Saints' fan's lawsuit against NFL for "no call" gets OK to go to trial

I'm not linking to the pictures cause it will likely get me banned...if you're saying it was a frivolous lawsuit and have not seen the pictures of the burns, stop now and google it (nake sure there are no kids around, and brace yourself, it's really bad).

If you have not seen those pictures, and are commenting about the case being frivolous, and do not go look at the pictures, and continue to think that way, you are an uredeemable dolt sheep. 

McDonald's went on a huge media campaign to tarnish this woman, and it resulted in huge changes to how people can hold corporations accountable. You now have to go to arbitration where the company wins like 90% of the time, and they have massive limits on damages that are in many cases laughably low. Do some research, tort reform is a huge power grab by corporations that achieved this through bribing elected officials through donations.

She has black holes in her skin across her thighs that are mad deep. Imagine it was a car accident and it spilled on a babies face. Go look at the fing pictures and come back and tell me it was a frivolous case.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I don’t disagree with most of that.

But boy was that about as bad a call as possible. Just awful. It didn’t ruin my year or anything but on a practical level you hate to see one so blatant in such a big moment. 

One thing that does stick with me though is that I’m quick to point out humanity of the officials and that a bang bang play at a weird angle can be incredibly tough and perfection can’t be the expectation... this one felt like “I’m not throwing a flag no matter what” and I dislike that. I’ll stomach “if I’m not positive I’m not calling it,” but this felt even past that, and should’ve had consequences for the officials. 

This happens in every sport. In basketball, hockey, soccer they all swallow the whistle. I don't like it a penalty is a penalty, yet the suing over it is atrocious.

Saints fans are an embarrassment.

16 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Wow, now that is stupid. The equivalent of spillin hot coffee on yourself and sueing them.

The scar is too gross to post on here but she had a legitimate gripe.

2 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

I'm not linking to the pictures cause it will likely get me banned...if you're saying it was a frivolous lawsuit and have not seen the pictures of the burns, stop now and google it (nake sure there are no kids around, and brace yourself, it's really bad).

If you have not seen those pictures, and are commenting about the case being frivolous, and do not go look at the pictures, and continue to think that way, you are an uredeemable dolt sheep. 

McDonald's went on a huge media campaign to tarnish this woman, and it resulted in huge changes to how people can hold corporations accountable. You now have to go to arbitration where the company wins like 90% of the time, and they have massive limits on damages that are in many cases laughably low. Do some research, tort reform is a huge power grab by corporations that achieved this through bribing elected officials through donations.

She has black holes in her skin across her thighs that are mad deep. Imagine it was a car accident and it spilled on a babies face. Go look at the fing pictures and come back and tell me it was a frivolous case.

Disregard previous post as this person has way more ambition than I do.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The scar is too gross to post on here but she had a legitimate gripe.

Disregard previous post as this person has way more ambition than I do.

Dont be dumb enough to put a hot cup of coffee between your legs.  Someones own stupidity shouldnt be dismissed in these cases.

6 hours ago, Say When... said:

Quoting Wikipedia as a legitimate source?  Really?  Don’t get me wrong, some of the contributions may have merit but let’s consider there’s potential bias in that piece.

Ill give you credit for making the effort and appreciate you have passion around this but it’s still on her as far as I’m concerned, and my conviction is enough to say i’d Feel the same way as if it was my own family.

I wasn’t defending her.  I was just sending you the story to read up on it.

14 hours ago, RiotAct said:

you should look up the details of that case... it wasn’t that cut-and-dry

Just like sueing tobacco companies, anyone that didnt know breathing smoke and chemicals on your lungs is bad for you is an idiot.  We make choices and we should accept responsability for them.

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Dont be dumb enough to put a hot cup of coffee between your legs.  Someones own stupidity shouldnt be dismissed in these cases.

Don't be dumb enough to serve coffee at 180 to 190 degrees per the employee handbook (which would cause 3rd degree burns). Don't be dumb enough to ignore over 700+ other incidents where the people were injured from your coffee

9 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Not a good analogy. If you spill the coffee on yourself that's clearly your fault. But if the cup falls apart like the umps ability to spot a blatant PI then that's different. The argument is that people invest in tickets etc. with a clear expectation that the game will be called fairly according to the published rule set.  

Clearly the case is not going anywhere but I applaud the Saints fans. How else can fans try and even the playing field. If the missed/wrong calls were truly random then the same few teams wouldn't be the beneficiaries every time. Based on the way the calls went I think that the NFL wanted NE & LA in the Superbowl. 

Just brushed up on it.  She took the lid off with the coffee between her knees to put cream in it,  Then she spilled on herself.  I agree with this situation being different but the football fans experienced no losses and anyone gambling assumed the risk.

You being a Bills fan want them to win because we would have one hell of a class action, but to error is a human element.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Did you ever hear the real story behind this?

McDonald's supposedly was brewing their coffee's way, way too hot.  An elderly lady spilled it on her lap, caused severe burns and she was hospitalized because of it.

She originally just asked them (McDonalds) to pay the medical bills.  McDonald's refused and she got a Lawyer.  She won because the temp that McDonald's was making their coffee....I think something like it was above the safety standards or something like that.  

She got burned really, really bad from what I understand.

There were other complaints as well, however one should not attempt to do what she did.  It was foolish.

4 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Except that was a legitimate case the lady won.  The coffee was brewed/served at WAY too high a temperature, and I'm not sure but there may have been something about the lid not being secured properly. 

She wound up with actual horrible burns on her lap and groin.  And they did come down on her for spilling it on herself, ruling she was 20% at fault thus losing that percentage of the money awarded. 

Because of the case, it became mandated that they actually implement safety protocols to make sure coffee is served at a temperature that won't cause third degree burns to your crotch should there be an accident. 

TLDR, the meme of frivolously suing over coffee is a myth.

It isnt unreasonable to expect people to not put hot coffee between their legs.  Just because the jurors were idiots doesnt mean it wasnt frivolous.

5 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

It's weird to see people still operating under the belief that NRC just horribly misplayed the ball.

He straight up admitted he committed the foul on purpose.  Something about he didn't think he was in position to make a play on the ball so went after the man or something to that effect.

So that means it should warrant a lawsuit?

46 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

There were other complaints as well, however one should not attempt to do what she did.  It was foolish.

It isnt unreasonable to expect people to not put hot coffee between their legs.  Just because the jurors were idiots doesnt mean it wasnt frivolous.

You're just jealous you didn't burn your legs.

I've seen your posts, I could definitely see you stuffing your face with food from a drive thru with a cup of coffee between your legs.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

51 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Dont you think it was foolish of McDonalds to serve coffee 20-30 degrees hotter than other places after over 700 complaints? You blame the victim when these were easily fixable things McDonalds could have solved.

10 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

There's certainly a line.

And we do this to ourselves on both sides of the line. People seriously buy coffee, don't drink it for 2 hours, and then call back to complain that it's not hot enough in hopes of getting a free coffee.

Same with NFL fans. The same people cry about not getting calls while simultaneously crying about there being too many flags. I've seen real-life idiots actually do this.

The loudest people do this.

Rational people couldn't care less, but the NFL is forced to take action on it.

The NFL still hasn't addressed to root cause of many officiating issues: the referree hiring system. They need to pay good money for full-time refs. It should probably be handled by a contracted third party.

If a lawsuit could cause that result, I'd say it was worth it.

Simply asking for an apology from the NFL is not worth it.

I agree +1.

Independent accounting firms handle lotteries.  Why not get certified, independent companies to handle refs!

How is anything ever going to change if people are complicit with the crappy & egregious results?

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Worth a shot, need to make the NFL more accountable for obvious calls that cost a championship. New Orleans definitely should have went to the Superbowl.

As crazy as this thread seems as we endure our NFL drought, with more states legalizing gambling and looking to curb underground illegal gambling, there has already been some federal hearings regarding oversight of the industry.

If there ever is state or federal oversight, I imagine they will use techniques like Nevada's gaming commission claims to use to spot irregular betting.

Of course the existing institutions in Nevada, and the few Indian organizations that have grown fat and happy with their virtual gambling monopoly sans transparent oversight are strongly opposed to that idea.

Our government of course sees money flowing that they have not tapped into?

• Thank you (+1) 1