Mitch Petrus, ex-NFL lineman who played for Patriots***, Giants and Titans, dies of heat stroke

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....shades of the Vikes' Corey Stringer tragedy........just terrible........

Shades of a Maryland college football player just 2 years ago. 

51 minutes ago, GG said:

I’ve reached the age where I can have this with me all the time in the summer, and not care what it looks like.

FML0001BLU.jpg

Just put on in your Fannie pack 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Living in FL, unfortunately this happens too often.  I honestly don’t know how the landscapers and roofers do it. I used to think these guys were crazy to get these monster drinks at 7/11, something greater than 64 oz. until I lived here long enough.  I’m sorry this guy who I don’t remember in the NFL passed needlessly as you can prevent this problem.

The worst are these people in poverty where there is no A/C and it is over 95 degrees most days for months.  I know in youth and high school football their training camps start at 6-9 pm each night.  It is just impossible to stay hydrated in this heat.  My oldest has played lax for 16 years as a middy, so he runs about 5-6 miles a game, and in tournaments will play three games in this heat all daY with a full set of pads.

We’ve been very fortunate to have excellent coaches who are religious about hydration.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

We’ve been very fortunate to have excellent coaches who are religious about hydration.

Ironic that 30 odd years ago, water was a reward / punishment tool.  Good sight we smartened up.  Hand me a salt tablet.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

4 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Ironic that 30 odd years ago, water was a reward / punishment tool.  Good sight we smartened up.  Hand me a salt tablet.

....as part of his real estate services company, my son does property maintenance......as part of his DAILY routine, he carries bottled water on ice, salt tablets, gatorade, pedeolyte and cold compress towels......before he adopted this routine, he dehyrdrated to the point of dizziness, having to go home to bed....you just cannot mess with this stuff..

• Like (+1) 3

I had to work on top of an 1500 degree furnace last weekend for 12 hours. The air temp was 125 - 130. I went through 3 gallons of water and never used the bathroom. I haven't felt that bad in a long time. 

We actually left the job partially undone for fear of someone getting sick. High temps like this heat wake are no joke. 

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:51 PM, BringBackFlutie said:

Was 99 today and yesterday in Reston.

My daughter lives in Herndon. Summers are really rough down there. It just seems to be MUCH hotter down there, even when it's only a few degrees different than In NY/Long Island.

Edited by Bill from NYC

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

My daughter lives in Herndon. Summers are really rough down there. It just seems to be MUCH hotter down there, even when it's only a few degrees different that In NY/Long Island.

It is.  Even when it's only in the 80s, the "feels like" will be in the 90s.  It's just SO hot here.  I'm not a heavy guy or a sweater or anything, but I will get sweat marks on my shirt walking from my office to the car.  In my parking garage at home, 3 floors below ground, it's in the high 80s all summer.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

My daughter lives in Herndon. Summers are really rough down there. It just seems to be MUCH hotter down there, even when it's only a few degrees different that In NY/Long Island.

NY/Long Island are always "cooler" than DC and its inland regions. 

(growing up) Even Rochester and Buffalo 85 seemed to be the normal high and getting to 90 was almost unheard of. 

DC's waterfront can be 5 degrees cooler than Loudoun County 30 to 50 miles from the Bay / Ocean. 

Easter to Mid October is "all summer" down here.  Temps of 50's & 60's only last a few weeks in late April and early May and from Mid October to early December. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/20/2019 at 10:14 AM, machine gun kelly said:

Living in FL, unfortunately this happens too often.  I honestly don’t know how the landscapers and roofers do it. I used to think these guys were crazy to get these monster drinks at 7/11, something greater than 64 oz. until I lived here long enough.  I’m sorry this guy who I don’t remember in the NFL passed needlessly as you can prevent this problem.

The worst are these people in poverty where there is no A/C and it is over 95 degrees most days for months.  I know in youth and high school football their training camps start at 6-9 pm each night.  It is just impossible to stay hydrated in this heat.  My oldest has played lax for 16 years as a middy, so he runs about 5-6 miles a game, and in tournaments will play three games in this heat all daY with a full set of pads.

My son did travel soccer, largely around Tampa. He’d have 2-3 games/day, then get up and do it again. They started hydrating days in advance, and in football two a days drink Pediolite. Brutal! 

In rec league a keeper sat down, then layed down one time. Everyone yelled to STAND UP! He did, then barfed.....just standing there, no running, but he had the extra keeper jersey on and it was dark colered. In rec league, that ends the game! 

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 6:06 AM, Geo in Pa said:

I lived in Little Rock for a few years back in the 90's , the summers were brutal, couldn't wait to get out of there. 

I was down there twice.....once in March/April for 5 weeks and once in September for 2 weeks.

In March there were crazy rain storms and scattered tornados. In April it started to get extremely hot. In September, it was blazing hot to the point where I couldn't sit outside even at night because the heat was just that extreme.

I am not going to badmouth Little Rock but let me say it was different than any place I have ever visited, and I didn't care so much for the weather. :)

On 7/20/2019 at 9:19 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Bear Bryant looked like he tried to kill the entire A&M program with it. Man looks like a lunatic. They made a movie about the Junction Boys.. one of the dumbest coaching ideas I have ever seen. Hard to believe this was tolerated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junction_Boys