Baker Mayfield thought the Patriots would trade up to draft him

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

LOL, thats some ego. Would be quite a trade up for the Pats to get the first overall.

You honestly think that Mayfield came up with the Pats moving to 2 to draft him all by himself?  That would’ve been something from his agent.  Incidentally, I heard a rumor that Belichick loved Baker and that the Pats were investigating how far they could move up if he started to fall.  It was one of dozens of predraft rumors everyone hears, but it sure fits here.

I am surprised he didn’t say Broncos at 2. There’s a video of his draft day party.  Just minutes before the draft officially started his agent tells him that they Broncos have a deal in place for 2 and that they’re taking him there. 

On 7/19/2019 at 9:20 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

I dont see where or how he is being a deuchebag, how any of that relates to Hue, etc.  

All he said was he was not aware the Browns were going to draft him and he clearly had info that suggested the Pats had potential interest in trading up for him.  I am failing to see how there is even a sliver of anything here that would even remotely suggest anything he said was him being a "deuchebag".  And I am even more baffled how anyone could even ask if this some kind of grudge he is holding, I mean all he said was he didnt know the Browns were going to take him and had thought Pats were gonna make a move.  

IMO, these are some far fetched questions you are asking here off of really nothing.  

Far fetched?  4 pages of rational discussion begs to differ.  

Sure this topic is nothing major.  

in quiet time we discuss what news / rumors there are.  

My question (originally) wanted to see people’s opinions.    

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

48 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

...probably just my archaic, old school opinion bud, but I prefer the guys who early on are humble, mindful and respectful of the game and those that paved their way, letting their play between the stripes do the "talkin' initially" (HINT: Josh Allen)...again my opinion, but guys like Baker, RG II 5/8, Cam or even Kaep who make it about ME far too soon just rub me the wrong way....and I'm sure others see it as brash or brazen confidence, with a little swagger thrown in....I respect those despite us differing.....

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Just because people indulged your far fetched questions doesn’t mean the questions were grounded in the reality of what was actually said by Baker.

On 7/18/2019 at 10:56 AM, Logic said:

This was my worst nightmare on draft day.

It's bad enough that I knew the Bills weren't going to draft Mayfield (which is who I wanted the most, but was someone I knew wasn't a Beane/McDermott guy). Once all the reports started coming out that the Patriots would trade up for him, I was terrified. First of all, it would be SO Belichick after years of accumulating and hoarding draft picks to suddenly give up the farm for a QB. And you know what? He'd be proven right and hailed as a genius AGAIN for all eternity because Mayfield would have absolutely KILLED IT in New England. I mean...just look at how well he played last year on a dysfunctional Cleveland team with all-time bad coaching. Now imagine him in the McDaniels offense. Sheesh.

I was also confused because it seemed like the Bills tried to trade up to two but Gettleman wouldn't budge. It didn't make sense to me, then, that the Patriots, who picked much lower than the Bills and had less compelling draft ammunition, could somehow pull it off. I wouldn't have put it past Belichick to find a way, though.

In the end, Mayfield wound up going somewhere where I can safely sort of enjoy his great career and douchey antics from afar. Having to face him twice a year and watch the Pats dynasty go another two decades would have been unbearable.

There was no way the Patriots would have been able to maneuver around Buffalo or couple of other teams, even IF the Giants were willing to make that trade. But I knew a lot of people who just assumed if NE wanted it, it would happen. That NY would somehow do the trade and take less from the Patriots because Belichick. 

On 7/20/2019 at 2:00 AM, Ol Dirty B said:

Wow, would this board ever say the same thing about Lamar Jackson or Tyrod Taylor if they behaved the same way? Because neither of the things you are talking about have to do with performance. 

A guy calls out coaches, teammates, runs from the cops... He's a good dude. 

The hypocrisy on this board is beyond reproach. 

But don't you dare hold out for your money Le'veon or Melvin.

Bell and Gordon are right to hold out for whatever money they can get. The union contract is one-sided - it gives management the power to cut a player or force a renegotiation at any time, but the player has no recourse if he outplays his paycheck. It's doubly bad for running backs, who have a shorter career span anyway. They're run ragged and worn down during their rookie contract then discarded. If they're lucky they can get the franchise tag forced on them, but they will rarely have a chance for a free-agent deal in their prime.

Sorry, that was off the subject. Sometimes I just have to go off on a rant. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Dave Allen said:

Bell and Gordon are right to hold out for whatever money they can get. The union contract is one-sided - it gives management the power to cut a player or force a renegotiation at any time, but the player has no recourse if he outplays his paycheck. It's doubly bad for running backs, who have a shorter career span anyway. They're run ragged and worn down during their rookie contract then discarded. If they're lucky they can get the franchise tag forced on them, but they will rarely have a chance for a free-agent deal in their prime.

Fine with me. I completely agree with your post. I think a lot of people in general, not just on this board wouldn't.

6 hours ago, Dave Allen said:

Yeah and players can sit out 10 games and collect full year credit. Absolutely one sided.  

Or refuse to fully play because of planters fakeitis and still collect salary.

Or collect large signing bonus on new contract and show up in camp out of shape and be cut to go to another team in a few months when they made effort to get in shape.

Or get suspended and keep pay because Jim Overdorf neglected to include clause to recover it which is same issue some teams are trying to prevent.

Edited by Limeaid

16 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Just because people indulged your far fetched questions doesn’t mean the questions were grounded in the reality of what was actually said by Baker.

It looks as if you are arguing just to argue again.  

P.S.  No one is forcing you to post about this insignificant topic. 

15 hours ago, Dave Allen said:

There was no way the Patriots would have been able to maneuver around Buffalo or couple of other teams, even IF the Giants were willing to make that trade. But I knew a lot of people who just assumed if NE wanted it, it would happen. That NY would somehow do the trade and take less from the Patriots because Belichick. 

Beyond the "fact" that any first rounder from NE*** in the current draft and a first rounder in next seasons draft would net the team basically TWO low 2nd rounders. 

Is Baker worth two 1's and two 2's?   

NE*  guards its draft picks like a dragon guards its horde of gold. 

22 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

EGO.  Another item to factor in.  (plural) EGO's.  How many EGO's can the new HC control?  

Having multiple EGO's could succeed in a team with chemistry.    That is not where the Browns are at this point. 

Leggo my ego?!  ?

On 7/18/2019 at 11:15 PM, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Sports media sucks.  If he answers the question (based on information from his agent-the guy in the know), he is a loud mouth.  If he doesn't answer, he is a robot and giving non-answers. 

Yeah, I'm sure that's the way it happened.

Out of nowhere the reporter said, "By the way, did you think the Pats were going to trade up for you in the draft?"  Poor guy was trapped.

But more, in the modern world, there's nothing wrong with being Crash Davis and giving out non-answers. If you don't want to answer, it's what you should do, and everyone will understand. "The Pats? Golly, who am I to guess at what they were going to do? I'm just happy I'm with the Cleveland Browns, the greatest franchise in the National Football League." He'd have been showered with love for that answer.

37 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I spel very purly and my gramma is much worse 

I fixed them for you 

Why do I get the feeling this is going to play out like a sequel to ‘Inglorious Basterds’?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Because that’s the way Tarantino spelled it!
  • Haha (+1) 1