Many think Beane believes Allen should model his game after Cam Newton... but he hints it’s actually Russell Wilson

29 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I conceded that was his best year.  It was 4 seasons ago.  In the subsequent 3 seasons, Carolina was 15th, 12th and 14th in scoring.

And, really, buttressing you point by comparing Newton's anemic TD tally last season to the litany of mediocre or worse QBs the Bills have pushed onto the field since Kelly?  Come on!--You can do better.   The "mediocre" Bledsoe was still cranking out 23, 24 TD seasons back in a completely different NFL 10 years into his career.  In fact, the year before he finally retired, he was putting up Current Cam Newton stats for his 3rd team (also a 15th ranked offense).  That was 15 years ago.

That team will continue to struggle putting up points with Newton passing.  Their D is sputtering and he looks a lot different without a lead to save (last 3 seasons).

Lets not forget Newton has also scored a career 58 TD's on the ground.  Combined run and pass 28 more TD's then RW at this point in their pro careers. RW 212, Cam Newton 240

(Cam has started 10 more games then RW)

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

I conceded that was his best year.  It was 4 seasons ago.  In the subsequent 3 seasons, Carolina was 15th, 12th and 14th in scoring.

And, really, buttressing you point by comparing Newton's anemic TD tally last season to the litany of mediocre or worse QBs the Bills have pushed onto the field since Kelly?  Come on!--You can do better.   The "mediocre" Bledsoe was still cranking out 23, 24 TD seasons back in a completely different NFL 10 years into his career.  In fact, the year before he finally retired, he was putting up Current Cam Newton stats for his 3rd team (also a 15th ranked offense).  That was 15 years ago.

That team will continue to struggle putting up points with Newton passing.  Their D is sputtering and he looks a lot different without a lead to save (last 3 seasons).

My view that Bledsoe was mediocre rests on the fact that he was a terrible QB when facing winning teams. I can't scare up his record against winning teams at the moment, but it was scary bad -- much worse than one would expect -- and much commented on at the time when he was playing. 

20 minutes ago, Figster said:

Lets not forget Newton has also scored a career 58 TD's on the ground.  Combined run and pass 28 more TD's then RW at this point in their pro careers. RW 212, Cam Newton 240

(Cam has started 10 more games then RW)

So you would take Newton over Wilson as your QB because he is mainly a threat to score while running?  You can have him!

Their  career trajectories are diverging for the past 3 seasons.

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

My view that Bledsoe was mediocre rests on the fact that he was a terrible QB when facing winning teams. I can't scare up his record against winning teams at the moment, but it was scary bad -- much worse than one would expect -- and much commented on at the time when he was playing. 

They both lost a SB.  One is 3-4 in playoffs, the other 3-3. 

25 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They both lost a SB.  One is 3-4 in playoffs, the other 3-3. 

That's such a garbage stat. Newton's playoff performance is in line with his regular season performance - an 87.7 rating. Bledsoe's?? His postseason rating is 54.9, and in his three "wins," the offense put up 228, 234, and 346 yards. In that game where they put 346 yards, it was mostly rushing - Bledsoe was 14-24 for 164 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs, and a 58.3 rating. They won both of those games that season because of Belichick, who was the d coordinator by that point of the 1996 season. Not because of Bledsoe *by any stretch*. (I watched those games and remember them quite well.)

4 hours ago, Figster said:

If I had to choose between RW and CN, I'm taking Cam.

What intrigues me is we have a QB with the same size and skill set as Cam Newton, but smarter.

...DEAD on 'Fig.......smarter, humble and respectful of the game.......a recent Josh quote, "OUR team and OUR family" says it all........versus Cam at the podium with his fedora talkin' "about me".....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

That's such a garbage stat. Newton's playoff performance is in line with his regular season performance - an 87.7 rating. Bledsoe's?? His postseason rating is 54.9, and in his three "wins," the offense put up 228, 234, and 346 yards. In that game where they put 346 yards, it was mostly rushing - Bledsoe was 14-24 for 164 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs, and a 58.3 rating. They won both of those games that season because of Belichick, who was the d coordinator by that point of the 1996 season. Not because of Bledsoe *by any stretch*. (I watched those games and remember them quite well.)

Ok

On 7/18/2019 at 7:42 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

I just get amazed how undervalued Newton is here. He is a borderline HOFer

:lol:

In what league?  Sorry, he's not close at this point in his career.  Russell Wilson blows him away for example; their accomplishments are not even in the same ballpark.

Cam has three winning seasons and five losing ones.  He hasn't put back-to-back winning seasons together in his career.  His career QB rating is 86.  Throws just under 23 TDs per season (and 13 picks).  He has not elevated his team.

Wilson hasn't had a losing season out of seven.  Career rating of 100.  Throws 28 TDs per season and only 9 picks.  And get this -- Russell averages more yards per carry over his career than Cam (5.7 to 5.2).

Wilson can already get himself fitted for a gold jacket.  Cam needs some significant performances over the next five years to get into that conversation.

Cam is all hype.  Wilson is the real deal.  I hope Allen takes after the latter.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

On 7/19/2019 at 1:59 AM, Mr. WEO said:

Not lately.  Seahawks haven't had a top 10 D (scoring or yards) for the past 2 years.  In 2017, Wilson scored 37 of the team's 38 TDs (and STILL didn't win the MVP).

Other than perhaps Brady and Rodgers, Wilson has the best vision in the game.  He's very smart, freakishly athletic and has a big arm.  

That's the guy I want Allen to be.  Not rock-head Cam Newton.

I agree with u whole heartedly but if we want Allen to be like anyone why not go for Aaron Rodgers with legs. 

11 hours ago, eball said:

He has not elevated his team.

Did you SEE who his receivers were is 2015 when he was league MVP????

Benjamin, Rookie Funchess, Corey(Phily) Brown, Damiere Byrd, Ted Ginn ( sucked up to playing with Cam) Jericho Crochetty, Brenton Bersin....

Cam has consistently had crappy O-Lines and piss poor receiving Corps.....

Without Cam carrying that team they would have had NO winning seasons

Edited by Buffalo Boy
  • Like (+1) 1

On 7/20/2019 at 8:48 AM, eball said:

:lol:

In what league?  Sorry, he's not close at this point in his career.  Russell Wilson blows him away for example; their accomplishments are not even in the same ballpark.

Cam has three winning seasons and five losing ones.  He hasn't put back-to-back winning seasons together in his career.  His career QB rating is 86.  Throws just under 23 TDs per season (and 13 picks).  He has not elevated his team.

Wilson hasn't had a losing season out of seven.  Career rating of 100.  Throws 28 TDs per season and only 9 picks.  And get this -- Russell averages more yards per carry over his career than Cam (5.7 to 5.2).

Wilson can already get himself fitted for a gold jacket.  Cam needs some significant performances over the next five years to get into that conversation.

Cam is all hype.  Wilson is the real deal.  I hope Allen takes after the latter.

Eball logic:

cam - heisman, Ncaa championship, rookie passing records, NFL MVP, SB runner up = hype

Allen - 56% college passer in the MWC, didn’t make either all MWC teams his last year, 52% nfl passer, more ints than tds = hope

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Eball logic:

cam - heisman, Ncaa championship, rookie passing records, NFL MVP, SB runner up = hype

Allen - 56% college passer in the MWC, didn’t make either all MWC teams his last year, 52% nfl passer, more ints than tds = hope

Please tell me where I mentioned Josh Allen anywhere in my post other than to say I hope he models himself after Russell Wilson. 

You’re a dolt. Get a grip. And please tell me why having hope for Josh Allen is a bad thing or something to be ridiculed?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Please tell me where I mentioned Josh Allen anywhere in my post other than to say I hope he models himself after Russell Wilson. 

You’re a dolt. Get a grip. And please tell me why having hope for Josh Allen is a bad thing or something to be ridiculed?

Pizza cutter behavior. All edge no point

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Eball logic:

I don't get comparing him to a player that has been in the league a while? how many nfl games has JA played?

so what I'm getting from this is that no one should have any hope for JA based off his college career and his rookie season.

biscuit here, mr. stats man has made it clear that everyone is just wasting their time hoping JA makes it in the nfl.

give me a ***** break

On 7/18/2019 at 4:17 PM, Shaw66 said:

I don't think Allen is anything like Newton, and I doubt Beane ever though so, either.  

Granted, they both are big and they both can run, but Allen's game is throwing the ball.  Cam isn't all that good a thrower.  

Idk he looks pretty similar when they run that draw out of the spread...

Josh Allen should model his game after..................

Ummmmmmmm.....................

Josh Allen.

Josh Allen is his own species. If we learned anything from his rookie season is that he is a unique talent. No comparisons needed.

Edited by njbuff

On 7/19/2019 at 10:16 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Correct, I said many think they selected a player who had similarities to Cam, and are modeling the offense after the Panthers. it’s been discussed a lot. Hopefully thread title was clear.  As far as Beane “hinting” about it being Russell Wilson, that was the reporter’s title 

Really? Was it the reporter who wrote that title? At newspapers, the reporters don't write the titles. And since nothing in the article says what the title does, I'd bet the same is true here ... that some editor somewhere looking for more hits jazzed up the headline by overpromising what was in the article.

So what Beane actually said was nothing more than that Beane wants Allen to do a better job of balancing the run and the pass, and that one example of a guy who did that was Wilson.

So, your title, "Many think Beane believes Allen should model his game after cam Newton ... but he hints it's actually Russell Wilson," has nothing in it of anything Beane actually said or implied. That headline is half your own mention of Cam and half a headline written by we know not who ... and nothing Beane actually said or implied.

What the reporter actually says in the article is simply that he used Wilson as an example. Your headline doesn't represent at all what the reporter was saying or what Beane said. I know it's the offseason but jeez.

Edited by Thurman#1