Saints' fan's lawsuit against NFL for "no call" gets OK to go to trial

19 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

you should look up the details of that case... it wasn’t that cut-and-dry

Yes. I believe the person in question required skin grafts or something like that. And the restaurant allowed their coffee to reach dangerously high temps. And the person sued for not that much money, like just to cover the cost of medical bills.

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

Yes. I believe the person in question required skin grafts or something like that. And the restaurant allowed their coffee to reach dangerously high temps. And the person sued for not that much money, like just to cover the cost of medical bills.

Who put the top on?  Did they put the top on?

4 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

It will be impossible to prove "fraud".  And what does he think he will get from Goodell in deposition?  "Yeah, it was the wrong call.  That happens". 

Bizarre legal theory for this old goofball fanboy.

4 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Wow, now that is stupid. The equivalent of spillin hot coffee on yourself and sueing them.

Not really.  McDonald's had real liability in that case because they were serving that coffee way too hot--and it was proven that they knew this.  In fact they had been sued hundreds of times over burns from too hot coffee and had already paid out hundred's of thousands of dollars in settlements.  Their own quality officer testified he told the company their food was being served to hot.

That was an easy win for the plaintiff. 

2 hours ago, Billzfan23 said:

call 888-8888

I'm more of a William Mattar guy.

55 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not really.  McDonald's had real liability in that case because they were serving that coffee way too hot--and it was proven that they knew this.  In fact they had been sued hundreds of times over burns from too hot coffee and had already paid out hundred's of thousands of dollars in settlements.  Their own quality officer testified he told the company their food was being served to hot.

Frivolous lawsuit.  Everyone in those days knew that you didn't pour coffee on your lap until AFTER it cools, ESPECIALLY McDonald's coffee.

Seriously though, it was frivolous.  Caveat Emptor. 

1 hour ago, Tenhigh said:

Frivolous lawsuit.  Everyone in those days knew that you didn't pour coffee on your lap until AFTER it cools, ESPECIALLY McDonald's coffee.

Is that the 444-4444 guy? I always assumed he was half as good. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, NoSaint said:

While I widely agree... the stakes in a moment like that for a multi billion dollar industry are much more than just a game. It’s always a weird balance between the two. If the titans tossed the ball 8 yards forward and it was the AFCCG I suspect the reaction would be different. It just wasn’t even in the proximity of a borderline call.

It also wasn't a scoring play though.     That one play didn't entirely decide the outcome of the game like the MCM did. 

Personally I think this is all a joke and the Saints had like 80+ other offensive plays in that game to distance themselves from a Rams team that they had a massive homefield advantage over.    Should a Rams fan have brought a lawsuit against the Saints for pumping in crowd noise if they lost?    The NFL has all manner of gray areas and officiating is just one of them.

When people start realizing that the objective of the game is to provide a clear and obvious winner they will start understanding that you can't blame officiating for deciding who the better team is by virtue of one or two plays.    When I let that "this call cost us the game" nonsense go I stopped getting mad about officiating.    EVER.   Win the game outright.   If you don't then you are leaving yourself subject to bad breaks and human error.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Ha ha, I’ve said this before but one of my best friends is the plaintiff in the case. He’s an unapologetic ambulance chaser. 

Correction: Never mind, this is a different lawsuit. He was the plaintiff on the original one.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Ha ha, I’ve said this before but one of my best friends is the plaintiff in the case. He’s an unapologetic ambulance chaser. 

Correction: Never mind, this is a different lawsuit. He was the plaintiff on the original one.

You need to stop hanging around these shady hustlers. If his girlfriend finds you more appealing is he going to sue you for emotional damage? One of these days this con friend of yours is going to have a legitimate claim in which he was actually injured, and based on his reputation for fraud the jury is not going to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You need to stop hanging around these shady hustlers. If his girlfriend finds you more appealing is he going to sue you for emotional damage? One of these days this con friend of yours is going to have a legitimate claim in which he was actually injured, and based on his reputation for fraud the jury is not going to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

Nope, he was born to be a personal injury attorney. We all have a calling and that’s his. It’s working out quite well for him. 

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

It will be impossible to prove "fraud".  And what does he think he will get from Goodell in deposition?  "Yeah, it was the wrong call.  That happens". 

Bizarre legal theory for this old goofball fanboy.

2 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

Isnt the real crime here that McDonald’s coffee tasted so lousey people were dumping it out instead of drinking it? 

8 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Wow, now that is stupid. The equivalent of spillin hot coffee on yourself and sueing them.

Not a good analogy. If you spill the coffee on yourself that's clearly your fault. But if the cup falls apart like the umps ability to spot a blatant PI then that's different. The argument is that people invest in tickets etc. with a clear expectation that the game will be called fairly according to the published rule set.  

Clearly the case is not going anywhere but I applaud the Saints fans. How else can fans try and even the playing field. If the missed/wrong calls were truly random then the same few teams wouldn't be the beneficiaries every time. Based on the way the calls went I think that the NFL wanted NE & LA in the Superbowl. 

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yup, McDonalds knowingly served the coffee much hotter as they thought it would come to temperature by the time it was ready to be served to the customer. They feared people drinking lukewarm coffee and complaining. They got it ridiculously wrong.

15 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Isnt the real crime here that McDonald’s coffee tasted so lousey people were dumping it out instead of drinking it? 

I don't drink coffee, so it's all piss to me.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Not a good analogy. If you spill the coffee on yourself that's clearly your fault. But if the cup falls apart like the umps ability to spot a blatant PI then that's different. The argument is that people invest in tickets etc. with a clear expectation that the game will be called fairly according to the published rule set.  

Clearly the case is not going anywhere but I applaud the Saints fans. How else can fans try and even the playing field. If the missed/wrong calls were truly random then the same few teams wouldn't be the beneficiaries every time. Based on the way the calls went I think that the NFL wanted NE & LA in the Superbowl. 

Not even close.  The missed PI was the most glaring no call in most viewers' memory.   It was stunning.

Plus, if Dee Ford had not lined up 3 feet into the neutral zone (or if Andy Reid could coach the last 2 minutes of a playoff game better than the cotton candy vender he's leering at), Chiefs win.

Calls are missed--it doesn't mean that the game is being called "unfairly".  You are implying the game was fixed.  Fans can't sue because of missed calls.

Maybe the NFL will call a couple dozen Rams fans as character witnesses to assure the jury the game was called just right and that they were completely satisfied.