging Tom Brady to factor into the mix. It looks like a lazy list to me.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You’re right. Nerds are smart.  I apologize to nerds. 

Lol.  I guess nerds CAN be smart.  But it's not a rule.  I guess it's more that you think (or seem to think, based on your post) that those that disagree with ESPN are nerds.  Let's just say that ESPN has a certain political affiliation that has been well documented and anyone who doesn't agree with them is usually vilified.  So, like, ya know, maybe people should stop doing that :):):)

23 hours ago, GreggTX said:

How are we ranked higher than Jacksonville and the 49'ers? I'd put us ahead of Oakland, though. For the most part, this is a fair assessment, but it never turns out quite how you expected. Unless something changes drastically, this team has no elite talent yet. Most of the FA's we signed are depth and the ones that are slated to start are average starters or a tad above avg for an NFL starter. I'd say Oliver is the only one likely to become elite. Maybe another rookie will surprise (Singletary?). I feel sorry for those who are expecting 10 wins or more. They will be disappointed yet again.

So Tre, Poyer, Hyde, Hughes or Shady aren't elite?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

17 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I've been a Bills fan since 1963 when my dad took me to a Bills game in the Old Rockpile.  I was a season ticket holder for a while --- until the Bills gave Dick Jauron an extension for 2009.   Watching the team I love suck for the last twenty years while so many other teams have won big time, slid down down, and re-emerged as winners again -- sometimes doing this process more than once -- over the last twenty years has made me very skeptical of the motivation of the Bills owners and the competence of the "football people" they hire.

poor fella

I’m not surprised by this ranking. You have a very polarizing young QB in Allen who needs to show a lot more than he has (and I think he will) to get the attention of writers covering the league. Beyond Allen we have exactly zero young studs on offense, rather a bunch of competent veterans and intriguing players looking to capitalize on a second or third chance.

On defense our two best players, Hughes and Lorax, are well into their 30s. Our safeties are already in their prime. We definitely have some young talent too in Edumunds and Oliver but they haven’t shown star potential on the field yet. 

I think the team is going to be better this year but any future ranking which looks at proven young stud blue chippers is going to rate the Bills poorly.

51 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Fair enough.  Can't argue with that.  But, hey, this might be the year (I know, I know, it's basically the Bills' fan's mantra, but it could be lol)

15 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So Tre, Poyer, Hyde, Hughes or Shady aren't elite?

This is a future ranking. Hughes and shady are on the wrong side of 30 as are the WRs we signed to help Allen. 

Pats are rated highly because despite their QBs age, They are a legitimate super bowl contender if not favorite if he’s around. One year (let alone 2 or 3) of that being the case should have more weight than anything else. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Chemical said:

This is a future ranking. Hughes and shady are on the wrong side of 30 as are the WRs we signed to help Allen. 

Pats are rated highly because despite their QBs age, They are a legitimate super bowl contender if not favorite if he’s around. One year (let alone 2 or 3) of that being the case should have more weight than anything else. 

They're the favorites because they're the favorites. They are favorites by inertia. They are favorites because everyone drops to their knees at the mention of Brady and Belichick. McDermott is building a Patriot killer.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They're the favorites because they're the favorites. They are favorites by inertia. They are favorites because everyone drops to their knees at the mention of Brady and Belichick. McDermott is building a Patriot killer.

Right-o.    0-4 against Brady and Belichick just screams 'a Patriot killer'.

46 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Shouldn’t a Bills fan be upset that Brady/Belichick are nearly undefeated against Buffalo as opposed to confidently ignorant?

Isn't most of the NFL nearly winless against the Patriots?

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Right-o.    0-4 against Brady and Belichick just screams 'a Patriot killer'.

Yes Derek Anderson was QB plan #1 to take down the Pats. Brilliant analysis.

Besides I'm taking about the current team, in case that went over your head.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Thank you (+1) 1