Rafael Bush retires; Bills sign Kurt Coleman

CNY315

4 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I'm still a big fan of Siran Neal. I think he can be a force. We're good, plenty of depth.

....think he'll prove to be our "5th round magic pick" from 2018.......so far so good in the 5th with Meatball, Milano and possibly Joseph from 2019 class....and hopefully Taron Johnson is healthy despite being "a 4th (COUGH)"................

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

2 hours ago, Logic said:

People probably didn't think Bush had a good chance at making the roster last year over "bright young prospects" Neal and Marlowe, and yet...

You serious with Marlowe being a bright young prospect?  He wasn't even drafted by this team and is like mid 20s.  Don't think Dean Marlowe is ever thought of as someone this organization should absolutely keep around.

Neal made the team along with Bush.  Johnson is a much better prospect over Marlowe, who Bush beat out last year for a roster spot.

Not to mention, Alexander could be playing some safety too.

17 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....think he'll prove to be our "5th round magic pick" from 2018.......so far so good in the 5th with Meatball, Milano and possibly Joseph from 2019 class....and hopefully Taron Johnson is healthy despite being "a 4th (COUGH)"................

I think he can be an enforcer. Kind of guy WRs are going to be sure to watch out for and a guy that we can plug in the box. Never will be a star, but we don't need him to be. Just a thumper that can chop some heads. Worthwhile run defender.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I think he can be an enforcer. Kind of guy WRs are going to be sure to watch out for and a guy that we can plug in the box. Never will be a star, but we don't need him to be. Just a thumper that can chop some heads. Worthwhile run defender.

...just get this impression that the kid has a work ethic/shoulder chip to prove himself.......love to see that in a kid.......

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

That's fine, I was hoping he would be cut.  Big drop off in talent from Poyer and Hyde.  Should be easily replaceable.

He was a solid box safety. But he was played out of position as the slot corner when Johnson got shut down. He was definitely not good enough as a slot corner, but he was just filling in. I thought he was a good depth player.

Edited by MJS

1 hour ago, MJS said:

He was a solid box safety. But he was played out of position as the slot corner when Johnson got shut down. He was definitely not good enough as a slot corner, but he was just filling in. I thought he was a good depth player.

I seemed to recall him getting beat by his receiver fairly regularly.  I suppose he was good depth, but depth guys are like insurance...you don't want to have to use it.

2 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

You serious with Marlowe being a bright young prospect?  He wasn't even drafted by this team and is like mid 20s.  Don't think Dean Marlowe is ever thought of as someone this organization should absolutely keep around.

Neal made the team along with Bush.  Johnson is a much better prospect over Marlowe, who Bush beat out last year for a roster spot.

Not to mention, Alexander could be playing some safety too.

Fine. Forget Marlowe. Everyone last year had Siran Neal penciled in for playing time and Bush was an afterthought. Instead the opposite happened. 

Would it really surprise you that much if Kurt Coleman -- a guy who knows the playbook and is a proven contributor in the NFL and isn't THAT old at 31 -- gets playing time over 6th rounder Jaquan Johnson? Or if Coleman makes the roster while Johnson goes to the practice squad? I like Jaquan Johnson a lot, but he's a sixth rounder. C'mon, man. Meanwhile, Kurt Coleman has started over 80 games in the NFL and had his best seasons under Sean McDermott. It won't exactly be shocking if he leaps a late round rookie on the depth chart.

• Like (+1) 1

Here is a good interview with Coleman from when McDermott was first hired by the Bills. Safe to say he’s a big fan...

https://torontosun.com/2017/01/27/qa-panthers-coleman-on-strengths-of-new-bills-coach-mcdermott/wcm/7aa17fd7-eca7-4ee7-b86c-537ec92e073f

Q&A: Panthers' Coleman on strengths of new Bills coach McDermott

First, how much of a loss is McDermott to the Panthers, and to you personally?

“With any good coach, you hate to see them go. He helped make me a better player. Sean really has taken my game to the next level. Not just in helping me see the game from a different perspective, but also understanding the game a lot more. Most importantly I’m happy for him and his family. I truly am.”

What makes McDermott a good coach?

“Finding the players and putting them in the position to make plays, and he’s really detail-oriented. I think that’s the thing that I’ve enjoyed as a player. He’s going to be very detail-oriented. He’s going to demand that his team be very sound, on and off the field.”

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

He’s a much different type of safety than Bush is imo, but he’s an upgrade for this system, as long as he can still play.  McD always got the most out of him and he knows the system well.  Good signing imo.  

Then why wasn't he signed before?...

• Like (+1) 1

It looks like he had career earnings of about $9.6 million. That sounds like a lot. I hope he’s been smart with his money and has a plan going forward. First and foremost, I hope his health is not a terrible trigger here. Health comes first. Wealth is down the line. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I seemed to recall him getting beat by his receiver fairly regularly.  I suppose he was good depth, but depth guys are like insurance...you don't want to have to use it.

That's true. If you are good enough to play regularly you aren't called "good depth", you're called a starter.

This is quite a story. He was involved in an incident which paralyzed an Ohio State teammate during his freshman year.

Kurt Coleman's unbreakable bond with the teammate he paralyzed

THE COACHES' TAPE of the play, at first glance, seems almost innocuous, something approaching incidental contact. Gentry will later say he had been hit harder many times -- and walked away.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

No I'm asking the guy who portrays this as an upgrade...

Did you see Bush play last year?  He got picked on when our starters got hurt.  Coleman has been an effective starter in this league.  Bush has always been an underwhelming backup.  Maybe age has taken its toll on Coleman and he isn’t the player he was.......or maybe not.  It was my belief that Bush wasn’t even making the team this year.  I didn’t want to see he on the field in a Bills uni again (not to say Coleman won’t get cut either), but I’d rather have him based on his previous play and Bush’s play last year 

• Like (+1) 1

Sounds like a win for everyone. Kurt Coleman looks like a very solid pickup, and Bush gets to retire comfortably (I hope) at 32. 

Can you imagine retiring at 30-freaking-two, with millions in the bank?