Fiftieth Anniversary of Apollo 11 Moon Landing

SoTier

47 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'd say I'm less than half kidding.  More of me believes that we landed on the moon, than that we didn't.  But I am certainly not convinced.  And I do think this is a good question (how a flag waves with no air).

its is not a standard flag.   it seems to be "shaped" as if it's blowing in air .

https://www.space.com/16798-american-flags-moon-apollo-photos.html

nZXXqABLkdgVJxQhXy4sEA-650-80.jpg

https://www.space.com/14874-apollo-11-landing-site-moon-photo.html

I was 8 years old and fascinated with NASA at the time.  I had a very cool model of the Saturn 5 Rocket with the LEM inside the command module stage (I think that's where it sat).  I'll never forget laying on the floor watching the landing on TV and thinking holy cow!!!  Coolest thing ever!!  

26 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I was 8 years old and fascinated with NASA at the time.  I had a very cool model of the Saturn 5 Rocket with the LEM inside the command module stage (I think that's where it sat).  I'll never forget laying on the floor watching the landing on TV and thinking holy cow!!!  Coolest thing ever!!  

It was below the service module.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'd say I'm less than half kidding.  More of me believes that we landed on the moon, than that we didn't.  But I am certainly not convinced.  And I do think this is a good question (how a flag waves with no air).

It isn't waving.

It is displaying the way it was built.

My father was a GE engineer and he worked at a place called Apollo Park in Daytona Beach, across the street from the speedway, race track, and dog track.  I was 12 years old in July 1969.  I was totally into it, as were many of my class mates whose fathers also worked at space related industries.  The idea that it wasn’t real wasn’t even thought about.  In school, they would have us all go out to the PE fields to watch rocket launches.  That was a memorable time period. 

3 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Not to keep beating on this but you also have a motivated political entity in the Soviet Union to say that you faked it and now for sure the Americans cannot be trusted.

Absolutely.  Moreover, I doubt that Von Braun would have been party to faking it.  He was dedicated -- had been dedicated his entire life -- to space exploration.  He was also an amoral individual.  His v-1 and v-2 rocket programs for the Nazis furthered his research into rocketry, and actually hindered the German war effort because they diverted so many resources from designing/building better and more war planes.  He was courted by both the US and the Soviets even before the fall of Germany, and he chose the US because he figured he'd be allowed to do rocket research while the Soviets would have him working on missiles.  I have no doubt that he would have defected to the USSR without thinking twice if the US abandoned the manned space program and replaced it with some elaborate sham.  He was available to the highest bidder and his price was space exploration.

Von Braun's idea was one massive vehicle that landed on and launched from the moon.

A young American kid came up with the idea of having two separate vehicles that would separate and rejoin after the moon landing. 

When seeing the presentation, Von Braun agreed, and that's what we did.

17 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Absolutely.  Moreover, I doubt that Von Braun would have been party to faking it.  He was dedicated -- had been dedicated his entire life -- to space exploration.  He was also an amoral individual.  His v-1 and v-2 rocket programs for the Nazis furthered his research into rocketry, and actually hindered the German war effort because they diverted so many resources from designing/building better and more war planes.  He was courted by both the US and the Soviets even before the fall of Germany, and he chose the US because he figured he'd be allowed to do rocket research while the Soviets would have him working on missiles.  I have no doubt that he would have defected to the USSR without thinking twice if the US abandoned the manned space program and replaced it with some elaborate sham.  He was available to the highest bidder and his price was space exploration.

It wouldn't be a matter of Von Braun faking it.  There could have been a hangup in an area where he had little expertise such as deep space life support.  The rub is when the government decides to fake a landing for a political agenda.  Does he stay silent or speak out.  He probably would have known he had a very short leash in terms of speaking out without being a target of the CIA for elimination.

7 hours ago, SoTier said:

Saturday, July 20, 2019, is the fiftieth anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing.  The Weather Channel has been showing lots of info snippets since Tuesday, the fiftieth anniversary of the Apollo launch.  One of them I found interesting, having worked in IT for 30 years, is that the chips in today's musical/talking greeting cards have more power than the guidance system that took Apollo 11 astronauts to the moon and back!  PBS had an American Experience episode on it, and I'm sure that there will be more programs on Saturday.

Well, now THAT is just INSANE!!!

Makes you realize exactly how bold this was! 

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

It was below the service module.

Well I was close. That was many many many brain cells ago.  LOL

Just now, Augie said:

Well, now THAT is just INSANE!!!

Makes you realize exactly how bold this was! 

Slide rule, pencil, Marlboro's, coffee and bourbon baby!!  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Slide rule, pencil, Marlboro's, coffee and bourbon baby!!  

So, in other words, they were wingin’ it! 

Yeah, it would have taken a LOT of bourbon to get me on that ride! 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

So, in other words, they were wingin’ it! 

Yeah, it would have taken a LOT of bourbon to get me on that ride! 

Oh no they new exactly what they were doing.  Why we made it there and back so many times with little incidents.  Just show how ***** smart they were.  

And those guys had balls.  Why don't you fix your little problem and light this candle.  

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

Lots of Starch!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

They have an Apollo 11 exhibit at the Nixon Library.  Going to see it Saturday.  Will report back.  

And it just dawned on me I’ll be there on the 50th anniversary of the actual landing.  It will likely be busy but absolutely worth it.