Saints' fan's lawsuit against NFL for "no call" gets OK to go to trial

8 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Wow, now that is stupid. The equivalent of spillin hot coffee on yourself and sueing them.

Did you ever hear the real story behind this?

McDonald's supposedly was brewing their coffee's way, way too hot.  An elderly lady spilled it on her lap, caused severe burns and she was hospitalized because of it.

She originally just asked them (McDonalds) to pay the medical bills.  McDonald's refused and she got a Lawyer.  She won because the temp that McDonald's was making their coffee....I think something like it was above the safety standards or something like that.  

She got burned really, really bad from what I understand.

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Did you ever hear the real story behind this?

McDonald's supposedly was brewing their coffee's way, way too hot.  An elderly lady spilled it on her lap, caused severe burns and she was hospitalized because of it.

She originally just asked them (McDonalds) to pay the medical bills.  McDonald's refused and she got a Lawyer.  She won because the temp that McDonald's was making their coffee....I think something like it was above the safety standards or something like that.  

She got burned really, really bad from what I understand.

No sympathy from me, she spilled it, she knew it was hot, the degree of hot shouldn't be the factor, there's risk regardless.  now if you find someone in the company that blows the whistle, well, y'all know the outcome.

It's like hitting your thumb with a hammer and suing the manufacturer for making intentionally too hard, i mean really, let's be objective about it; people shouldn't be able to sue for their shortcomings or stupidity, and there's a shocking amount of stupidity out there.  Frozen pizzas have "remove pizza from all packaging" and "do not eat frozen" on the instructions, why?  because someone will toss it in the oven and burn their house down.  Enforce accountability for christs sake.

and if any of you recall that case kicked off the frivolous lawsuit clause whereas a judge could decision and turn around disciplinary action on the plaintiff and we desperately needed that, at least in California and i'm sure in other places as well.

human side me feels sorry for her experience, and yes McD was dumb to not just help out when it was a civil request, but she needs to be accountable for knowing it's hot and not to drop the damn thing in your lap.

lastly regarding my lack of sympathy - she went overboard on her pain and suffering ask, if it was "just fix it" she should have stopped at a reasonable amount.

Edited by Say When...
typo
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Say When... said:

No sympathy from me, she spilled it, she knew it was hot, the degree of hot shouldn't be the factor, there's risk regardless.  now if you find someone in the company that blows the whistle, well, y'all know the outcome.

It's like hitting your thumb with a hammer and suing the manufacturer for making intentionally too hard, i mean really, let's be objective about it; people shouldn't be able to sue for their shortcomings or stupidity, and there's a shocking amount of stupidity out there.  Frozen pizzas have "remove pizza from all packaging" and "do not eat frozen" on the instructions, why?  because someone will toss it in the oven and burn their house down.  Enforce accountability for christs sake.

and if any of you recall that case kicked off the frivolous lawsuit clause whereas a judge could decision and turn around disciplinary action on the plaintiff and we desperately needed that, at least in California and i'm sure in other places as well.

human side me feels sorry for her experience, and yes McD was dumb to not just help out when it was a civil request, but she needs to be accountable for knowing it's hot and not to drop the damn thing in your lap.

lastly regarding my lack of sympathy - she went overboard on her pain and suffering ask, if it was "just fix it" she should have stopped at a reasonable amount.

Here’s the story here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants

5 minutes ago, Say When... said:

There's certainly a line.

And we do this to ourselves on both sides of the line. People seriously buy coffee, don't drink it for 2 hours, and then call back to complain that it's not hot enough in hopes of getting a free coffee.

Same with NFL fans. The same people cry about not getting calls while simultaneously crying about there being too many flags. I've seen real-life idiots actually do this.

The loudest people do this.

Rational people couldn't care less, but the NFL is forced to take action on it.

The NFL still hasn't addressed to root cause of many officiating issues: the referree hiring system. They need to pay good money for full-time refs. It should probably be handled by a contracted third party.

If a lawsuit could cause that result, I'd say it was worth it.

Simply asking for an apology from the NFL is not worth it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Calls are missed--it doesn't mean that the game is being called "unfairly"

I agree that calls are missed. I also believe that some teams or players routinely get the benefit of calls at key times in critical games. Tom Brady is one of those players. I do believe that the Patriots have only won certain games because other teams got hosed by missed or phantom calls. The Steelers is another one of those teams.  

Do you really think that the Patriots get the same level of wrong calls against them as they get in their favor? 

47 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Quoting Wikipedia as a legitimate source?  Really?  Don’t get me wrong, some of the contributions may have merit but let’s consider there’s potential bias in that piece.

Ill give you credit for making the effort and appreciate you have passion around this but it’s still on her as far as I’m concerned, and my conviction is enough to say i’d Feel the same way as if it was my own family.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Nope, he was born to be a personal injury attorney. We all have a calling and that’s his. It’s working out quite well for him. 

Personal injury lawyers have to be aggressive and fearless. They usually have to go against well resourced establishment institutions such as insurance companies, hospitals, doctors, police etc. The case you were describing is a waste of time and plugs up the already slow moving legal system. This is a case that is frivolous and lacks merit. He is a grandstander who I am not going to give much deference to. 

36 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I agree that calls are missed. I also believe that some teams or players routinely get the benefit of calls at key times in critical games. Tom Brady is one of those players. I do believe that the Patriots have only won certain games because other teams got hosed by missed or phantom calls. The Steelers is another one of those teams.  

Do you really think that the Patriots get the same level of wrong calls against them as they get in their favor? 

No but so what?  Same is true in NBA forever.  That’s how it is.  Winners get the calls.  You can’t sue over that

7 hours ago, MJS said:

Yes. I believe the person in question required skin grafts or something like that. And the restaurant allowed their coffee to reach dangerously high temps. And the person sued for not that much money, like just to cover the cost of medical bills.

Skin grafts is a bit of an understatement. I worked with a guy who was friends with someone working for the firm the woman was using. Said the coffee was so hot that her “lips” were fused together. 

Now, I’m not one for people being so stupid and they should know better. But that’s some damn hot coffee. 

Edited by mrags

6 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

I'm more of a William Mattar guy.

Frivolous lawsuit.  Everyone in those days knew that you didn't pour coffee on your lap until AFTER it cools, ESPECIALLY McDonald's coffee.

Seriously though, it was frivolous.  Caveat Emptor. 

She didn't pour coffee in her lap.  It spilled when she ha the cup between her legs.  There can be no food product sold to the public that is hot enough to cause full thickness burns.  McDonalds knew this was the case and kept selling it anyway.

Not frivolous---it was a slam dunk case once the jury heard the above...

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It also wasn't a scoring play though.     That one play didn't entirely decide the outcome of the game like the MCM did. 

Personally I think this is all a joke and the Saints had like 80+ other offensive plays in that game to distance themselves from a Rams team that they had a massive homefield advantage over.    Should a Rams fan have brought a lawsuit against the Saints for pumping in crowd noise if they lost?    The NFL has all manner of gray areas and officiating is just one of them.

When people start realizing that the objective of the game is to provide a clear and obvious winner they will start understanding that you can't blame officiating for deciding who the better team is by virtue of one or two plays.    When I let that "this call cost us the game" nonsense go I stopped getting mad about officiating.    EVER.   Win the game outright.   If you don't then you are leaving yourself subject to bad breaks and human error.

I don’t disagree with most of that.

But boy was that about as bad a call as possible. Just awful. It didn’t ruin my year or anything but on a practical level you hate to see one so blatant in such a big moment. 

One thing that does stick with me though is that I’m quick to point out humanity of the officials and that a bang bang play at a weird angle can be incredibly tough and perfection can’t be the expectation... this one felt like “I’m not throwing a flag no matter what” and I dislike that. I’ll stomach “if I’m not positive I’m not calling it,” but this felt even past that, and should’ve had consequences for the officials. 

2 hours ago, Say When... said:

Quoting Wikipedia as a legitimate source?  Really?  Don’t get me wrong, some of the contributions may have merit but let’s consider there’s potential bias in that piece.

Ill give you credit for making the effort and appreciate you have passion around this but it’s still on her as far as I’m concerned, and my conviction is enough to say i’d Feel the same way as if it was my own family.

If there are stats in it and @Royale with Cheese referenced it then you can rest assured there are inaccuracies and/or misinterpreted data.:lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

But boy was that about as bad a call as possible. Just awful. It didn’t ruin my year or anything but on a practical level you hate to see one so blatant in such a big moment. 

One thing that does stick with me though is that I’m quick to point out humanity of the officials and that a bang bang play at a weird angle can be incredibly tough and perfection can’t be the expectation... this one felt like “I’m not throwing a flag no matter what” and I dislike that. I’ll stomach “if I’m not positive I’m not calling it,” but this felt even past that, and should’ve had consequences for the officials. 

It was just a terrible football play, IMO.    Terrible decision to throw that ball there by Brees.........should have been a pick six.........and almost bailed out by a surreal bonehead misplay by NRC

And instead all players responsible taken off the hook by the awful mis-call.  

You may get the feel that the official intentionally didn't throw the flag..............my take  was that NRC so terribly misplayed that ball that the official was stunned and doubted his eyes and held the flag. 

We just assume these officials are prepared for everything but in what situation does a CB in that position just run thru a receiver a full second or more before the ball gets there?   This wasn't 40 yards downfield with a CB in hopeless pursuit.......this play was happening in front of NRC eyes.........he was the one with the quickest path to that football and the moment it was thrown I was thinking pick six.

It should never have happened and I think the degree of misplay surprised officials who in truth are rapidly narrowing down the possibile outcomes in their head as plays transpire in order to make decisive calls.    You could even factor in the surprise of Brees throwing such a dangerous pass there.   

IMO....it was just a shitztorm of bad, ugly football at a time when you are hoping and expecting to see greatness..........that disgusted me, not the perceived injustice.

14 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Where I am at.

I can go along with a close call gone wrong, but that was blatent no call with nothing in the way of viewing it.

And our boy Nickell seemed completely fine doing something that normally would draw a hail of laundry and put the Saints on the doorstep of the goal line with a fresh set of downs. He did not even pretend he was looking back for the ball....

It is entertainment, and there is betting, viewership, and new stadiums to build. It is not that far fetched that some games are fixed. I still enjoy watching my Bills play.

13 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Wow, now that is stupid. The equivalent of spillin hot coffee on yourself and sueing them.

Except that was a legitimate case the lady won.  The coffee was brewed/served at WAY too high a temperature, and I'm not sure but there may have been something about the lid not being secured properly. 

She wound up with actual horrible burns on her lap and groin.  And they did come down on her for spilling it on herself, ruling she was 20% at fault thus losing that percentage of the money awarded. 

Because of the case, it became mandated that they actually implement safety protocols to make sure coffee is served at a temperature that won't cause third degree burns to your crotch should there be an accident. 

TLDR, the meme of frivolously suing over coffee is a myth.

It's weird to see people still operating under the belief that NRC just horribly misplayed the ball.

He straight up admitted he committed the foul on purpose.  Something about he didn't think he was in position to make a play on the ball so went after the man or something to that effect.

31 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

It's weird to see people still operating under the belief that NRC just horribly misplayed the ball.

He straight up admitted he committed the foul on purpose.  Something about he didn't think he was in position to make a play on the ball so went after the man or something to that effect.

He thought he blew the play and was at least saving a TD.

The irony being the flag coming out creating 1st and goal under a minute and tied... I’d bet statistically speaking that giving up a TD and getting the ball is better than letting them run out the clock with a chip shot 20 yard fg to win it as time runs out. 

He made a series of terrible choices and got totally bailed out 

saints had had plenty of chances to win, but the gravity of this bad call erased a couple other really big no calls down the stretch that were game changers too. 

Edited by NoSaint