ESPN's "Future Power Rankings"

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/27124949/nfl-future-power-rankings-projections-all-32-teams-next-three-years

They're talking about it on ESPN Radio right now, but because I don't have ESPN+, can't see the entire thing.

All I've pieced together from their discussion & other articles is:

1. Colts

2. Patriots

3. Eagles

8. Rams

9. Browns

10. Chargers

11. Bears

12. Vikings

14. Cowboys

21. Lions

27. Redskins

31. Giants

32... Dolphins lol

So if anyone can share what they discuss regarding the Bills, I'd be very interested. They go pretty deep with the breakdowns instead of the typical one-liners used for weekly power rankings, evaluating everything from their drafting to the front office, so I'd definitely like to see how they see the future of the Bills.

3 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

I can't quite decide which is more irrelevant, ESPN's "Future Power Rankings" or Madden Ratings.  Because honestly, I don't give a damn about either

That's fine. 

I enjoy reading various writer's opinions on the Bills, regardless of where they work. And if the breakdown is as thorough as it is with the Colts, then I'd definitely like to see what there opinion is of the organization going through the next 3 years.

• Like (+1) 2

1. Indianapolis Colts : 87.8

2. New England Patriots : 87.2

3. Philadelphia Eagles : 87.0

4. Kansas City Chiefs : 85.5

5. Seattle Seahawks : 84.9

6. Pittsburgh Steelers : 84.4

7. New Orleans Saints : 84.2

8. Los Angeles Rams : 82.8

9. Cleveland Browns : 81.9

10. Los Angeles Chargers : 80.9

11. Chicago Bears : 80.5

12. Minnesota Vikings : 80.4

13. Green Bay Packers : 79.6

14. Dallas Cowboys : 79.0

15. Atlanta Falcons : 78.4

16. Houston Texans : 77.6

17. Baltimore Ravens : 77.0

18. Carolina Panthers : 76.7

19. Tennessee Titans : 75.3

20. Oakland Raiders : 75.2

21. Detroit Lions : 74.5

22. Denver Broncos : 74.3

23. Buffalo Bills : 73.9

24. San Francisco 49ers : 73.6

25. Jacksonville Jaguars : 72.9

26. Tampa Bay Buccaneers : 72.0

27. Washington Redskins : 71.3

28. Cincinnati Bengals : 71.0

29. New York Jets : 70.8

30. Arizona Cardinals : 70.4

31. New York Giants : 69.1

32. Miami Dolphins : 65.4

23. Buffalo Bills
Overall score: 73.9

Why they're here: Few teams in the NFL have clearly defined their process like the Bills have, with head coach Sean McDermott and GM Brandon Beane in absolute lockstep. There is an emphasis on culture, a desire to build the core of the roster through draft and development to find the degree of toughness needed to play on this team. The plan is clear and the leadership is solid. The roster was augmented via free agency with a flurry of short-term deals, leaving room to build going forward. The progress of quarterback Josh Allen will dictate Buffalo's long-term fate more than anything else, as he needs to make accuracy strides. -- Yates

Biggest worry: Stop me if you have heard this one before: What happens at QB will determine what happens with this team. Two years ago, I didn't believe in Tyrod Taylor and they moved on. Last year, I was skeptical about Allen because of what I saw on tape from him in college. In 2019 and going forward, it's the same. I'm not an Allen believer, and for the sake of Buffalo fans, I hope I am wrong. He is wildly erratic as far as accuracy, is not dependable with his decision-making at this point and doesn't have a very impressive array of perimeter weapons he can get the ball to and allow them to carry the load. When you trade up to draft a franchise QB seventh overall, you expect to get a big return on investment in a short amount of time. The clock is ticking for Allen. -- Riddick

What could change for the better: The young talent on the Bills' defense could elevate this roster above the panel's projection. From linebacker Tremaine Edmunds (21) to nose tackle Ed Oliver (21) to cornerback Tre'Davious White (24), the Bills have some playmakers who could be hitting their peak in three seasons. Their defense alone could lift them into strong playoff contenders. -- Seifert

I'm assuming I'm allowed to just post the snippet about the Bills.  Someone tell me if I need to take this down

Edited by berg1029
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:
  1. Indianapolis Colts : 87.8

2. New England Patriots : 87.2

3. Philadelphia Eagles : 87.0

4. Kansas City Chiefs : 85.5

5. Seattle Seahawks : 84.9

6. Pittsburgh Steelers : 84.4

7. New Orleans Saints : 84.2

8. Los Angeles Rams : 82.8

9. Cleveland Browns : 81.9

10. Los Angeles Chargers : 80.9

11. Chicago Bears : 80.5

12. Minnesota Vikings : 80.4

13. Green Bay Packers : 79.6

14. Dallas Cowboys : 79.0

15. Atlanta Falcons : 78.4

16. Houston Texans : 77.6

17. Baltimore Ravens : 77.0

18. Carolina Panthers : 76.7

19. Tennessee Titans : 75.3

20. Oakland Raiders : 75.2

21. Detroit Lions : 74.5

22. Denver Broncos : 74.3

23. Buffalo Bills : 73.9

24. San Francisco 49ers : 73.6

25. Jacksonville Jaguars : 72.9

26. Tampa Bay Buccaneers : 72.0

27. Washington Redskins : 71.3

28. Cincinnati Bengals : 71.0

29. New York Jets : 70.8

30. Arizona Cardinals : 70.4

31. New York Giants : 69.1

32. Miami Dolphins : 65.4

Probably about right, but I think a case could be made to be as high as 17 or 18, I definitely don't think any lower.

Dumb question because I can’t see any of the descriptions for each team. How in the world is NE #2? Their QB is in his 40s, there’s no replacement in place, their skill positions are questionable. I get they are good today, and will be a playoff team, but what is the future here? Next year? If so, sure NE should be highly regarded because Brady could be back. But if this is projecting 3-5 years, no way should they be that high. 

And here’s the reality. Once Brady retires, they will likely be coming off a winning season (unless the wheels come off while he’s playing). So the first year post Brady won’t have a rookie QB who was highly drafted, unless they trade the farm to move up. So they will likely be bad the first year minimum. Then, they can draft a guy. But then that takes a little time, and may not even work.  So maybe they end up in purgatory. Anyways, I just dont understand how they can be #2. If I was projecting the next 3-5 years, I could probably think of at least 15 teams I think are in better position to be good.

edit: I see this is for the next 3 years.  I still think NE at 2 is crazy. Would you rather have a 45 year old Brady (or him retired), or a 26-27 year old darnold, Wentz, Watson, mahomes, Allen, etc?

Edited by billsfan5121
  • Like (+1) 4

As per usual, the Bills true believers think these ratings are "trash" because they don't have the Bills ranked at the top of the heap even though the assessment snippet posted by berg1029 was pretty fair.    ?     There's no guarantee that Allen is going to become a successful NFL QB, although apparently many TSW posters believe differently.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

As per usual, the Bills true believers think these ratings are "trash" because they don't have the Bills ranked at the top of the heap even though the assessment snippet posted by berg1029 was pretty fair.    ?     There's no guarantee that Allen is going to become a successful NFL QB, although apparently many TSW posters believe differently.

I don’t mind the Bills’ ranking. I think NEs is a joke 

4 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I don't think the ratings are "trash" but we have to remember they are just the opinions of three supposed "experts" (Louis Riddick, Kevin Seifert, and Field Yates) and not anything particularly scientific or analytic.  For example, in the Bills' snippet they praise the front office and how the GM and HC are in lock-step with how they want to build the roster and develop culture.  Quote:  "the plan is clear and the leadership is solid."  Then they give coaching a grade of 77.7 (14th) and front office a grade of 73.7 (19th)?  It makes no sense.

Is the Bills' roster (non-QB) really 26th in the league?  Have their drafts under the current regime really been 20th in the league?

The only Bills-related ranking I agree with is QB (26th) simply because Allen hasn't proven anything yet.

It's still the slow time for NFL news and ESPN has to create content.  I don't think these guys put nearly as much effort into truly evaluating each team as we may think they do.  The perennial playoff teams and favorites are always going to receive preferential treatment.  If these articles were being written in the 90s the Bills would have been in the top 3 every year.  To be the man you've got to beat the man.

This list is silly.  The Rams make the SB and 10th, the Pats not #1 even as much as I hate them, Saints not #3.  This list like almost every ESPN report is bunk.

I understand #23 as we haven’t done anything yet and was 6-10 last year, but this list will change as the season unfolds.

I think the future for our defense is extremely bright, but on offense what do we have?  An uncertain future at all skill positions and a polarizing young QB that you either love or hate.  No one has seen Cody Ford play and it’s hard to know what to think about Dawkins after a surprisingly strong rookie year followed up with limited progress beyond that in year 2.  Robert Foster and Zay showed flashes, but do either of them look like they can be a legitimate week in week out threat if other teams game plan for them as they do for the top ten #1s in the league.  So, I’m a perennial Bills optimist and I believe in Allen, but right here right now this assessment is fair.  

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

I think the future for our defense is extremely bright, but on offense what do we have?  An uncertain future at all skill positions and a polarizing young QB that you either love or hate.  No one has seen Cody Ford play and it’s hard to know what to think about Dawkins after a surprisingly strong rookie year followed up with limited progress beyond that in year 2.  Robert Foster and Zay showed flashes, but do either of them look like they can be a legitimate week in week out threat if other teams game plan for them as they do for the top ten #1s in the league.  So, I’m a perennial Bills optimist and I believe in Allen, but right here right now this assessment is fair.  

Funny how every team has a bright future except us.

It's ESPN.  They're going with the law of averages.  Until the Bills have a team that doesn't suck, they will always be in the bottom third of these kinds of lists.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think if Allen plays competently, like a slightly above average starter, we are golden. We should have the #1 rush offense in the NFL and I think we are going to have a top 10 defense. The question is, can Allen manage the game well and click on some of these play action passes to keep defenses honest? We don't need Allen to be a top 10 QB, hell if he is a top 12-15 QB then we should see the playoffs. We will have a good indication of our future once we start rolling through training camp. Can Allen take a baby step this year? That's the question.