Rafael Bush retires; Bills sign Kurt Coleman

CNY315

This is one of those afterthought signings that barely makes a blip on anyone's radar but turns out to have a crucial impact on the Bills defense. Coleman knows and has produced in McDermott's system and should replace Bush seamlessly.

I had though that Siran Neal and maybe even Jaquan Johnson would overtake Bush this year anyway, but now I'm not so sure. Coleman is a borderline starting level safety in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He is good depth, knows the system. McD really got him to elevate his game in Carolina similar to Poyer

My thinking was the same as Sal's - pretty sure Neal passed him on the depth chart before this, but either way I was, and still am, more excited to see Neal fill this position. Bush was primarily used in big nickel for QB/backfield pressure, and while he held the fort, I think Neal has more of the traits needed to fill that role - he's always been a big hitter and equally contributes on ST.

Kurt Coleman made one of my favorite college football plays of all time.  Toledo WR Eric Page caught a pass, Coleman caught him at the one yard line, held him up and stripped the ball that ended up preserving a shut out.  I couldn't find a highlight but it was great.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Logic said:

This is one of those afterthought signings that barely makes a blip on anyone's radar but turns out to have a crucial impact on the Bills defense. Coleman knows and has produced in McDermott's system and should replace Bush seamlessly.

I had though that Siran Neal and maybe even Jaquan Johnson would overtake Bush this year anyway, but now I'm not so sure. Coleman is a borderline starting level safety in the NFL.

I think that is a pretty big stretch.  I don't think he is on 53 man roster unless Neal or Johnson gets hurt.  Both of these young safeties have bright futures.  See no reason to cut either for a 31 year old safety who has not graded out well for last two years.

1 minute ago, Ittakestime said:

I think that is a pretty big stretch.  I don't think he is on 53 man roster unless Neal or Johnson gets hurt.  Both of these young safeties have bright futures.  See no reason to cut either for a 31 year old safety who has not graded out well for last two years.

Yep, and we already have leadership at that position.

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

That's fine, I was hoping he would be cut.  Big drop off in talent from Poyer and Hyde.  Should be easily replaceable.

He was actually solid last year

When Johnson got hurt he eventually took over the slot duties and was admirable. He was solid blitzing off the edge and in coverage. Even started 6-7 games

He was far from bad

He was a solid versatile backup to have far from a liability

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

People probably didn't think Bush had a good chance at making the roster last year over "bright young prospects" Neal and Marlowe, and yet...

Well...like someone else said...at least he didn't wait until the season and do it at halftime. Can this be considered an upgrade? Considering he has worked with McDermott it is a plus.

Edited by Rocket94