Baker Mayfield thought the Patriots would trade up to draft him

There are just TOO many roses being thrown the Browns way when they haven't accomplished a DAMN thing.

The Browns have a few combustible personalities that can bring that entire team down.

They had better watch themselves.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Baker is a douche definitely.  He is also a pretty good QB so he is aloud to be a douche.  I cant wait to see Cleveland pick high in the draft again after that team implodes.  They should have never traded for OBJ.  Far too many egos on that team.

I wouldn't bet on that. They have a very talented roster and a good coach. Expect a dog fight (no pun intended) when we play them.

18 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

I feel he’s just being petty for no reason. I watched Hard Knocks and sure, Hue sucked as a head coach. Never should have been given the second year. But does Baker assume that’s Hue’s decision to make? It’s not like Hue hired himself. How about just being grateful a team took you first overall. Then, he stares down Hue and trash talks him for going to a “rival team” as if Hue had job offers from 31 teams after being canned from the Browns for being the worst head coach in NFL history. Just a lot of pettiness for no reason. 

He’s just petty and dumb enough to say what he’s thinking at the moment. That’s why reporters flock to him asking piercing questions. They know they’ll get great copy from the simpleton. He thinks he’s popularly glib. The press look at him as hungry piranha finding raw flesh. This won’t end well, imo.

I said it before the draft last year and I stick to it now. Baker is that dude. He will be the Browns franchise QB for years to come. Will he ever be Brady, Manning, Rodgers, or Brees elite type? Probably not, but he will be a Matt Ryan or Russell Wilson level QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, StHustle said:

I wouldn't bet on that. They have a very talented roster and a good coach. Expect a dog fight (no pun intended) when we play them.

Oh they have a good coach.  You know this from all his time as a HC in the NFL.  He is an unknown and you are correct about the talent level.  If he can handle those personalities that have already come at each other through media then it wont be hard to win with that roster.  After all look what Gregg Williams did as interim.  They have added to it since.

5 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Mayfield sucks 

Dont care for his personality off the field, but this statement had better be a troll job.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

9 hours ago, jethro_tull said:

two things

1. BM has the perfect initials.  

2. I am so happy he is not a Bill.  

1. :lol:
  2. :thumbsup: 
9 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

How does this:

"Mayfield told ESPN that before draft day, he didn’t know he was the Browns’ pick — and that he actually thought the Browns were going to pass on him, and the Patriots would trade up to take him at No. 2 overall."

bring about a discussion of him possibly being a douche bag? He did not say he wanted to be drafted by them. In fact, he is being marginally modest by saying he didnt expect to be picked #1

As I stated  ...   I heard differing opinions and that it was worthy of discussion.   Thus far the hunch seems to be right.  

6 hours ago, TtownBillsFan said:

He's an EXTREME competitor, and makes note of every slight against him.   He has that win-at-any-cost mentality, and sometimes that can get one in trouble (the planting the flag was bad optics, but for good reason, if you know the story behind it).

A mental note for motivation or a written note to be crossed off after some type of vindication?   

Would petty be better than douchey?   LOL     just kidding 

P.S.    Josh looks like an EXTREME competitor too.   I don't see too many antics from him.  ;) 

The good question that was asked ...  What effect will all of this preseasons hype have on him?     We'll see in the next 6 months.

Some media heads are crowning him King of the North

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

19 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I used to think he was a giant (or little douche). But he is really good, really good.  He’s the next Brees.  

He can actually be both. I think he has achieved the first and has the potential to achieve the second...

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

ALL NEWS MEDIA sucks nowadays. It's all sensationalism 

Yes journalism was soooo much better in the "good old days" when reporters didn't report news that didn't reflect well on powerful politicians (as in it was well known among the Washington press corps that Kennedy was bringing call girls into the White House ... at the height of the Cold War no less) or national news media persistently ignored violence, including lynchings, against blacks in the South or when media empire builders like Hearst stirred up war fever against Spain in the run up to the Spanish American War.  

The news media has ALWAYS been about sellling newspapers or advertising space, so it has promoted some stories, suppressed others, and even made up some news as publishers deemed necessary to advance their motivations.

On 7/18/2019 at 12:39 PM, YoloinOhio said:

They had two firsts 

On 7/18/2019 at 1:06 PM, Aussie Joe said:

Two low firsts..23 and 31... 

Giving up a hell of a lot more to get to number 2...

There was speculation of what the Bills( they had two firsts as well)  had to give up to get from 12 to 2 and it was insane...Doubt it was possible for  the Patriots  to able to get there..

Yeah, what Aussie said.  I vaguely remember at the time thinking the Patriots were just too far down the order to make a move.  Moving up 20+ spots in the first round is exponentially more difficult than in later rounds.

On 7/18/2019 at 6:03 AM, ShadyBillsFan said:

OK.  I was going to leave this buried in the generic Around the NFL thread but after the comments it seems this may be a HOT topic 

Is Baker being a douchebag or not?  

He's holding a grudge against Hue ...  after less than half a season?  

Why? Because he let Tyrod start the season for the Browns?  

I dont see where or how he is being a deuchebag, how any of that relates to Hue, etc.  

All he said was he was not aware the Browns were going to draft him and he clearly had info that suggested the Pats had potential interest in trading up for him.  I am failing to see how there is even a sliver of anything here that would even remotely suggest anything he said was him being a "deuchebag".  And I am even more baffled how anyone could even ask if this some kind of grudge he is holding, I mean all he said was he didnt know the Browns were going to take him and had thought Pats were gonna make a move.  

IMO, these are some far fetched questions you are asking here off of really nothing.  

On 7/18/2019 at 12:20 PM, Mrbojanglezs said:

ALL NEWS MEDIA sucks nowadays. It's all sensationalism 

He volunteered it. I don't really feel strongly one way or the other on him. However, the guy agreed to do an ESPN feature and just said this. It wasn't a mandatory press conference with the media where someone asked "Where do you think you'd be if Cleveland didn't draft you number 1?"

And even in that case he could have easily said something along the lines of I don't have to worry about that because I was drafted undeservingly so number 1, and in the right place.

Instead he spouts off at the mouth like he usually does.

So many of you hate the media because you simply have no idea what you're talking about. Their is a reason why they teach journalists to write at a 3rd grade reading level, and it's not for the 3rd graders.

And on this Pats would have traded up to get me crap. The giants had plenty of offers, as soon as the Pats call, and I don't think they had enough to give up. Don't you think they're calling all the QB needy teams saying the Pats want to trade up for a QB but we don't know who and get surely a better offer? It was never happening.

21 hours ago, TtownBillsFan said:

I'm probably the biggest Baker Mayfield fan on this whole site, as I'm a die-hard SOONERS fan.  So yes, I was hoping we got him, however it had to happen.  I knew it probably wasn't going to happen, and hated it when we weren't able to trade up to get him.

Being in Sooner-land (blessed be!), I got to watch every game he ever played in (including while at Tech).  The guy is NOT a douchebag.  He's an EXTREME competitor, and makes note of every slight against him.   He has that win-at-any-cost mentality, and sometimes that can get one in trouble (the planting the flag was bad optics, but for good reason, if you know the story behind it).

I wish we'd have been able to get him, but hopefully JA makes that a moot point :)  (and I think he will!!!)  But I think Baker will make Cleveland fans happy for a couple decades.

I don't buy a jersey every year, but I have my authentic blue Allen jersey ready to go!  I think those two, along with Mahomes, will be the QB triplet that we talk about for the next 10-15 years, like we have Brees, Rivers, and Brady the last decade+.

The douche tried to run from the cops and got caught quickly. He is definitely in douche territory.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, TtownBillsFan said:

I'm probably the biggest Baker Mayfield fan on this whole site, as I'm a die-hard SOONERS fan.  So yes, I was hoping we got him, however it had to happen.  I knew it probably wasn't going to happen, and hated it when we weren't able to trade up to get him.

Being in Sooner-land (blessed be!), I got to watch every game he ever played in (including while at Tech).  The guy is NOT a douchebag.  He's an EXTREME competitor, and makes note of every slight against him.   He has that win-at-any-cost mentality, and sometimes that can get one in trouble (the planting the flag was bad optics, but for good reason, if you know the story behind it).

I wish we'd have been able to get him, but hopefully JA makes that a moot point :)  (and I think he will!!!)  But I think Baker will make Cleveland fans happy for a couple decades.

I don't buy a jersey every year, but I have my authentic blue Allen jersey ready to go!  I think those two, along with Mahomes, will be the QB triplet that we talk about for the next 10-15 years, like we have Brees, Rivers, and Brady the last decade+.

I like Baker.  He strikes me more as of someone who wears his heart on his sleeve vs a d-bag.  

27 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

The douche tried to run from the cops and got caught quickly. He is definitely in douche territor

Yeah awful move but I have heard him own up to this and admit he was in the wrong 

Edited by Another Fan
  • Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I like Baker.  He strikes me more as of someone who wears his heart on his sleeve vs a d-bag.  

Yeah awful move but I have heard him own up to this and admit he was in the wrong 

I’ll give the guy a chance. I hate some of it, but who wasn’t 20 and stupid at some point? I know I’m on the list! 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Wow, would this board ever say the same thing about Lamar Jackson or Tyrod Taylor if they behaved the same way? Because neither of the things you are talking about have to do with performance. 

A guy calls out coaches, teammates, runs from the cops... He's a good dude. 

The hypocrisy on this board is beyond reproach. 

But don't you dare hold out for your money Le'veon or Melvin.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

On 7/18/2019 at 9:03 AM, ShadyBillsFan said:

OK.  I was going to leave this buried in the generic Around the NFL thread but after the comments it seems this may be a HOT topic 

Is Baker being a douchebag or not?  

He's holding a grudge against Hue ...  after less than half a season?  

Why? Because he let Tyrod start the season for the Browns?  

LOL, thats some ego. Would be quite a trade up for the Pats to get the first overall.

• Like (+1) 1