Many think Beane believes Allen should model his game after Cam Newton... but he hints it’s actually Russell Wilson

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/07/buffalo-bills-gm-hints-russell-wilson-would-be-a-good-model-for-josh-allen.html

“I think a guy that does a great job of it is Russell Wilson. He’s a guy that just lulls you to sleep, makes the throws, but all of a sudden they need a play and he keeps it. He doesn’t run that much, but he does it. He (just) doesn’t overdo it,” Beane told reporters at his last media availability before training camp in mid-June during an embargoed interview session. “So it’s just finding that balance of using my weapons when I can, let them move us, and all of a sudden the defense kind of loses sight of it.”

Beane’s contention is that Wilson has learned how to effectively deploy his running attack to benefit the team. Last season Allen had to runfor the Bills to stay competitive in games.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Wilson is an assassin with this legs. Like McDermott said, he lulls you into a false sense of security. Then, when Wilson goes take off, hes very agile, doesnt take contact, and knows when to get down/out of bounds.

Also, Rus has very very good pocket awareness. In turn, it allows him to deploy his running more sparingly as he doesnt rely on it, but uses it as a last resort.

That being said, hopefully Allen's mentality can be to develop as a passer and not fall into using his legs, while they are elite, we need him to be more Wilson than Newton!

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think Allen is anything like Newton, and I doubt Beane ever though so, either.  

Granted, they both are big and they both can run, but Allen's game is throwing the ball.  Cam isn't all that good a thrower.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't think Allen is anything like Newton, and I doubt Beane ever though so, either.  

Granted, they both are big and they both can run, but Allen's game is throwing the ball.  Cam isn't all that good a thrower.  

Well, Russ is a very accurate passer and that wasn’t Cam’s strength ... I like that he wants him to model his game after him as to “when” to run but I don’t see many other similarities to Russ

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

wilson avoids the big hits whereas cam tries to run guys over all the time and gets hurt all the time.  wilson hasnt missed a game.  both qbs enjoy tops defenses that keep them in games along with a nice run game.  

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

agree 100%. josh allen should model his game for josh allen...period. he has skills that none of those others have. i hope he doesn't try to be someone else...make his own brand.

and i believe he will.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

agree 100%. josh allen should model his game for josh allen...period. he has skills that none of those others have. i hope he doesn't try to be someone else...make his own brand.

and i believe he will.

Great qoute

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

and i believe he will.

I see no lies 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree with this, I think we would all be very happy if Allen became Willson esq. 

Go Bills!!!

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

wilson avoids the big hits whereas cam tries to run guys over all the time and gets hurt all the time.  wilson hasnt missed a game.  both qbs enjoy tops defenses that keep them in games along with a nice run game.  

Not lately.  Seahawks haven't had a top 10 D (scoring or yards) for the past 2 years.  In 2017, Wilson scored 37 of the team's 38 TDs (and STILL didn't win the MVP).

Other than perhaps Brady and Rodgers, Wilson has the best vision in the game.  He's very smart, freakishly athletic and has a big arm.  

That's the guy I want Allen to be.  Not rock-head Cam Newton.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I fully agree.  Physically, they are very similar - big, athletic, with a strong arm, but I don't get the sense that their pro game is going to be at all similar.  I expect a much more varied passing game with Allen.  I think the last game last season versus Miami was a hint of that.  It's not that Allen is going to swear off the long ball, but it's merely going to be a piece of his arsenal, not the whole thing

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

The guy who set rookie passing records and won a MVP with his best receiver being Ted Ginn isn’t a thrower.  Haha.  It’s amazing how much Cam gets talked down here.  He isn’t the best throwing qb but if Allen comes close to Newton, we will build a statue for him. 

And Wilson is a really accurate passer.  He was 70% his last year on college.  Also, because his size, he can avoid hits where big guys liek Allen, Newton, and Big Ben might not be able to.

41 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I fully agree.  Physically, they are very similar - big, athletic, with a strong arm, but I don't get the sense that their pro game is going to be at all similar.  I expect a much more varied passing game with Allen.  I think the last game last season versus Miami was a hint of that.  It's not that Allen is going to swear off the long ball, but it's merely going to be a piece of his arsenal, not the whole thing

Newton averages 231.5 passing yards/ game for his career.  Allen surpassed that number once as a rookie.

I’m not even crapping on Allen.  I just get amazed how undervalued Newton is here. He is a borderline HOFer.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

And both are top 10 QBs.  Again if Allen approaches either, we will be very lucky (though some people think Newton sucks for some weird reason). 

I don’t think he sucks, but I also don’t think he’s top 10. More middle of the pack to me. It’s a year old so I won’t link, but pulled up a reasonable looking list that had him at 15. To each their own. 

• Like (+1) 3

Beane WANTS Allen to play more like Russ but its pretty clear which of the two QBs he plays most like. Does that mean he will for the rest of his career? Remains to be seen but this kid's ceiling to me, IN MY OPINION (relax guys don't get upset), is to have a Cam-like career with SLIGHTLY better passing stats. 

Edited by Elite Poster

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

I don’t think he sucks, but I also don’t think he’s top 10. More middle of the pack to me. It’s a year old so I won’t link, but pulled up a reasonable looking list that had him at 15. To each their own. 

I think a healthy Cam is top 10.  I also think people underestimate how crappy his receivers - Kelvin Benjamin!!!, Devin Fuchess, Ted Ginn are some of his past number 1s.

but either way, Cam’s resume through his first year on the nfl is on a different planet than Allen’s.  Hopefully Allen gets there and I love the optimism but some of these expectations are out of whack.  Let’s start with basic stuff like 3,000 passing yards and 20 tds before we compare him to hall of famers.  Of course, I used to compare JP to Favre so what do I know!   

11 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

Beane WANTS Allen to play more like Russ but its pretty clear which of the two QBs he plays most like. Does that mean he will for the rest of his career? Remains to be seen but this kid's ceiling to me, IN MY OPINION (relax guys don't get upset), is to have a Cam-like career with SLIGHTLY better passing stats. 

I would be so mad if Allen played like a guy who set rookie passing records, won on every level, won a heisman and MVP, and went to a SB.  So mad!

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think a healthy Cam is top 10.  I also think people underestimate how crappy his receivers - Kelvin Benjamin!!!, Devin Fuchess, Ted Ginn are some of his past number 1s.

but either way, Cam’s resume through his first year on the nfl is on a different planet than Allen’s.  Hopefully Allen gets there and I love the optimism but some of these expectations are out of whack.  Let’s start with basic stuff like 3,000 passing yards and 20 tds before we compare him to hall of famers.  Of course, I used to compare JP to Favre so what do I know!   

I would be so mad if Allen played like a guy who set rookie passing records, won on every level, won a heisman and MVP, and went to a SB.  So mad!

Oh Lordy! I wasn’t comparing him to Allen, who has everything to prove. I’m just saying Cam is not Wilson. Again, not hating on the guy, just don’t think he’s quite top 10. You like him more than I do, fair enough.