Mitch Petrus, ex-NFL lineman who played for Patriots***, Giants and Titans, dies of heat stroke

https://www.masslive.com/patriots/2019/07/mitch-petrus-ex-nfl-lineman-who-played-for-new-england-patriots-new-york-giants-and-tennessee-titans-dies-of-heat-stroke.html

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Officials say former New York Giants offensive lineman Mitch Petrus has died in Arkansas of apparent heat stroke. He was 32.

Pulaski County Coroner Gerone Hobbs says Petrus died Thursday night at a North Little Rock hospital. He says Petrus had worked outside all day at his family shop, and that his cause of death is listed as heat stroke.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Sad 1

If I remember correctly he held the bench press record for a few years at 52, I think? Sad....it goes to show a strong, young person does not mean they're not susceptible to these types of injuries or harm. Wish his family nothing but peace and strength during their time of bereavement. 

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

https://www.masslive.com/patriots/2019/07/mitch-petrus-ex-nfl-lineman-who-played-for-new-england-patriots-new-york-giants-and-tennessee-titans-dies-of-heat-stroke.html

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Officials say former New York Giants offensive lineman Mitch Petrus has died in Arkansas of apparent heat stroke. He was 32.

Pulaski County Coroner Gerone Hobbs says Petrus died Thursday night at a North Little Rock hospital. He says Petrus had worked outside all day at his family shop, and that his cause of death is listed as heat stroke.

Sad to hear.  A number of years ago on a day like today I was not keeping myself properly hydrated and wound up going in an ambulance to the hospital for kidney stones.  

• Like (+1) 1

This kind of heat is no joke! Especially if you’re not used to it. I’m glad that it’s no longer macho to withhold water as football practices start to begin, but it seems you hear about something tragic pretty much every year. 

Way too young. RIP

1 hour ago, Augie said:

This kind of heat is no joke! Especially if you’re not used to it. I’m glad that it’s no longer macho to withhold water as football practices start to begin, but it seems you hear about something tragic pretty much every year. 

Way too young. RIP

Spent a summer there for a work file, cars had AC programmed to take it comfort levels on ignition turn on well before that was more common

its rice paddy territory

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Spent a summer there for a work file, cars had AC programmed to take it comfort levels on ignition turn on well before that was more common

its rice paddy territory

So, I’m guessing it not a “dry heat”. 

During college I worked construction in Hilton Head, SC one summer (and ONLY one). It was over 100 degrees every stinking day for 3 straight weeks. People were passing out on second floor roofs and falling off, breaking arms and legs in the fall. It was absolutely awful, and potentially lethal. (Also a tad dangerous was shooting 16 penny nails from the nail gun with the broken safety at guys running thru the woods, but that’s another story.) 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Augie said:

During college I worked construction in Hilton Head, SC one summer (and ONLY one). It was over 100 degrees every stinking day for 3 straight weeks. People were passing out on second floor roofs and falling off, breaking arms and legs in the fall. It was absolutely awful, and potentially lethal. (Also a tad dangerous was shooting 16 penny nails from the nail gun with the broken safety at guys running thru the woods, but that’s another story.) 

Humid and breathsucking 

far are more oppressive than Las Vegas in the summer

Office AC piped in from the ceiling would blow off any papers not firmly attached to the table

43 minutes ago, Augie said:

...GLAD you're still with us bro....."dry heat" or "dry cold" is a farce......went to college in the NYS Adirondacks where temps in the winter got down to -40 degrees (not talking wind chill)....dry cold my frozen azz......"dry heat" crap is the flip side IMO.......

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...GLAD you're still with us bro....."dry heat" or "dry cold" is a farce......went to college in the NYS Adirondacks where temps in the winter got down to -40 degrees (not talking wind chill)....dry cold my frozen azz......"dry heat" crap is the flip side IMO.......

I thought the humidity in Buffalo was getting worse in recent years, even worse in Chicago.

On 7/19/2019 at 5:47 PM, Rocket94 said:

I thought the humidity in Buffalo was getting worse in recent years, even worse in Chicago.

We lived in Florida, where 100% humidity was not unusual, when we took our first trip to Vegas. The helicopter pilot into the Grand Canyon said something like “because of all the pools and golf courses, humidity has increased from 2-4% to 8-10%”. WHAT?!?! I didn’t know that was even possible! I just knew that when you stepped outside it felt like you just opened the oven to check on your Thanksgiving turkey! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

We lived in Florida, where 100% humidity was not unusual, when we took our first trip to Vegas. The helicopter pilot into the Grand Canyon said something like “because of all the pools and golf courses, humidity has increased for 2-4% to 8-10%”. WHAT?!?! I didn’t know that was even possible! I just knew that when you stepped outside it felt like you just opened the oven to check on your Thanksgiving turkey! 

Yeah...too much for me. The older I get, I like it cool

• Like (+1) 1