Fiftieth Anniversary of Apollo 11 Moon Landing

SoTier

Does anyone know... If you got a real high powered telescope... Tech has to be awesome today.  Is it possible to zoom in to the Sea of Tranquility and see the American flag.  Is that possible.  Just to shut all these wacky Flat Earthers, YouTube influencers, etc... up.

How do you prove to these people, that spent their whole lives thinking everything is one grand conspiracy, that it's NOT really one grand conspiracy?

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Does anyone know... If you got a real high powered telescope... Tech has to be awesome today.  Is it possible to zoom in to the Sea of Tranquility and see the American flag.  Is that possible.  Just to shut all these wacky Flat Earthers, YouTube influencers, etc... up.

How do you prove to these people, that spent their whole lives thinking everything is one grand conspiracy, that it's NOT really one grand conspiracy?

Who cares what losers like that think 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The flag from Apollo  11 was most likely blown down when the LM launched from the moon.

By the way, it looks the way id did because of its design.

Take a square of aluminum foil. f\Fold it up. Then unfold it an see what it looks like.

Knowing this, they intentionally placed flags from subsequent landings further from the LM.

To your question, I'm not aware of pics from high powered scopes on earth, but subsequent lunar orbit vehicles have taken pics of the stuff left behind on the surface.

One interesting thing  I learned ;last year.

One of the missions was near an older probe of some sort, and NASA had an astronaut take a smear and bag it.

When it was examined back on earth it had living biologic material on it.

The "stuff" had survived the wicked moon environment and was alive.

Ever cautious, the US always ensures its stuff is vaporized of otherwise destroyed to prevent placing living stuff on other celestial bodies.

Other countries do not.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Augie said:

Well, now THAT is just INSANE!!!

Makes you realize exactly how bold this was! 

It was the equivalent of the Vikings crossing the North Atlantic without the compass and astrolabe, just using the stars and maybe a lodestone.

Edited by SoTier

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I have heard you can IF you know where to look.  (At least from the nerds on Big Bang Theory) 

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

Who cares what losers like that think 

LOL

The following is a paid advertisement from @ExiledInIllinois

How to See All Six Apollo Moon Landing Sites

https://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/how-to-see-all-six-apollo-moon-landing-sites/

Apollo-all-LRO-views_ST.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Pretty suspicious that they conveniently ‘left out’ Apollo 18...?

(don’t even bother...)

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....where the hell is Walmart??...........

The flag was starched that way, like Trump’s hairdo

Edited by row_33
  • Haha (+1) 2

I was 12 when it  happened. They landed on the moon at about 3 PM our time. They stepped on the moon at about 11PM.  I remember going outside at about 10 and looking up at the moon (it was a perfectly clear night)  and was blown away by realizing that there were people on it at that very time.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SoTier said:

It was the equivalent of the Vikings crossing the North Atlantic without the compass and astrolabe, just using the stars and maybe a lodestone.

Or the ancient Polynesians sailing all around the South Pacific knowing where the islands were.  Those islands proverbial needles in a haystack, sailing to get there by just the feel of the waves pressing on the rudder of their boat which in turn was subtly pressing on the their ***** (that filter word is scrot...)... IE: In other layman terms, the ancient Polynesian sailed the whole freak ass S.Pacific via their nutsacks!!!!

LoL... Speaking of nutsacks... I learned this from @BringBackFergy & @Cripple Creek ...Those two know all about subtle pressure on a ***** and busting balls! They'd have know problem sailing from Tahiti to Fiji and back on a cloudy night or finding Pearl Harbor in the dark so they can drop their bombs!!! The cognitive ability that mankind had lost through the millennia is still firmly harnessed in the noggins of those two!  There is hope for humanity that this ability will someday be passed on to future generations.  @Gugny is already camped out waiting by that doorbuster of information and maybe one or two or three FREE beers!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

I am thinking of going to see "Apollo 50: Go for the Moon" tonight.

National Air and Space Museum is showing a recreation of launch of Apollo 11 of Saturn V rocket projected on the east face of the Washington Monument.  

https://airandspace.si.edu/go-for-the-moon?fbclid=IwAR3Z9p6u72-I2Efm8_B2tWs1vMV9c-dITXCJrvvxa8cbowRQjo2-9CdOcVc

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/article232873077.html

I am old enough  (was 7 at time and argued with my mother about watching Star Trek which was moved to 10pm that season with so I was into space ;10 pm was past my bedtime and summer was time for me to catch up on episodes I missed) to remember launch on TV vaguely.  I wonder if the presentation will be as good as advertised.

I need to work a 12 however tomorrow on a shifted schedule which I hate. I go to work at 9 AM when I normally go to work at 5 pm and this messes my sleep schedule.

For those of you who have ROKU, they have several documentaries on Apollo 11 to stream for free in honor of the 50th anniversary.   I got email on it today, so it's probably for today and tomorrow.