ESPN's "Future Power Rankings"

I like it.  I would much rather have everyone think the Bills suck and have them prove everyone wrong.  They will be the talk of the NFL when they start bashing "playoff contenders".  "Josh Allen, QB of the Buffalo Bills" will start getting Chunky Soup commercials.  We fans know what a crappy team looks like, so I think our enthusiasm about THIS team should mean something.  I'm optimistic that this Bills team could be a playoff contender, and after 1 more solid off-season, they will be annual playoff participants.  It's fun to be the underdog.

Pats and Pitt are too high

Colts I think should be high...but #1 is a bit too high until they prove they belong in the top tier of teams.  If you are going to put the #1...you can justify Cleveland a bit higher too.

I'm not a fan of the Jets, but I think they should be a bit higher. I'd go a bit higher with the  Bills, and 49ers could be higher also.

I know New England is justified a lot of coverage based on their success....but it we are to believe some of their reporters, they would have been to 15 Superbowls in a Row, winning most of them, with another 3 or 4 more to come.

Edited by mjd1001

How do you fairly rank a team with a second year qb who flashed at time but hasn't shown enough consistently to anoint him the franchise QB. So they went low and played it safe. Our defense is legit, but a defense can only carry a team so far in this league where the rules are skewed towards offense. I can't complain about where they ranked it. I still think Riddick is an idiot regardless.

13 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Pats and Pitt are too high

Colts I think should be high...but #1 is a bit too high until they prove they belong in the top tier of teams.  If you are going to put the #1...you can justify Cleveland a bit higher too.

I'm not a fan of the Jets, but I think they should be a bit higher. I'd go a bit higher with the  Bills, and 49ers could be higher also.

I know New England is justified a lot of coverage based on their success....but it we are to believe some of their reporters, they would have been to 15 Superbowls in a Row, winning most of them, with another 3 or 4 more to come.

...LMAO...gotta love the knotted nylons and hissy fits over this urinalists' prognostications.....Pats?.....isn't this this eighth year their 6 foot hole has been dug and dirt thrown on "their grave"?...um ok.....Browns at #9?.....because of Blowhard Baker's yap, a new HC as well as trying to mesh divas like OBJ ,etc?....under the radar works just fine......who realistically gives a rat's azz where thy say we are anyways?.....16 games ahead.....

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s hilarious how nerds dismiss ESPN.  Louis Riddick and Field Yates are 2 of the smartest, non biased people working in sports journalism. 

...true....Steven A  parted the Red Sea and NOT Moses....ESPN is gospel...........fickledom....

3 hours ago, Bill Murray said:

I think the future for our defense is extremely bright, but on offense what do we have?  An uncertain future at all skill positions and a polarizing young QB that you either love or hate.  No one has seen Cody Ford play and it’s hard to know what to think about Dawkins after a surprisingly strong rookie year followed up with limited progress beyond that in year 2.  Robert Foster and Zay showed flashes, but do either of them look like they can be a legitimate week in week out threat if other teams game plan for them as they do for the top ten #1s in the league.  So, I’m a perennial Bills optimist and I believe in Allen, but right here right now this assessment is fair.  

Josh Allen is "polarizing?" Are you high? Can you name one poster on these boards who "hates" Allen? Certainly, you could find Taylor haters, Peterman haters, hell, there were even Kelly haters during his tenure. But, the worst you are going to find about Allen is someone claiming to be "not a fan of the signing," or "unproven," etc. Even SoTier doesn't display hatred of him. And, those people are in the clear minority. I would say that Allen, if anything, has the fanbase united behind him more than any QB I can remember. Do you hate Allen?

15 hours ago, Doc Brown said:
  1. Indianapolis Colts : 87.8

2. New England Patriots : 87.2

3. Philadelphia Eagles : 87.0

4. Kansas City Chiefs : 85.5

5. Seattle Seahawks : 84.9

6. Pittsburgh Steelers : 84.4

7. New Orleans Saints : 84.2

8. Los Angeles Rams : 82.8

9. Cleveland Browns : 81.9

10. Los Angeles Chargers : 80.9

11. Chicago Bears : 80.5

12. Minnesota Vikings : 80.4

13. Green Bay Packers : 79.6

14. Dallas Cowboys : 79.0

15. Atlanta Falcons : 78.4

16. Houston Texans : 77.6

17. Baltimore Ravens : 77.0

18. Carolina Panthers : 76.7

19. Tennessee Titans : 75.3

20. Oakland Raiders : 75.2

21. Detroit Lions : 74.5

22. Denver Broncos : 74.3

23. Buffalo Bills : 73.9

24. San Francisco 49ers : 73.6

25. Jacksonville Jaguars : 72.9

26. Tampa Bay Buccaneers : 72.0

27. Washington Redskins : 71.3

28. Cincinnati Bengals : 71.0

29. New York Jets : 70.8

30. Arizona Cardinals : 70.4

31. New York Giants : 69.1

32. Miami Dolphins : 65.4

How are we ranked higher than Jacksonville and the 49'ers? I'd put us ahead of Oakland, though. For the most part, this is a fair assessment, but it never turns out quite how you expected. Unless something changes drastically, this team has no elite talent yet. Most of the FA's we signed are depth and the ones that are slated to start are average starters or a tad above avg for an NFL starter. I'd say Oliver is the only one likely to become elite. Maybe another rookie will surprise (Singletary?). I feel sorry for those who are expecting 10 wins or more. They will be disappointed yet again.

I don’t understand the love for the Browns....

Are they Solid on offense? Sure. OBJ may become a cancer, their Oline is decent. 

Thing is, they had the 30th ranked defense. I don’t think they got better on that side of the ball at all! Lost a solid DC. 

I see them as a 8 win team... Baker is going to shoulder way more responsibility and teams will figure him out. If there’s anyone I see having a slump it’s baker. I just think he’s going to force to much and try to hard and crack under the pressure this year. Yes he’s a stud, yes he will be a top QB in the future. But the Browns Defense is super suspect and it’s all on Baker to make OBJ happy. I see It imploding after 3-4 straight losses.... because of their defense.

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

Josh Allen is "polarizing?" Are you high? Can you name one poster on these boards who "hates" Allen? Certainly, you could find Taylor haters, Peterman haters, hell, there were even Kelly haters during his tenure. But, the worst you are going to find about Allen is someone claiming to be "not a fan of the signing," or "unproven," etc. Even SoTier doesn't display hatred of him. And, those people are in the clear minority. I would say that Allen, if anything, has the fanbase united behind him more than any QB I can remember. Do you hate Allen?

This is a pretty emotional and overall ridiculous take.  He was the most discussed quarterback in his draft class causing Twitter spats and draftnik face-offs left and right.  This board is filled with national media takes of Allen having horrible accuracy followed by good morning nfl links of deep JA love.  He right now is one of the most polarizing young players in the entire NFL.

I personally love Allen, but I’m also a logical person and was highlighting it’s a fair take to say the bills don’t have obvious building blocks on offense.  Name our RB, WR, and TE of the future.  You haven’t seen the RB or TE log a single NFL down and the WRs have shown flashes of potential but not much more.  Facts.  Could this work out? Of course.  Could it not, of course.  If you think anything you have written in your response is even close to remotely true, you either don’t pay attention to football media, or prob need to have a drink and hug your feelings pillow a little tighter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

This is a pretty emotional and overall ridiculous take.  He was the most discussed quarterback in his draft class causing Twitter spats and draftnik face-offs left and right.  This board is filled with national media takes of Allen having horrible accuracy followed by good morning nfl links of deep JA love.  He right now is one of the most polarizing young players in the entire NFL.

I personally love Allen, but I’m also a logical person and was highlighting it’s a fair take to say the bills don’t have obvious building blocks on offense.  Name our RB, WR, and TE of the future.  You haven’t seen the RB or TE log a single NFL down and the WRs have shown flashes of potential but not much more.  Facts.  Could this work out? Of course.  Could it not, of course.  If you think anything you have written in your response is even close to remotely true, you either don’t pay attention to football media, or prob need to have a drink and hug your feelings pillow a little tighter.

Thanks for all the straw man arguments, but:

1) I'm not emotional

2) My response to you had nothing to do with the state of our offense.

3) You're still characterizing Allen as "polarizing?"

I guess when I hear the term "polarizing," and in the context of this fan forum, and this thread, I'm interpreting that as how it relates to the fanbase. And, in that context, Allen is anything but polarizing.

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...LMAO...gotta love the knotted nylons and hissy fits over this urinalists' prognostications.....Pats?.....isn't this this eighth year their 6 foot hole has been dug and dirt thrown on "their grave"?...um ok.....Browns at #9?.....because of Blowhard Baker's yap, a new HC as well as trying to mesh divas like OBJ ,etc?....under the radar works just fine......who realistically gives a rat's azz where thy say we are anyways?.....16 games ahead.....

Knotted nylons and hissy fits?  How about the fact that this is a topic and many of us are simply engaging in the discussion?  Your post is a LOT more  more knotted nylons and hissy fits than my original post was that you replied to.

10 hours ago, SoTier said:

As per usual, the Bills true believers think these ratings are "trash" because they don't have the Bills ranked at the top of the heap even though the assessment snippet posted by berg1029 was pretty fair.    ?     There's no guarantee that Allen is going to become a successful NFL QB, although apparently many TSW posters believe differently.

Just out of curiosity...and I truly mean this...are you a Bills fan?  Or a passer-by fan of another team?  Either way it's totally cool but I honestly haven't been able to get a read on whether you are a Bills  fan or someone who just posts here due to proximity to the team or something (i.e. living in the area maybe).

Again, no issues either way but just trying to get a sense for whether you are a Bills fan or a casual passer by.

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s hilarious how nerds dismiss ESPN.  Louis Riddick and Field Yates are 2 of the smartest, non biased people working in sports journalism. 

Calling people nerds seems a little harsh.  Just because someone doesnt agree with your take doesnt mean they are a nerd (or insert other negative attack).  Please try to be more respectful to other posters.

10 hours ago, billsfan5121 said:

Dumb question because I can’t see any of the descriptions for each team. How in the world is NE #2? Their QB is in his 40s, there’s no replacement in place, their skill positions are questionable. I get they are good today, and will be a playoff team, but what is the future here? Next year? If so, sure NE should be highly regarded because Brady could be back. But if this is projecting 3-5 years, no way should they be that high. 

And here’s the reality. Once Brady retires, they will likely be coming off a winning season (unless the wheels come off while he’s playing). So the first year post Brady won’t have a rookie QB who was highly drafted, unless they trade the farm to move up. So they will likely be bad the first year minimum. Then, they can draft a guy. But then that takes a little time, and may not even work.  So maybe they end up in purgatory. Anyways, I just dont understand how they can be #2. If I was projecting the next 3-5 years, I could probably think of at least 15 teams I think are in better position to be good.

edit: I see this is for the next 3 years.  I still think NE at 2 is crazy. Would you rather have a 45 year old Brady (or him retired), or a 26-27 year old darnold, Wentz, Watson, mahomes, Allen, etc?

If they put another ring on, a championship and couple middling seasons would still be far better than average (ie at least 15 teams better). 

If just evaluating the 2022 season, I’d agree it’s a long shot for them to be top tier.

4 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I don’t hate Allen but any questioning of him gets pretty aggressively shouted down. So I tend to stay out of it. 

I think hes he’s got all the tools but still a coin flip on whether he’s the guy and don’t have much desire to argue about him being at a crossroad and qb development being rather fickle and unpredictable at this stage (IMO)

hes likable, and I wish him well. I don’t think many want to tear the guy down even if they have concerns.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

It's ESPN.  They're going with the law of averages.  Until the Bills have a team that doesn't suck, they will always be in the bottom third of these kinds of lists.

Sorry to say, but you are right. The Bills have to win consistently again to be considered.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I don’t hate Allen but any questioning of him gets pretty aggressively shouted down. So I tend to stay out of it. 

I think hes he’s got all the tools but still a coin flip on whether he’s the guy and don’t have much desire to argue about him being at a crossroad and qb development being rather fickle and unpredictable at this stage (IMO)

hes likable, and I wish him well. I don’t think many want to tear the guy down even if they have concerns.

I think that Allen's faults, and limitations, and the things he needs to improve upon are fairly well established, and agreed upon. There are only a few posters on here who genuinely seem to want him gone, and one in particular who will willfully misrepresent stats, and plays to push that agenda. But, in general, even the people on here who are especially wary of his limitations, and doubt his ability to become a franchise QB, are willing to see him play out, and are hopeful that he succeeds.

To call Allen "polarizing" seems crazy to me. Tyrod was polarizing. Peterman, and EJ Manuel were polarizing. There were people who were hard-core fans of those guys, and people who wanted them GONE.