Many think Beane believes Allen should model his game after Cam Newton... but he hints it’s actually Russell Wilson

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Well, Russ is a very accurate passer and that wasn’t Cam’s strength ... I like that he wants him to model his game after him as to “when” to run but I don’t see many other similarities to Russ

Ditto this, but the biggest difference is Russ ISN’T as fast or as clever a runner as what we’ve seen Allen be. Both are exceptional in freeing themselves behind the pocket. Both look to pass 1st, but Josh KNOWS quickly he can get a lot of yards tucking it in and running if the majority of defenders are away from him. He didn’t intend to bust off 50 yard scampers. They just developed and he took advantage of them. Either Wilson doesn’t recognize these opportunities or he’s just thinking ‘get down’ at the 1st opposition.

I’ve  said it before. We have a FREAK playing QB. Never seen ANYONE like him and I’m older than dirt. I realize the brass is concerned for his safety. I just wish everyone would stop trying to make references to other players. There ISN’T a comparison. Never has been.

2 hours ago, Chemical said:

Dk metcalf will have 10TDs at least next year. How many yards will Devin singletary have ?

I don't know man, I liked Metcalf too, but considering this is what he looks like against air right now:

I don't see him scoring 10 TDs this year. He's raw as can be.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

See this is what terrifies me.  I think Daboll, who has been awful at every stop besides NE, is going to force fit Allen into a Brady type style.  IMO, I think this will severely hurt Allen.  He’s not that type of player.  It reminds me of the hiring of Dennison (who had a better offense than Daboll) forcing Tyrod into a west coast offense.  What good coaches do is place their players in the best places to succeed.  Allen will never be a precision passer so why force him into that?

Well, I am wired to be optimistic, so maybe I'm all wet, but I don't have any fear whatsoever that Daboll is going to try and turn Josh Allen into Frankenbrady.  Daboll demonstrated the ability at Alabama to build an offense that fit both the personnel at Alabama and Nick Saban's strong feelings about offense.  Daboll is a product of all the places he's been, including New England.  He's never had the kind of personnel he has now, and I think we're going to see some New England and some Alabama in the Bills this season.  I don't know that Josh Allen is going to have Tom Brady's timing and short area accuracy, but I think he's going to be better at both than last year.  My biggest reason for optimism is that I think Josh Allen has the mental accumen to handle anything and everything that Brian Daboll can dream up to go with the physical ability to make it work.  I do expect to see a fair number of Bradyesque plays in the Bills' offense, but I also expect to see plays that remind us of what Kliff Kingsbury will be installing in Arizona.

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

The article does say that about hinting he should model his game after Wilson. But there's no mention of Newton in the article whatsoever. Bringing in Newton was pure Yolo, with neither the writer or Beane dropping the name.

But the only thing Beane appears to have been mentioning Wilson for is to say that Wilson builds his game around passing, not running. I'm sure in that sense, yeah, they'd like to have him be more like Wilson.

But they're two very different players in style, build, skill set ... Both great runners, but that's about it for their similarities. Wilson's rookie year completion percentage was 64.7%. That was good for 9th in the league that year, and he got that while maintaining a much higher YPA than Allen did, 7.9 for Wilson compared to 6.5 for Allen. Wilson and Allen started with wildly different strengths to build on and weaknesses to improve.

Correct, I said many think they selected a player who had similarities to Cam, and are modeling the offense after the Panthers. it’s been discussed a lot. Hopefully thread title was clear.  As far as Beane “hinting” about it being Russell Wilson, that was the reporter’s title 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Ditto this, but the biggest difference is Russ ISN’T as fast or as clever a runner as what we’ve seen Allen be. Both are exceptional in freeing themselves behind the pocket. Both look to pass 1st, but Josh KNOWS quickly he can get a lot of yards tucking it in and running if the majority of defenders are away from him. He didn’t intend to bust off 50 yard scampers. They just developed and he took advantage of them. Either Wilson doesn’t recognize these opportunities or he’s just thinking ‘get down’ at the 1st opposition.

I’ve  said it before. We have a FREAK playing QB. Never seen ANYONE like him and I’m older than dirt. I realize the brass is concerned for his safety. I just wish everyone would stop trying to make references to other players. There ISN’T a comparison. Never has been.

Whoa, what?  Are we all talking about the Russell Wilson that plays for the Seattle Seahawks?

He has a career 645 rushes for 3651 yards and 16 TDs.  His career has been spent behind really bad O-lines. He is the most elusive QB in the NFL.   He's not a "get down at the first opportunity QB".  Who could have watched him play and come to the above conclusion??

Allen's mobility is a nice surprise. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Whoa, what?  Are we all talking about the Russell Wilson that plays for the Seattle Seahawks?

He has a career 645 rushes for 3651 yards and 16 TDs.  His career has been spent behind really bad O-lines. He is the most elusive QB in the NFL.   He's not a "get down at the first opportunity QB".  Who could have watched him play and come to the above conclusion??

Allen's mobility is a nice surprise. 

Who? Me. Certainly early on he ‘shook up the World’. Not so much in recent years. Allen may follow this career trajectory, but not for a while.

I’ve actually been riding Panther’s fans at work, calling JA “ Cam 2.0”.

When Cam came out he started under Chud chucking the ball downfield, kinda like JA last year. 

Cam has an arm( or did) and has accuracy issues on the short touch passes though Turner turned that around for him last year before he got injured.

I do not want to see JA relied upon to create a running game like CN has for far too long.

I don’t think that is where the Bills are headed with him but both QBs play a similar game with similar strengths and weaknesses.

He's better than all of them as a runner. I can't count how many times he turned an "oh crap" moment into a "thata boy!" I think he'll be solid this year, just not at a Pro Bowl level. He needs to dump them passes off to the RBs and WRs this year, the hero ball will get his ACL blown eventually. That's why we brought in Beasley, Singletary and Yeldon. Maybe run options.

14 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

Beane WANTS Allen to play more like Russ but its pretty clear which of the two QBs he plays most like. Does that mean he will for the rest of his career? Remains to be seen but this kid's ceiling to me, IN MY OPINION (relax guys don't get upset), is to have a Cam-like career with SLIGHTLY better passing stats. 

Cam COULD have had amazing passing stats if Shula hadn’t been his OC for so many years.

The option play was a staple of the O and Cam took a double beating due to below average O-Lines and Refs allowing hits on him( in the passing game) on Playa other QBs would have gotten the flag.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Who? Me. Certainly early on he ‘shook up the World’. Not so much in recent years. Allen may follow this career trajectory, but not for a while.

2 seasons ago, he may have produced one of the most amazing offensive years a QB ever has:  34 passing TD's, 3 rushing TD's......the rest of the TEAM produced 1 other TD all year.

He literally was their entire offense, while their D was in decline.  He was their leading rusher in a backfield that included Eddie Lacy, Mike Davis, Thomas Rawls, Chris Carson... 

Last year, 35 more TDs over 7 INTs. He is at the absolute peak of his powers right now.   He is the most exciting QB to watch in the NFL for years now.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

2 seasons ago, he may have produced one of the most amazing offensive years a QB ever has:  34 passing TD's, 3 rushing TD's......the rest of the TEAM produced 1 other TD all year.

He literally was their entire offense, while their D was in decline.  He was their leading rusher in a backfield that included Eddie Lacy, Mike Davis, Thomas Rawls, Chris Carson... 

Last year, 35 more TDs over 7 INTs. He is at the absolute peak of his powers right now.   He is the most exciting QB to watch in the NFL for years now.

If I had to choose between RW and CN, I'm taking Cam.

What intrigues me is we have a QB with the same size and skill set as Cam Newton, but smarter.

15 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Come on!!  Maybe in the sleaziest college football player HOF..

Look, his rookie season was his peak season as a passer.  His past 3 years, he struggled to crack 3500 yards once.  low 20's in passing TDs, career sub 60%.

No one is depending on Cam Newton's passing game to rack up wins any more.

Bills need a lot more from Allen than TT-plus type output.

Anyone who thinks Newton's best passing season was his rookie season is either a knave or a fool. How could you even contemplate saying that? My god. And comparing him to Taylor? Sheesh. 

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Agreed on this. Wilson is HOF player. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Anyone who thinks Newton's best passing season was his rookie season is either a knave or a fool. How could you even contemplate saying that? My god. And comparing him to Taylor? Sheesh. 

Agreed on this. Wilson is HOF player. 

The other poster was citing his "record breaking rookie season".  But really, there is only one other decent year passing (2015) and even there he couldn't top 4000 yards or 60%.  Since then, he's completely mediocre.  He's essentially an option QB at this point.

I wasn't comparing them as far as stature or even style of play, but after Newton's "best passing season" he put up the same numbers as TT 92016). 

1 hour ago, Figster said:

If I had to choose between RW and CN, I'm taking Cam.

What intrigues me is we have a QB with the same size and skill set as Cam Newton, but smarter.

Holy cow.....

Edited by Mr. WEO

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

The other poster was citing his "record breaking rookie season".  But really, there is only one other decent year passing (2015) and even there he couldn't top 4000 yards or 60%.  Since then, he's completely mediocre.  He's essentially an option QB at this point.

I wasn't comparing them as far as stature or even style of play, but after Newton's "best passing season" he put up the same numbers as TT 92016). 

Holy cow.....

Raw yardage is a sucker stat. Focus on it too much, and you'll begin to think that Drew Bledsoe was better than mediocre. Newton had 35 TDs to 10 INTs (notably better than any Bills QB in team history) and averaged a strong 7.8 yards per attempt. He led the league in TD percentage per pass thrown too. You do realize that he threw for fewer yards in 2015 because they almost always had the lead, don't you?? The Panthers led the league in scoring that year, for chrissake, but guess what: they were 27th in pass attempts! As for last year, no Bills QB has thrown for more TDs as Newton did since Jim Kelly in 1991. Do better.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Raw yardage is a sucker stat. Focus on it too much, and you'll begin to think that Drew Bledsoe was better than mediocre. Newton had 35 TDs to 10 INTs (notably better than any Bills QB in team history) and averaged a strong 7.8 yards per attempt. He led the league in TD percentage per pass thrown too. You do realize that he threw for fewer yards in 2015 because they almost always had the lead, don't you?? The Panthers led the league in scoring that year, for chrissake, but guess what: they were 27th in pass attempts! As for last year, no Bills QB has thrown for more TDs as Newton did since Jim Kelly in 1991. Do better.

I conceded that was his best year.  It was 4 seasons ago.  In the subsequent 3 seasons, Carolina was 15th, 12th and 14th in scoring.

And, really, buttressing you point by comparing Newton's anemic TD tally last season to the litany of mediocre or worse QBs the Bills have pushed onto the field since Kelly?  Come on!--You can do better.   The "mediocre" Bledsoe was still cranking out 23, 24 TD seasons back in a completely different NFL 10 years into his career.  In fact, the year before he finally retired, he was putting up Current Cam Newton stats for his 3rd team (also a 15th ranked offense).  That was 15 years ago.

That team will continue to struggle putting up points with Newton passing.  Their D is sputtering and he looks a lot different without a lead to save (last 3 seasons).